Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Time to wire

Question, is it wise to use the same ground wire for headlights and turn signal? Or should each have their own dedicated ground wire? Reason I ask is this harness is for steel bodied cars and I am having to add ground wires where needed. I seem to remember someone telling me that bleed over was possible if done on same ground circuit with possible light malfunction. Plus the less wires I have to add the better.

Ground can’t bleed over. If it is not a good ground (dirty for example) it will only affect that one circuit. I have always used chassis ground. Electronic components is the only thing thing that needs a home run ground. INMHO

Ground can’t bleed over. If it is not a good ground (dirty for example) it will only affect that one circuit. I have always used chassis ground. Electronic components is the only thing thing that needs a home run ground. INMHO

Thanks for the quick reply ORF. Much appreciated! Didn't make sense to me either but thought I'd check first. I know just enough to kind of stay out of trouble on wiring. My first time to use a non glass body dedicated kit.

Progress report from today. All wires for Headlight / turn sig, fan, starter and engine harness now run inside frame and out to their destination. I wrapped all wires going through frame with electrical tape to add a little more protection and to help ease the pulling process. I swapped out all the pretty color coded engine wires for black so they would blend in with the engine better. Under dash I have just kinda taped things up out of the way for the time being. Now I need to start giving my interior panels more thought and how I can run the wires for best concealment and least obstruction. Tomorrow I will wire the ignition switch so I can get power to the fuse box. Gauges and column will be wired last.

Indy, I wish you had lit the fire under my a$$ sooner. It's still my least favorite thing to do but not so bad now that I'm into it. Can't believe I've put this off for 8 months. :(2019-01-13 02.01.29.jpg 2019-01-13 02.02.09.jpg 2019-01-13 02.02.35.jpg 2019-01-13 02.03.07.jpg 2019-01-13 02.03.34.jpg 2019-01-13 02.04.06.jpg 2019-01-13 02.04.32.jpg

Now that's what I call coming together nicely :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I may be pickin' your brain for tips when I get to the wiring phase on mine . . .

Darlene

Now that's what I call coming together nicely :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I may be pickin' your brain for tips when I get to the wiring phase on mine . . .

Darlene

Thanks Darlene, but I am no wiring guru. I can do it but don't like to. And I'm definitely out when it comes to circuit design or modification. I'm more nuts & bolts, fit & finish and small details.

Indy, I wish you had lit the fire under my a$$ sooner. It's still my least favorite thing to do but not so bad now that I'm into it. Can't believe I've put this off for 8 months. :(
I don't know about 8 months ago, but I did try awhile back. No matter you're on the
right track now and looking really good !

I don't know about 8 months ago, but I did try awhile back. No matter you're on the
right track now and looking really good !

May was when I dropped the body on the chassis for the last time and then walked away. We didn't start talking until Oct. That's when you and ORF convinced me to finish it

Made some real progress on the wiring this week. Indycars came up for a visit on Monday and to lend a hand. We didn't get much done but we did share some good stories, had a couple of beers and the wife went and got us some pizza for lunch. I was tired from the all nighter I had just pulled and the beer and full belly didn't help. We did manage to get a preliminary toe setting before he left though. His visit gave me the motivation I needed to push on and I greatly appreciated it. The wiring is pretty much done now with the exception of the brake light switch, neutral safety switch and turn signal indicators. Once that's done I'll tidy up the under dash wiring a bit. Everything worked first time and I managed not to let any magic smoke out.

2019-01-18 02.27.11.jpg 2019-01-18 02.28.26.jpg 2019-01-18 02.19.41.jpg 2019-01-18 02.18.35.jpg 2019-01-18 02.17.58.jpg 2019-01-18 02.27.41.jpg 2019-01-18 02.22.33.jpg 2019-01-18 02.21.45.jpg 2019-01-18 02.20.54.jpg 2019-01-18 02.20.18.jpg

That looks real good! Indy has a way of kick starting other people’s projects. We took the trans out of my ‘65 Riviera yesterday and took it to his shop for rebuild. My bucket project is next on the agenda. I’m so excited!

Thanks ORF. Wish you could've made the trip as well. Looking forward to seeing your bucket come together and will be glad to help if you need it. Indy told me a little bit about what you have in mind and it sounds cool.

Sorry I missed the trip too. Refied and had to close. Long drawn out mess! Glad it’s over. How close to driving are you!

Understand. I'm very close. My to do list is down to 3/4 of a page and most of it is small clean up stuff. Windshield glass, body wood, little bit of glass work, interior and making trans cooler lines are the last big items on the list. Cooler lines are the only thing preventing me from starting it for the first time. Making those are at the top of my to do list for today or tomorrow. Seat is already made, so once running it's ready to drive.

His visit gave me the motivation I needed to push on and I greatly appreciated it.
Just glad I could help!

Your wiring is really looking good and well organized, should be easy to work on when the time comes.

JetMech727, if you dont mind I have a few questions. What grommet kit did you use for the wires? What did you do to the ends of the braided line that covers the headlight wires? And how did you make the braided line that covers the throttle cable? I appreciate any help that is offered. Thank you.

What a nice job dam she is pretty , all i can do with mine is try making it look a little better since its a 1981 build, that just got forgotten and set in a garage so many years , i am very surprised the engine runs so dam good . i did start it the first time with running it over without plugs and putting PB blaster in cylinders .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back