Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

blower question

blownchebby

What causes fuel to leak from the top of the rear plate bolts? It does not do it all the time.Someone told me to use a popoff valve on the front plate.

I have a little pressure valve on my front blower cover and whenever I push it nothing ever releases. You could always just remove one of the triangle plate bolts and do the same thing. (Also the bottom triangle plate bolt is the one you remove to fill it with lube. When it starts to leak out of that hole, it is full). As far as fuel leaking from the rear cover I would say it is fuel leaking from the carb inlet threads and working its way down to the rear cover. There is a gasket between the blower case and rear cover as well as seals under the little seal cover on the rear cover.

Hey, BlownChebby....check out BlownT's scenario.....I've had countless customers tearing down their blower cause of something like this.......OR there might be a leak on your floatbowl dripping :eek: and running back along your 2-4 plate making it look like your huffer is leaking fuel..........let us know what you find.......

What type of lube is recommended for use in a BDS 671 blower?

Joe

I know a few racing people used to have all the gears dry lubed, then you can run just a light weight cooling fluid, but I think that the light cooling fluid would leak more than the heavy oil, but dry lub works great for saving HP... :D

Thanks for the info.

Joe

[quote name='Screamin' Metal']Hey, BlownChebby....check out BlownT's scenario.....I've had countless customers tearing down their blower cause of something like this.......OR there might be a leak on your floatbowl dripping :eek: and running back along your 2-4 plate making it look like your huffer is leaking fuel..........let us know what you find.......[/quote]
Thanks for the help it was a leak at the carb base.One carb stud worked loose. Its all good now.Thanks blownt and screamin metal.:eek:

Umm, just a thought... a loose carb stud is not going to be the source of a leak. It will just allow an internal leak to get out onto the adapter plate. If you have an internal leak in the carb, it will flow through the blower and into the manifold, where it will puddle and eventually flow into the intake runners, washing down your cylinders. You need to figure out where the fuel is getting out of the carb.

I'm glad you found your leak....90% of the time....folks running Holley type carbs will let their float bowl screws get loose....dribble fuel, another 2% will get their bowl gasket get unseated or cut/crimped and leak, another 2% will let their pumpers leak or have heir floats set too high.........I had one in the shop 2 years ago for 3 days......couldn't find out where the hell it was coming from........it was a regulator on the firewall had a crack in the housing and after it built up pressure.....it'd squirt....it was real fine mist.....almost undetectable.
The only way I found it is I put my head down between the rear carb and the windshield....looking really close at the rear blower cover bolts and got sprayed in the ear......................

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back