Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A day at Total Performance

Terry, sometimes I sit and look at what I'm building and it does defy most logic. I'm building a car that will see limited use during a time when gas is skyrocketing out of control. Where is the logic in that? There really isn't any.

So, I sit and stare a little harder and remember a line from "The Godfather Part II". "This is the business we have chosen." Then, I figure out what I'm going to do to it next.... and I smile.:D

No Hot Rod has ever been built to be logical. That is why they usually got built to begin with. If I want to be logical, I can sell what I have and get a used Honda. Then, I'll drive it off a cliff and I won't be smiling. This hobby isn't for everyone. If it was, you'd see everyone driving around in a Hot Rod. I'm expressing myself and living a dream at the same time. It doesn't get any better and it never will.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up the things I need to overhaul the rear brakes and I'm adding a Lokar emergency brake while I'm at it. It's going to be a nice weekend. I'll be working on my Hot Rod and people will be cruising by, along with the rest of the world, in their cookie cutter cars and I'll be smiling.

A couple of points to keep in mind -

First off, a T is going weigh in around 1650 lbs. It doesn't take a lot of horsepressure to get in trouble with that light a car. And milder motors are not going to be so tough on mileage.

As Fred said, if we were all completely concerned about vehicle expense and mileage, there would be a Kia in every driveway, garage and parking place in the country.

Is a T practical? Nope, but how practical is a motorcycle or a boat? They are just as limited in use as a hot rod of any flavor. Look at Thomas as an example - he's looking to unload his bass boat so he can afford to build a T. He's trading one toy for another.

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of designing everything around the use of E-85 fuel. The only snag seems to be that it takes a bit more volume to produce equal power, as E-85 doesn't have quite the potential of gasoline. With a limited fuel tank size, I may have to give up on that idea.

Back in the day when 426 Hemi Chargers were being build, my Dad bought a 67 (I think). In California he traveled a lot from Woodland (outside of Sacramento) to Fresno. From what he told me he usually cruised along above 100. Yes, even though he used a radar detector, he still got tickets now and then.

Well, one trip it was so foggy he had to only go about 50. Just for the heck of it he calculated his gas mileage. He figured he was getting about 22 mpg at 50.

My Chevy Equinox just barely gets above that now.

Of course, even though I'll have a 440 on the car, I know that as long as I don't have to get to 45 mph in less than 2.5 seconds at each stoplight, my gas mileage will be fine, well, for a hotrod that is.

I rode in a Beetle once that had been converted to a Corvair 6 cylinder. Damn that thing was fast.

I'm planning on using a 350 SBC for motivation. I plan on keeping it stock. I have no need for a bunch of horsepower as the power to weight alone will make a T a reasonably quick car. I don't street race and I'm not installing a rollbar, so taking it to the track will not be an option. All I want to do is hold my own with traffic and cruise with as few problems as possible. I've had fast cars in the past, but I spent more time fixing them than I did driving them.:D
I figure around 250HP will get the job done and still be fun. Heck, I may even go with a 305 and a 2 barrel carb! I've heard from a few people that owned T's with big horse power who either changed to a smaller HP motor or sold them! They said the power was just too much for a small, light weight car like these.

On a side note, they sure LOOKED sweet!

I've decided on a 302 sb ford. 2.79:1 rear end. I think that should do just fine for gas mileage.

thomas:)

thomas said:
I've decided on a 302 sb ford. 2.79:1 rear end. I think that should do just fine for gas mileage.

thomas:)

A Ford engine in a Ford body!? Now that will be different! :lol: You world shaker!

I'd like a four-banger in my T. It would go with the satin finish and either wire or steel wheels. What four-banger to get is the question. However it would look cool.

Mike, My wife and I purchased the blue T-Bucket from Total Performance just before they closed their doors. I have done a lot of modifications since then and we have put a lot of miles on her. Unfortunately, the roof collapsed on our barn during the last snow storm and the car suffered some damage. The body will have to be repainted and a new windshield will have to be fabricated. I am hoping to have the beast back up and running in time for the spring. Rob from Huntington, L.I.

Attachments

• Buggy1.jpg
    Buggy1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 45

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back