Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cannot post or reply

Corley, there is one glaring flaw with your logic. If the problem with logging into your account were at the server end of the pipe, you would not be able to log in from any computer. Nor would I have been able to log into your account from here. If the forums were broken, they would be broken for everyone, no matter what computer they were using. If your account was broken, it would be broken for both of us, no matter what computer we were using.

As I've been hunting and searching for a solution to this problem, I've been finding isolated pockets of this same problem. And it seems to only affect a small percentage of the total users, same as here. And in most of those instances, people seem to be finding Google Chrome is more forgiving and will, in some instances, allow log-ins where other browsers will not. By simple observation, It seems 64 bit IE 8 users are the most affected, but I do not have hard data to support that. Although I've noticed a couple people running 64 bit IE 8 have tried running 32 bit IE 8 and solved the problem.

I know, several of you have pointed out this is the only site you are having problems with. But the fact the rest of us are not having any problems indicates the problem is not site-related. For those who were unable to log in and have passed along your details, I have been able to log into your accounts with no problems of any kind. This also indicates the problem is client-side.

Fact - The only thing that can cause a secure site to react as everyone is describing is a problem with cookies. We know the site is serving cookies properly, else I would not be logged in here. So we either have browsers that are not accepting cookies, or browsers with corrupted cookie files. The proof for that is the fact that some of you are logging in from one system when another system will not allow you to log-in. I know you all want this to be a problem at the server, but when one of your systems works and another one won't, we've localized the problem. When one of your browsers will work and another one won't, we've localized the problem.

Fact - I have always redirected all http://tbucketeers.com/ URLs to http://www.tbucketeers.com/ (note the dub-dub-dub), so that cannot be causing the problem. Try entering that first URL (without the dub-dub-dub) into your browser's address bar and then look at the address you end up on. Dub-dub-dub, every time. The new cookie format would eliminate this from being a problem anyway.

Fact - Since we converted to this forum software, I have never forced a cookie domain. Yesterday afternoon, I changed that so that the cookie domain will always be consistent. I also changed the cookie format, so that it would always have a -forum- prefix. That is a major change, yet the only users having a problem with it are those users who were already having problems. We've further localized the problem.

Fact - If the site were not serving cookies, none of us could ever log in. I don't know how to say this any more forcefully. The site is completely reliant on cookies being served to users' browsers and without that happening, the site will simply not allow anyone to log in. Ever. If I am posting here, that means I am logged into my account, which further means my browser has successfully accepted the session ID cookie from the site. Everything is working as intended, unless this post is a figment of my imagination.

Fact - If a member's account were somehow corrupted, they would never be able to log into that account. Corley can log in from some locations and not from others. Martin can log in with Chrome but not with IE 7. Lee cannot log in from his work system, but his home system works fine. I've logged into several problem accounts when the users could not. If the account were corrupt, it would be corrupt without exception. This further localizes the problem.

Now here's one that will really make you scratch your heads. I've now had two users e-mail me in the last 12 hours to say they have both heard from the IT Dept. at their respective places of employment that a recent Windows security update installed on their networks is causing multiple issues. In one instance, this update is causing programs required for work to be inaccessible. Why that is not affecting all Windows users, I have no idea. Why some browsers work when others will not, I have no idea.

I have now tested the site with Windows 7, Windows XP, Linux Mint Debian Edition, Linux Mint 10 Julia, Linux Mint 9 Isadora, Ubuntu 10.04 Maverick Meerkat and OS X Snow Leopard. I have tested the site with Firefox 3.5, Firefox 3.6, Firefox 4.0, Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, Google Chrome 4, Google Chrome 10, Chromium 7, Opera 10, Safari 4, Safari 5, Epiphany 2 and Midori 0.3. I have tested the site with 4 different computers, a Dell Inspiron 15R, a Dell XPS 8100, a Dell XPS 410 and an Apple iMac. Four computers, seven operating systems, thirteen browsers and I cannot duplicate the problem with any of them. I log right in and I can access all member-only features and functions. I can even log into accounts inaccessible to their rightful owners, with no problems whatsoever. My Win 7 machine is 100% up to date with all the latest and greatest software and it works just fine. My XP installation is slow and cantankerous and had a lot of old software on it, but it works just fine. My iMac is fully updated and works just fine. I receive and install updates to the Linux installations, all day, every day. So I have brandy-new operating systems, and I have old operating systems. I have browsers being updated nightly and I have browsers that are growing beards. And every single combination of every single one of them all work 100%, without so much as a hiccup.

When someone like Lee cannot log into the site from one computer, that gives me cause for concern. When I can log into Lee's account from my own computers, I'm starting to suspect there is an issue with Lee's computer. When Lee can log into his account from a second computer, that only makes me look at the suspect computer that much harder. When Lee cannot log into his account from only one computer and 100+ other members are logging in and out without problems, I have to point the finger at that one computer. It is a simple process of elimination. When everything works from Computer A and everything works from Computer B, then that means there is something different about Computer C. How can we possibly localize a problem any further than that?

