Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cannot post or reply

I can get to the site from my phone at work if necessary, the network admin and I are good friends but he gets audited every year (state contract requirement) on all the software that is loaded so I can't ask him to load an OS that hasn't been tested.

Just to be clear, browsers are not an "OS". They are an application, that runs on top of an OS. Have you tried to download and install a different browser? They may not block that, since it is not an "OS". If not, you could easily try Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. just to see... I worked in a similar environment for some time behind Gov. contracts, and while I HAD to run a certain OS, I could install pretty much any applications.

Corley

More strangeness...

I'm finding some strange operations / actions with this new IE9 and the forum... Maybe I'm just sensitive to things now, but... For example, I always log directly into the "view new content", and today there was none. Except, I KNOW there should be some, because when I went to some of the forum via the forum buttons, there it was. Also, the big blue button in front of the forum major topics seems to be strange in that when you bring up the forums, it is bright blue (my color choice is blue), but when I click on it, it turns to gray, and nothing else happens. It seems to stay gray then. Huh?

Maybe it is just that I lost all my cookies when I installed the new browser, or when I cleared them, but these and some other items are just weird. I wish my relatives would leave (did I say that?) so I could test with the LMDE and Firefox setup... D___n MS! I really hate the layout of IE9...

Please excuse the frustrated rants on my part...

Corley

These are the times that try men's souls.

For the record, I had forgotten there was a Windows partition on this machine. I am now logged in with Windows XP and IE 8. And once again, in spite of all the problems some people are having, I jumped right on and had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Let me address some of the questions/comments real quickly.

Ron, in terms of footprint and speed, Google Chrome is the lightest and fastest. I find its user interface to be extremely minimalistic and do not care for it at all. I've used Firefox since before it was Firefox. I know where everything is in Firefox and don't have to waste time hunting for functions, like I do when using Chrome. So the milliseconds that Chrome might save me in page loads isn't worth the time I spend trying to find things. Firefox is a memory hog and everyone knows it. But it remains my number one choice.

Opera is another option. Not quite as fast as Chrome, definitely bigger than Chrome, but a better (in my not-so-humble opinion) UI. It is still laid out with enough differences that I cannot get comfortable with it.

Corley, there are two more complaints I am working with right now. However, these complaints continue to prove it is a cookie issue.

1. In both instances, the users seem to log in. The active users list shows they are logged in. That proves, beyond any shadow of a doubt the database recognizes their log in and is showing them as being in receipt of an active session ID cookie.

2. But in both instances, the users cannot access any member-only features and the secondary navigation module shows they are not logged in. Which also proves, beyond any shadow of a doubt, their browser has failed to accept the session ID cookie.

The software is issuing the session ID, because it shows them as logged in. That is all working, just as it should. The fact that ANY of us are logged in is further proof that the software is working. If it were not working, NONE of us would be able to log in. And Lord only knows, I've logged in with enough accounts and browsers and operating systems over these last few days. I'm on my fourth operating system now and on yet another browser.

The fact these members cannot access member-only features clearly shows their browsers have failed to accept the session ID. The browser "thinks" it is not logged in.

The only thing I cannot seem to sort is why the majority of our members are having no problem logging in and out, why I can take what appears to be a knackered account and successfully log in, why I cannot find any combination of OS and browser that fails to work for me when you couldn't find a combination that would work, why a member can log in from one computer and not another, why Steve can log in from his phone but not from his computer, etc.

But when the software recognizes a log in and a browser doesn't, there is only one reason why. A session ID cookie was either dropped or not accepted by the browser. Nothing else can cause that to happen. That much is open and shut.

Steve, please don't take me wrong. I wasn't suggesting your IT people make exceptions for you. What I was getting at is if you can talk with your IT team, you can sometimes learn what they are allowing and disallowing on the network. Which can help when trying to diagnose some problems. Some networks block domains. Some networks block cookies from certain domains. Some networks block image files. When someone is running on a network and complains they cannot see images on this site, I've no way of knowing if their network is blocking the images, or if they have another problem. Developing a good relationship with IT people means you can share conversation with them they might otherwise ignore, that's all.

OK, XP and IE 8 is working, so let's see if I can somehow make something else fail.

