Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Mounting

ellis8500

Need some expert advice. I'm mounting a Spirit body to a Spirit frame. Spirit uses mud flap material as a cushion between the two. Is that really necessary? Does it really do any good as opposed to not using any material at all? What do you guys do?

Need some expert advice. I'm mounting a Spirit body to a Spirit frame. Spirit uses mud flap material as a cushion between the two. Is that really necessary? Does it really do any good as opposed to not using any material at all? What do you guys do?

I don't know anything about the Spirit body or frame, but I do know that fiberglass against metal squeaks like a son-of-a gun if there is ANY movement at all. Anything bolted together will have enough movement to allow many many squeaks, and I'd sure use an isolator of some kind... Without them, over time you will regret not having done it. Visit your local horse stable, the rubber mats that horses use in their stalls over concrete is perfect. It's a rubber/cloth mix, about 3/4" thick, and comes in sheets about 3'X5', so you can cut whatever size you want. The horse will never miss a small piece if you steal it!
Corley

We use a double sided tape from NAPA, it is to go between a camper shell and a pickup truck bed. Stops the squeaks is all it does.

I used the camper mounting tape like Ron does. It's already the correct width and about 1/4 in thick. Real easy to work with. Get it at RV supply stores or truck accessory store.

I'm doing a 1" body lift to gain clearance for a 4-bar suspension. I had planned to use 5/4 decking board, which is 1 " thick, running full length of the body/frame interface. I guess adding a thin strip of vinyl will be OK. I am going to bolt the wood to the frame. I'll will also raise the fuel tank and adjust the steering column hole locations. Lot's of fun building these cars. Just wish it wasn't so darn hot here in St. Louis.

We used a nylon webbing. I know we bought it from some rod shop specifically for that application.

I made and welded on some body mount brackets and used hockey pucks.

I mount mine as solid as I can get it, because with the use of windshield brace rods, you do not want any body movement at all... :)

I thought about this, and decided that cheap ratchet straps will work like a dream. Bonus is that they are available in loads of clors. Its webbing so it should work fine.
G

I used Model T/A frame webbing. Sorta like thick burlap about 2" wide. Can get it at any Model T or A supplier like Gaslite or others.

I like the idea of the two sided tape, but if it's a plywood floor mounting to the frame how's that going to squeak?

I like the idea of the two sided tape, but if it's a plywood floor mounting to the frame how's that going to squeak?
You are right about that, I have plywood floors and they don't squeak at all, at least what I hear myself, hehe but the wood does compress over time and need re-tightening now and then, a large (thick, and over 2" in OD) top flat washer helps greatly with this loosening problem, plus a tight fitting (to the hole in the wood) tube that the bolt also fits snug through, just a bit shorter than the wood, helps with keeping the hole from wallowing out, over time... :)

Actually, the camper mounting tape that I used only has adhesive on one side so that when applied to the frame, the body can be removed without tearing up the tape.

Actually, the camper mounting tape that I used only has adhesive on one side so that when applied to the frame, the body can be removed without tearing up the tape.

I was thinking the same thing. Its about 2inches wide, 1/8 thick foam.

I was going to use the stuff they have to keep washing machines from moving around. Its cork surrounded by 3/16 of rubber. Its about 1/2 total. But I just made a little bigger cut for the trans tunnel.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back