Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adding brake and turn signal lights

roadmonster

I love driving my T at night and want to add some extra brake and signal lights for safety. I don't want them to show, just to glow on the street and the body when I signal or brake. I have an early GM tilt/tele column ('65?) and I already added a set of front turn signals to my in-headlight set just by tapping in to them. I suspect if I add more lights it may blow a fuse or affect the flash rate. What's the commonly accepted method for doing this?

I love driving my T at night and want to add some extra brake and signal lights for safety. I don't want them to show, just to glow on the street and the body when I signal or brake. I have an early GM tilt/tele column ('65?) and I already added a set of front turn signals to my in-headlight set just by tapping in to them. I suspect if I add more lights it may blow a fuse or affect the flash rate. What's the commonly accepted method for doing this?

Use L.E.D. lights.

Car is old-school and all bulbs. Nothing wrong with LEDs but I guess I'll just parallel the signal wire to a relay on each side.

You could just add lights in parallel with the existing ones and see how the flash rate looks. I doubt you'll blow a fuse, turn signals and brake lights don't take much juice.

I did that on the front with no problems but I'm afraid more lights, less resistance might blow a fuse. A second circuit with the same load just seems safer. But as you say, they don't seem to require much current.

Unless you use 28 guage wire, the factory uses 18 guage, you will be fine. The fuse should not be larger than 20 amp. Just think of the cougar's that had sequintial turn lights in the rear.

Stop & think about it , if you tow a trailer or rv , count how many extra bulbs +wiring you're connecting to the factory harness [usually 18 ga.] & that doesn't cause any problems..
dave

Good point about the trailer. I should just tap some extra lights in under the turtledeck. I want a big red halo on the street when I brake to supplement the feeble taillights!

I added some LED strips (cheap at JC Whitney) behind my rear grill for turn signals and a 3rd brake light (top middle):

Boooost.JPG

The added load is tiny, and the lights are really bright.

Amazing car. Suspension looks very capable. How is it on the street?

Thanks. I have a project plan "big redo of the old bucket" that you might enjoy. Rear end is a rare Halibrand QC IRS. Very nice on street and highway, best riding bucket I've ever been in. Long wheelbase 121" helps too.
new%2520wheels%2520019.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back