Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Auto-cancel Turn Signal Design

Looking good . . .

If you get some orders, making a pcb is the way to go . . .

I use Dip Trace for PCB layout and then use the toner transfer process to transfer to the board. Then plain old ferric chloride to etch.
Dip Trace has a free version that might have enough capability for your design.
I get very decent quality, working right in the kitchen. . . so nothing special needed.

P8104695 r.jpg
P8184734 r.jpg
P8184768 r.jpg

Damn you better hurry if you're going to Italy !!! Try to dodge the volcanic action!

Island Girl, you are full of surprises! What is that unit with the switches and buttons?

Island Girl, you are full of surprises! What is that unit with the switches and buttons?

It's a calibrated PWM controller I built for testing PWM controlled pumps or fans for hi end watercooled computer systems,

The 10 turn pot gives exactly 0 to 100% duty cycle, or it can be selectively used with 2 sets of hi-lo presets to give 0 to 100% of the motor's speed range.

If/when you don't need that kind of micro control, you can use the speed up/speed down buttons that break 100 of span into 64 increments.

Here is the unit again:

OjI1DxJsEszU-je6bzPUJGEJmMmSpaPS13NLGkWWB8_MEU_GF_KeDc4SGPdV7oftShwZKXrBjGEFnMIVK7GDhzK6lRT80o-agMyKjYuBdp453C201G4xQq4JsD_Jl9D3hmtTqQ4quAuTqBrVebWGFq-jSJBxZeAbFmK8LH1ZLZJTtK_2c3vNKCb3PqnGOqyWGC0TBHQEdSeS_Sjwh8r5LDTeEbr8GE-zEO165_ND_M-e0Y_d7ZwWvCc7MWfJMwQHeYkO9ezorFDB0m0XNvt_af7sGUU4opLp5Xg_b66uubxEJUHtrpjSjnpkoworba0V4GxX4707cb1ut8b1zCAh2cZ0J4mSuNY2_rTCPP7onfsAelqz9Rzl0Pu2JjGb4QU1CBJ2OyuKfLveFXP3m6xwVlsVWMigMSlePBo49DXq_3a9eWHwt-_s6O8BtNl0IuR8XfFULP6E0eZ-x50gLv39dLveiflXUEuXvY69eGdUDfOnTyw7pW6eYnqn4vZzDT15jx3x8YO3Asx4vxjlyg8BC8f-bHyavAqkA0qwcfkcA9v8gp3y59EfdOcbzqwGAj53K3y6WIfpElL_0epMzIq3xDhNbBnSu3EXDzQt4OE0VNLB24gbLpH-BU0c3lR-ZI2kylnjJKIAzKxM9vXOl4rhB0As=w616-h462-no

...and here is the test box I built to check out each unit:

v8Y5eiPgvGeqnih47AcMMQWPogopfDzZGG6FOD9jsu0cwH8jlAvHbjqYhVKFhsimlkr2n64wWLLnBw24aoDOJsqGuWhy_BPBIqwrebtHOSkqxejFjVnJp-4UTW5uoniQQV1WXwkAjC_043YkdGph6ePoFHWt8_YO-Gl4yeRwe4274XEWA8B8u4ZPofSugQBV6XAl9dZ7JNJJtG9he-Yy33WoN2MWbGzuaEing-2nDKofHHDAZwM23dnp-c7ltXgdQRyt4rOEDAe-yJI8nzfo9uMI4zOLEPdaKC6726_zovakNGp0AuwTH3QwqarWBitneY8FNqJZVXymnRyrlm9ilFlS3zuILMhJRAkls0Y0Yr_jbhyKZrOARMBY27430jNUb3L7vpuLi4CcGCkZQTopxqfvsAeHszgC3scoQ4Vn8YQkTAki3UypWAOSgQkKlqqxarfcHENphULmBlwkLI1aBvY3y3Mb2wfTVHD05H4B76gVepiLwWDKdqHDvwy02CdNJw7kRsej8b5BuN1oZsBVM0A-Kq6CLLnpQe1iB2CywtReyeP2HjT3Mf3Ee0lSWFHciEUcYwNnalQCFFF0Ti9jn_4mxrC4TEegX_3OQ__cFvSlkHY3OPKy5N3SnYkSnFlv-qlb8t2aoqUPbj1EVmyjmEqu3M0CdsYc2cOhw1jaQmXb9TwBOTj1VONxUwwFqSIYGEY0deb0IbWiKPZDXA=w768-h576-no

I'll have a movie up soon showing how it works.

I promised a movie and here it is. Just remember Spielberg started with stop-motion animation on his kitchen table, OK?

I'm working on an info sheet and an order form. Finished pricing, it will be about $85.

Last edited:
Excellent !!! Bravo !

Nice nails, did you get a manicure before shooting the video ???

Superb. Voice over sounds a little shaky though :geek::laugh:

Indy: Girlfriend, I didn't know you cared. No manicure and even forgot my candy apple red metalflake nail polish!
Gerry: Sad but true. I ruined my voice fronting heavy metal bands in the '70s, but that's a story for another time.

I tell ya, it was way easier designing and building this thing than getting set up to sell a few. But anything for my fellow bucketheads, the proud, the few, the crazy.

Nice watching your invention come to life... I used to love doing similar projects. Ive lost the drive somewhere along the way, but I enjoyed yours. I bet you will be suprised how many you can sell on eBay, etc... good luck!

