Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Air shocks, no springs?

Corley

Has anyone tried using just air shocks on the rear, without any other springs? I'd think it would work OK for weight support based upon the specs., but there are other concerns too I suppose. I'm thinking of giving it a try... I imagine you would want to keep the air hoses isolated between sides, any other issues you can see? Just thinking outside the box here...

It might work, but I suspect the ride would be terrible. The valves in most air shocks will be way too stiff for a bucket.

Also, I would be concerned about the construction of the shocks when used for primary support, since they're only intended to supply extra load capacity. Years ago, when air shocks were used to "jack up" the rear of cars to put on wide tires, I saw numerous shocks come apart from the constant pounding.

Air bags work well (I have them on my car) and are designed for use as a primary spring. You have the advantage of using shocks more suited to the weight of a light car.

Mike

Has anyone tried using just air shocks on the rear, without any other springs? I'd think it would work OK for weight support based upon the specs., but there are other concerns too I suppose. I'm thinking of giving it a try... I imagine you would want to keep the air hoses isolated between sides, any other issues you can see? Just thinking outside the box here...

The standard air shocks that have been around forever won't work alone. There are air shocks used in off road racing that have been used, with great success for a while though. See here. They are all self contained, no airlines to run. I don't know if there is anyone making them for for street car use at this time.

The old load leveler air shocks, for instance for an ElCamino, usually died from too low air pressure, or no air pressure, resulting in the fabric rubbing against fabric and metal. The bags rarely died and the shafts rarely broke when properly inflated, leading me to think they probably are reliable enough for a little used 'T'. As for strength, they were rated in the 1100 lbs per pair range, which seems pretty close to what is needed for the back of a 'T' bucket. Sure, the shock's rod isn't real big, and it uses standard shock mounts, but apparently those worked OK for 1100 lbs for many miles. As for the shocking/valving charictoristics, I was thinking that the rear end of an ElCamino wouldn't have really stiff shocks to start with, so maybe they'd be OK that way, if perhaps a little on the stiff side, But mounted at an angle, maybe the shocking effect would not be all that bad. Has anyone tried them and have real world experience?

Given all that, I may be WAY off base, but I'd think the ride would not be that bad, they can obviously handle the weight without breakage for some time, and since they'd be aired up to at least some minumum all the time, bag rubbing would not be an issue, and they are quite inexpensive. (They are even available for lighter cars than the example ElCamino.) Shoot me down...

(Oh, and since they are probably Gabriel or Monroe, the valving is usually a peice of crap to start with anyway. HA!)

It might work, but I suspect the ride would be terrible. The valves in most air shocks will be way too stiff for a bucket.

Also, I would be concerned about the construction of the shocks when used for primary support, since they're only intended to supply extra load capacity. Years ago, when air shocks were used to "jack up" the rear of cars to put on wide tires, I saw numerous shocks come apart from the constant pounding.

Air bags work well (I have them on my car) and are designed for use as a primary spring. You have the advantage of using shocks more suited to the weight of a light car.

Mike

........ the shafts rarely broke ......... Sure, the shock's rod isn't real big, and it uses standard shock mounts..........Has anyone tried them and have real world experience?

..........they can obviously handle the weight without breakage for some time.........

No experience in a T, but most are valved for the original springs plus the added load capacity of the air shock. I used VW Beetle air shocks on the rear of my 46 coupe (4000 pounds) for a while and found them to be stiff. Don't get much lighter than a Beetle. The problem is the limited air chamber size. The air pressure goes up very fast on compression.

As for breakage, I don't care to experiment with critical suspension parts. I also don't like sitting (or worse) on the side of the road with broken suspension parts. The last T that I heard of that broke a suspension part at speed on the interstate turned out very bad. I don't know if it was a spring, but it doesn't matter. With the light weight and short wheelbase, these cars react very fast. The man had his grandson in the car with him. Both of them were OK, but after doing a few 360's and winding up against the guard rail the car and occupants were pretty banged up. Could've been a lot worse. He said something let go in the suspension it spun instantly.

There's nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. That's what makes us Hot Rodders. If you do this, make sure what will happen if one lets go. What will it do for the clearances and running relationships of the driveline? How will it effect the handling at 70 MPH if a shock goes away? Think it through. I wouldn't do it, but I may just be an old guy playing it "too" safe.

Mike

Just my opinion but I have never seen one that looked like it belonged to a hot rod. They are butt ugly to be honest. But if you want them then you go with them, maybe you will start a new trend. If I am right there is a bucket being built with them thats been on this fgorum. Its low, mean and sit like a bitching ride. Have a look through the posts over the last few months. Its based on a LOW blown T with a Low low top.

Gerry

If your gonna look into options....go with airbags. They'll last longer and built for such things....Iknow theres some guys here that are running airride systems. I don't think airshocks are heavy enough built. Theres not alot of metal holding the mounting sleeve to the bottom of that shock body....

Just my opinion but I have never seen one that looked like it belonged to a hot rod. They are butt ugly to be honest. But if you want them then you go with them, maybe you will start a new trend. If I am right there is a bucket being built with them thats been on this fgorum. Its low, mean and sit like a bitching ride. Have a look through the posts over the last few months. Its based on a LOW blown T with a Low low top.

Gerry
Gerry, is this the one you were thinking of?? if I can load the pic.. hehe :)

Attachments

• 4-LowBlow1.jpg
    4-LowBlow1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 16
Gerry, is this the one you were thinking of?? if I can load the pic.. hehe :)

Thats the one. Low, mean and with a great look to it. This is my alternative to a Fad. If I ever go for another Bucket build its going to be like this.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back