Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

The hot rod scene (I hate that phrase), seems to be cooling off a bit. When you’re at a big car show/ swap meet you find that hard to believe but the internet has changed that a whole lot. Guys aren’t dragging their parts to swap meets, the parts suppliers aren’t setting up their booths there either. Now you can sit at your kitchen table and shop to your hearts content! I miss going to the swap meets and walking up and down the aisles looking at parts or project cars. There are still a couple of big ones but the local ones seem to have disappeared. Too bad.

I guess we're all pretty much in the same boat, though I am fortunate to have a few NTBA friends here in St Louis, but it's not like it used to be. We don't get together as much as we used to. So . . . here's to the internet! Grab another cup and let's do some serious "bench racing!" (group hug :D).

Safety18A.jpg

I at one time had a nice shop with seemingly always someone hanging around, projects of my own and others, as well as a couple close friends who had access. Now, nothing. The very few that still get into it are on their way out and very involved with their own circles. When I got injured, I chose to pursue other interests, real estate, to provide for my family, knowing that my physical activity was to be greatly reduced. I always thought I would get back to my passion but now that the kids are gone, etc, so are most of my friends and contacts. There just isn’t as much interest or activities either. If not for sites such as this, I would have very little interest at all. Progress? The strange thing is that no matter how diminished my responsibilities are, no sooner than I get everything out and try to focus on my hobbies, all hell inevitably breaks loose. I’m not sure how I ever focused on anything. I think my multitasking days are a distant foggy memory. I sometimes wish that I could just let go of it all but when I go looking at my treasures, I can’t do it.

The hot rod scene (I hate that phrase), seems to be cooling off a bit. When you’re at a big car show/ swap meet you find that hard to believe but the internet has changed that a whole lot. Guys aren’t dragging their parts to swap meets, the parts suppliers aren’t setting up their booths there either. Now you can sit at your kitchen table and shop to your hearts content! I miss going to the swap meets and walking up and down the aisles looking at parts or project cars. There are still a couple of big ones but the local ones seem to have disappeared. Too bad.
I loved swap meets, junk yards, shopping other car guys parts stash... I used to shop bone yards routinely for treasure and new arrivals. Don’t recall the last time.

I like the way Fletch phrased it. Most of my car friends are dead, dying or have moved away! The ones still here are not car people! I’m pretty much on my own! You guys are a big help if I have questions!

At the risk of sounding sappy, I have to say that I consider you guys my friends. Even though we've never met face-to-face, you'd be welcome in my home any time. :) And I really care about the trials and tribulations that afflict many of you. If this hot rod hobby dies with our generation, so be it. It's been a great ride!!!

At the risk of sounding sappy, I have to say that I consider you guys my friends. Even though we've never met face-to-face, you'd be welcome in my home any time. :) And I really care about the trials and tribulations that afflict many of you. If this hot rod hobby dies with our generation, so be it. It's been a great ride!!!
I had another thought. It used to be cruising was just a part of life. Every weekend, at least. A couple cars in the parking lot was all it took to have a event... just enjoying looking at each other’s cars. You didn’t have to get your car out, you drove it to and from work, etc. Now, everything needs to be an event... very few impromptu get togethers. Also, the activity has been bastardized by money... once daily drivers for the working class are now six digit trailer queens. Parts and events are all about profit. Sort of ruins it in nature for those of us who remember and makes it out of reach for the younger crowd... imho. Also, nothing has been manufactured in a long time that really lends itself to the art. Hate to see it fade away, but glad to have been able to experience it.

I have went so far as to trade rides with somebody I did not know. We would see each other cruising the ribbon on Friday and Saturday nights, so they were almost friends. Sit in the parking lot for a while, then would trade for usually 30 minutes, give or take. Never gave it a thought. Back then and hopefully now, you could trust a fellow car guy.

I at one time had a nice shop with seemingly always someone hanging around, projects of my own and others, as well as a couple close friends who had access. Now, nothing. The very few that still get into it are on their way out and very involved with their own circles. When I got injured, I chose to pursue other interests, real estate, to provide for my family, knowing that my physical activity was to be greatly reduced. I always thought I would get back to my passion but now that the kids are gone, etc, so are most of my friends and contacts. There just isn’t as much interest or activities either. If not for sites such as this, I would have very little interest at all. Progress? The strange thing is that no matter how diminished my responsibilities are, no sooner than I get everything out and try to focus on my hobbies, all hell inevitably breaks loose. I’m not sure how I ever focused on anything. I think my multitasking days are a distant foggy memory. I sometimes wish that I could just let go of it all but when I go looking at my treasures, I can’t do it.
I think people are just too wrapped up in their own lives and don’t care about others the way they used to. Plus you have 24-7 tv so everyone wants to see who’s getting kicked off the island. The internet doesn’t and smart phones compound the problem.

I loved swap meets, junk yards, shopping other car guys parts stash... I used to shop bone yards routinely for treasure and new arrivals. Don’t recall the last time.