Need the help of my fellow bucketeers. This is an info sheet on the unit: ACTS (auto-canceling turn signals) Take a look and let me know how I can improve it.

I'm working on the instructions now. Each user will get instructions and wiring diagram specific to their application. No guessing which wires you use. And Customer Support won't be in the third world; the user gets me when they call or email. I built it, I will make sure the user gets what he needs.

- (stop light turn, etc) ..... (stop light, turn signal, etc)
- Flash rate is fixed and independent of load ..... Flash rate is fixed at user set timing and independent of load
- Includes all wiring to reach your signals, dash and/or seat riser ..... Includes xx feet of wiring to reach your signals, dash and/or seat riser
- Each unit is personalized to your specific application ..... Each unit is personalized to your specific application. such as ???? Give an example

If I can create circuit diagrams using Microsoft Visio or add a special touch to a photo graph
using Photoshop, just let me know. Would love to help!

Found this from way back when. Maybe it will help.
Maybe their website?

Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™

• 1501_Turn_Signal_Module__74259.1378484337.107.123.jpg

Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™
$74.95
SKU:
Rating:
IcoRating5.gif

Quantity:

Product Description

The Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™ is an electronic flashing relay that is meant to completely replace your existing mechanical flashing relay(s), or be a stand alone flashing relay to vehicles that do not have turn signals. It works with both LEDs or incandescent lights up to 10 amps per output(20 Amps Max). This module does not require any load equalizers because it is a self-timed electronic relay.
Please Note:The Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™ requires momentary push buttons to operate (not included). Latching-type switches, or push to cancel type switches, will not work properly because these types of switches send constant power to your turn signals when on and will defeat the main purpose of the self canceling feature.

Features
• No flasher relay needed
• 3 user selected flash periods
• Automatically self-cancels
• Works with LEDs and incandescent
• Hazard flasher feature built in
• Waterproof and heat resistant

Turn Signal ModesMode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal light will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal light will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 :
Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

Specifications
Part Number: 01501
Weight: Less than 1lb
Amp Limit: 10 Amp Per Output (20 Amps Max)
System Requirement: 12VDC(-)
Attachment Method: Included Double Sided Adhesive Pad
Height (in): 5/8"
Length (in): 2 1/4"
Width (in): 1 5/8"
Wire Length: 5"-6"
Material: Anodized Aluminum Case with Heat and Water Resistant Potting
Wire: 16AWG - 20AWG
Package Contents: (1) Self Canceling Turn Signal Module™, (1) Adhesive Mounting Pad
Color / Finish: Black Anodized
Hardware Included: No
Connectors Included: No
Tools Required: Wire Cutters/Splices
Waterproof: No
Water Resistant: Yes
Heat and Vibration Resistant: Yes
Companion Product(s): n/a

Having a difficult time deciding which module best suits your needs? Take a look below to see the differences between them!

Warranty Information
Signal Dynamics Corporation warranties this product at time of purchase to be free from defects in material and workmanship to the original purchaser. Signal Dynamics Corporation's obligation under the warranty is limited to repairing or exchanging the unit if the unit is returned with the postage prepaid to Signal Dynamics Corp. within 1 year from the date of purchase. The warranty is void if the unit has been incorrectly installed, damaged, or tampered with. This warranty specifically limits Signal Dynamics Corporation's liability to unit replacement only and specifically excludes any consequential damage arising from use proper or improper or failure to properly function. A copy of your purchase receipt or other proof of purchase is required when applying for warranty consideration. See full Warranty and Return Policy!

Find Similar Products by Category

Customers Who Viewed This Product Also Viewed

Just time for a quick update. A rodder here saw my unit and wants one, but his car has combined brake and turn signals. That is, they share the same filament. I put in a mod to handle this situation. Still working on an order form and figuring out payment options, etc. Draft of the order form: Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free. The prices have changed a bit. The only cost options are the lighted pushbuttons and the combined brake/turn signals. Here is the lighted pushbutton:
api-ele-3-year-warranty-16mm-momentary-push-button-switch-on-off-stainless-steel-with-12v-led-angel-__51ugGJGFRnL.jpg

It's a trick piece that combines the turn pushbutton and the flashing indicator light. If you can easily reach your dash while driving, it's the cat's meow.

Last edited:
Everything moves slower up here in the winter. But I have the first production unit on the bench destined for a fellow rodder here. And I have been working on an order form:
ACTS order form
Please take a look and see how I can improve it.

Quick update. I'm still alive, but have been distracted by life, which keeps getting in the way. I finished the first unit with the lighted buttons for a friend here and he's happy. I had to bump the price to cover shipping, which is expensive (USPS, FedEx, UPS all about the same around $12). ACTS order form

Let me know if you are interested. Fill out an order form and email to docsmithlabs@gmail.com. No money needed until the tested unit ships to you. And if you don't like it return it and, if I've not absconded to Costa Rica, I'll refund to you.

Quick update. I'm still alive, but have been distracted by life, which keeps getting in the way. I finished the first unit with the lighted buttons for a friend here and he's happy. I had to bump the price to cover shipping, which is expensive (USPS, FedEx, UPS all about the same around $12). ACTS order form

Let me know if you are interested. Fill out an order form and email to docsmithlabs@gmail.com. No money needed until the tested unit ships to you. And if you don't like it return it and, if I've not absconded to Costa Rica, I'll refund to you.

As long as you're not absconding to the Dominican Republic, you should be OK

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back