XP/Firefox 3.5.6. Now there's an oldies but goodies.

XP/Opera 10

XP/Chrome 4 Wow, now that is really old. I see Opera pitched in a couple extra line breaks, ala IE 9. What a pain.

XP/Safari 4 and Chrome added an extra line break too.

OK, here's something I want to try. But I need the problem to be occurring on a single computer installation, running Windows.

If anyone is in this situation, would you please try restoring your system to an earlier date? Roll it back a couple weeks and let's see what happens.

Steve, I realize you're on a network, but can you see if you can run a system restore? No problem if you cannot, I'm just trying to see if this might work.

I was laid off from a company that monitored everyone internet usage and their emails, we also got a letter annually that advised not to post your business on your facebook or anything else used with diciplinary action that would be taken. I have seen 3 fired for wrong usage and one had downloaded 30 gigs of music on their desktop.
So the IT department are sometimes the gusatpo for the big bosses!!

I meant browser, not OS. I cannot run system restore at work, absolutely can't, and I have it disabled on my systems at home, don't like it.

OK, the site is now issuing a cookie with a little different format than before. If you were logged in, the change I made unceremoniously dumped you out. Apologies for that.

Since the format has been changed, there is no way an old cookie will be able to create any problems.

If you still cannot log in, move to another site, clear your cache history (ALL of it, cookies, everything), close your browser down and then re-open the browser, return here and attempt to log in again. If you are still unable to log in, then you have an issue on your end.

I am back and

I have been able to sign on anytime so you fixed I guess.....................O wait I didn't have a problem......... :suicide:

Mike

Mike,

Here is a tidbit for you to chew on. I just arrived at our beach house, and turned on the XP machine that has been turned off for the last 3 weeks. Pretty much the last thing I did when I left here 3 weeks ago was to check the forums, and there have been no updates of any kind. OK, so I bring up the forum site on this machine, and viola, it has the problem. Next I try Chrome, since it is already on the machine, and it works fine. OK, I go back to IE8, and do the clear cache thingy, clearing everything, and then kill the browser and restart it. I bring up the forum, and it still fails, and is in a failing state right now. (I used Chrome to enter this.)

My contention is that since there have been NO updates of any kind on this machine (that I know of or that have been logged), the problem is not on this end. I was wrong once about something or other, but... HA! Anyway, I thought this may help with your debugging, but then then again, maybe it's just flack... If you'd like me to try anything with this failing machine, just hollar...

Corley

PS I wonder if it's possible for MS to slip in an update that bypasses the normal update notification and logging??? They are pretty sneaky bastards...

I logged onto a machine I never use at work and have the same result, login looks successful but still shows not logged in, I have a PC at home that I have never used to log into this forum too, I doubt it will make a difference but I'll try

Mike,

We've been e-mailing back and forth all day trying to resolve the logon problem with my work computer...but haven't been able to get it resolved.

I just got home and tried my home machine running Windows 7 home version and IE 8 version 8.0.7600.16385. No luck....same problem as before.

I just loaded Chrome (well...since Google was my homepage here, it was handy). As you can tell, I was able to log on without any problems.

Looks like whatever the problem is, it's with the IE browser....but only with this site....not with any of the others that I visit.

Oh well, Chrome is working fine....guess I can get out of the dark ages and play with a new program.

Martin

Mike, we've been e-mailing back and forth all day trying to resolve the logon problem with my work computer...but haven't been able to get it resolved. I just got home and tried my home machine running Windows 7 home version and IE 8 version 8.0.7600.16385. No luck....same problem as before. I just loaded Chrome (well...since Google was my homepage here, it was handy). As you can tell, I was able to log on without any problems. Looks like whatever the problem is, it's with the IE browser....but only with this site....not with any of the others that I visit. Oh well, Chrome is working fine....guess I can get out of the dark ages and play with a new program. Martin
Same with me... Mike has been really working hard to figure out what the deal is for me... same deal as Martin... at work with XP and IE8, no joy. Come home and get right on with Win7 and IE9. I'm thinking it has something to do with our network at work.

And here is Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx with Firefox 3.6, also working just as it should.

Lucid with Chromium 7

And Lucid with Opera 10

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back