Have not seen a real wrecking yard in years. Seems like now vehicle are disassembled
and saleable parts are cataloged and put on a shelve. Roaming the yards is seldom allowed.
Sad thing for the young people who have found discovered the passion to build cars.
Gary Harwood (Harwood Fiberglass} use to build 32 Ford bodies. One day he stopped producing them. Asked him why as he had spent a ton of money on the molds. He said "The hot rod business has turned into a dial 1-800 build a car. I believe he was right for the most part. He made a lot of money of hood scoops, hoods, ladder bars and other parts. Volume production and sell to the masses. Another friend of mine had the Harley dealership in Bedford, Texas. He was also a hot rod guy and owned several Coddington cars. Decided to start building 32 roadsters in a empty building behind his HD dealership. He would order four 32 highboy rollers from Lobeck Hot Rods. Came in on junk yard wheels and tires. All chassis welding done. All cars were set up for small block Chevy/ 350 Transmission mounts and 9 "Ford with brakes and 3rd member in place. Wind shield was mounted as I recall. Doors hung with hidden latch installed. Only option Don offered was what color the car was to be painted and I think there were only 4 color choices. Upholstery was either black or white. Can't remember the deal on wheels and tires. All cars were assembled and running when customer picked them up. Sold every one they brought in and there was a waiting list. Harwood was with me on our visit to look those cars over as Gary had not made the announcement of his plans to start building bodies to anyone till that night. That was the perfect example of 1-800 dial a car. Some years later I got involved with a like project using 32 steel bodies but that's a story for another day. That's why I still prefer individuals building or having built cars that reflect their ideas and taste. Variety is still the king in my mind. Would appear it is still the King is still here! Just my 2 cents worth.

George

Have not seen a real wrecking yard in years. Seems like now vehicle are disassembled
and saleable parts are cataloged and put on a shelve. Roaming the yards is seldom allowed.
Sad thing for the young people who have found discovered the passion to build cars.
Gary Harwood (Harwood Fiberglass} use to build 32 Ford bodies. One day he stopped producing them. Asked him why as he had spent a ton of money on the molds. He said "The hot rod business has turned into a dial 1-800 build a car. I believe he was right for the most part. He made a lot of money of hood scoops, hoods, ladder bars and other parts. Volume production and sell to the masses. Another friend of mine had the Harley dealership in Bedford, Texas. He was also a hot rod guy and owned several Coddington cars. Decided to start building 32 roadsters in a empty building behind his HD dealership. He would order four 32 highboy rollers from Lobeck Hot Rods. Came in on junk yard wheels and tires. All chassis welding done. All cars were set up for small block Chevy/ 350 Transmission mounts and 9 "Ford with brakes and 3rd member in place. Wind shield was mounted as I recall. Doors hung with hidden latch installed. Only option Don offered was what color the car was to be painted and I think there were only 4 color choices. Upholstery was either black or white. Can't remember the deal on wheels and tires. All cars were assembled and running when customer picked them up. Sold every one they brought in and there was a waiting list. Harwood was with me on our visit to look those cars over as Gary had not made the announcement of his plans to start building bodies to anyone till that night. That was the perfect example of 1-800 dial a car. Some years later I got involved with a like project using 32 steel bodies but that's a story for another day. That's why I still prefer individuals building or having built cars that reflect their ideas and taste. Variety is still the king in my mind. Would appear it is still the King is still here! Just my 2 cents worth.

George
I couldn't agree more! I'm 62 (the other is my internet age) and remember the days when you could just roam the junk yard and look for whatever you wanted. My older brother and I would spend half a day just roaming the yard and talking cars....By me LKQ is the closest thing to that but, they take a lot of things off the cars before they go into the yard if it's a desirable car. A lot of the "older" cars that come in are just crushed after a few weeks. The dial a car thing is just kind of phony to me. Either you built it or you bought it. If you bought it, fine. Just please don't act like you built it. My kids ask me why I don't just buy one already done. I told them part of the fun of building a hot rod is the building process itself. I don't think young people understand that. They came up in a world that has instant everything...Ron

I’m afraid that is the way it was never to return. When I built my first bucket I had never seen another one. I was proud to say I did everything but upholstery. Now it is becoming a lost art. The iron in my blood has turned to lead and settled in my ass and it’s a struggle to get out to the shop and remember where I put the tool I just had in my hand! With the weather cooling down maybe I can get motivated again. I’m so close to a roller now it will be a big shot in the arm to get me started again. Thanks guys!

I would rather get highjacked than ignored! I’m just glad to see I’m not the only one that notices Chris stuff! I hate it when mustangs and Camaros get classified as hot rods!
Mustangs and cameros are a dime a dozen. You can’t get very creative with a cookie cutter. And the cost of the cookies has gotten too expensive for me. Had a 66 GTO as a youngster. Paid 300 for it. Needed work so it was cheap. Can’t find cars like that today. You can get pretty creative with a scratch built car. I preaching to the choir though.

You said the magical word... Treasures! Shops are therapy that make you happy.
Happy George!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back