I don't like this any more than the people who cannot log in. I spent over 10 hours working with this problem, yesterday. I earned zero income yesterday, because I spent the day trying to chase this down. I've talked with other admins and with code monkeys, all who have suggested I advise everyone with the problem to clear their cache history or to try an alternative browser. What novel ideas, eh? I've scanned countless Web pages, looking for a more solid method of establishing the cookie domain and cannot find anything other than what we're already using. I've scanned cookie files from several different browsers, looking for inconsistencies and there are none. I've read Windows security update pages. I've read browser help forums. I've read help files on just about any forum software package I can think of. In every, single instance where a similar problem is identified, the recommended solution is to clear cache history, ensuring all cookies are cleared. Go figure. A tiny handful of users cannot seem to log in, no matter what we have tried. Some other users cannot seem to log in from certain systems. Yet the lion's share of users are logging in and logging out without any problems.

I'm going to continue trying to find a solution to the problem, but I am now completely confident the forum software, the MySQL database and Apache are all doing their jobs as intended. Now it is a matter of trying to discover why only some of you are having problems when the rest of us are not.

Mike,

I don't mean to tell you how to do your job, but here are a couple of suggestions. Feel free to cast them aside, since only YOU know what is going on at that end.

First, it's not so glaring really... The concept that it's a FACT that it's a problem on the client end is not really a fact until the problem is identified. If we can agree to that, then we can stay open to identifying the problem without bias. Look at it this way. You have a crankshaft, that has been turned .001 oversize, and an insert that comes in .001 undersized. They are not compatible. Now if only one of those components is wrong, they could still work together and be in tolerance (perhaps). We could easily have something here that is just outside spec. on both ends that affects only certain combinations of parts, if you get my drift. Perhaps the problem is not really on either end, or on both ends, but if it IS in the MS domain, we may be up S___T creek, and I'm sure we can agree with that. I find it best to stay open on these things until I can really understand it totally. So far we have lot's of indications, but no solution, so obviously we don't yet know enough to declare facts. One fact I do know is that, at least for me, clearing the cache has not helped in anyway on the three machines I've observed the failure on and cleared cache on.

Next, i think it would be possible for us to set up a time that one or two of us could log in with the bad setup, and let you look around at what's going on with our ID, assuming you have that capability. Perhaps you've already done that??? or perhaps you can't really see much of anything??? I'm not saying this would be useful, but perhaps...?... If I can help with this, email me and we'll pick a time.

Then too, we all have different system update settings, and perhaps it's some combination of things and updates that we are unaware of, that affects this. I always pretty much install updates as soon as I see them come up, but I always take a look at them first to see what is being updated, and allow it in a controlled way. Right now I have 3 MS updates waiting to be installed, because I wanted to be sure and leave this system in a failing state, unmolested. Therefore, I have not allowed them to install. What I'm saying, is perhaps a lot of the guys whose machines work don't install updates, or do it automatically once a month, or ??? Hopefully, they will not get hit later on with this, but since it's new, maybe they will. You might have someone whose system is working try doing a full update just for giggles...

I still see the software at the ISPs and various servers in the path as a possibility, since the data passes through them and they have the ability to affect it. Some browsers might not mind an extra comma inserted here or there, some may choke on it. Some servers software might insert it, others may not. (Bad example, but you get my drift.) Some of that spam filtering that they use could possibly be the culprit too... Again, it's a combination of browsers / systems / servers / isps / etc... One thing I'd sure start doing if you are not already is to start making a list of IE8 levels that fail. This one is: 8.0.6001.18702IC and this is a 32 bit system.

Possibly, system configuration differences could affect this, though how in the world this could occur I don't know. I'm thinking of things like more or less memory limiting cookie space size (yeah, that's grasping at a straw), or an interaction between some other component of the system. I know that IE9 sure messed with OE on my Vista system! I'm too dumb to understand these interactions, but I don't count them out...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say or even imply that the problem can only be at the site's end at all. I agree that it seems to focus on IE8 in all cases except my LMDE/Firefox case, and that could have been something totally different and I was too quick to judge, having just seen the failure on the other system. (You have to discard that unless I can go back and see it fail again for sure, now that I know exactly what to look for. That won't happen until Thursday at the earliest.) I do know it has occurred for me on both XP and Vista for absolutely sure, both times with IE8. Sometimes about all you can do in these cases is to collect information, and develop a pattern. I'd keep track of what's going on, but just collect facts for a few days and not spend too much time on it until more time goes by, since we have some easy work around's. I doubt anyone minds too much using a different browser for a while until you have enough data to know what's going on.

Lastly, we could have a virus that is not yet known or understood, that's been on these systems for a long time, but was triggered by ?

Just my thoughts here, I do not intend to criticize at all, I'm perfectly content to use a different browser, in fact I like to mess around with different ones just to see what's out there. I only want to help get to the bottom of things if I can... For now, I'd advise, just relax, don't be consumed with this since we have an easy work around.

Corley

PS I know you have declared the problem is on the client end, and the logic for that is fairly compelling. However, I also know you have continued to keep an open mind to it being anywhere and have worked tirelessly toward a solution. Thanks for that, we can't ask for anything more!

PS/2 IF the problem is in IE8, it's very possible that MS may declare it to be a non-problem in their eyes, and everyone else must conform to them. That sucks, huh? I would think your forum software provider should want to be involved finding the solution too since it seems to be affecting only their forums at this time... Assumption, NOT A FACT! That is, I don't really think that this is YOUR problem at all...

Corley, I can watch members moving around on the forums to some degree. But that is all based on IP addresses. I can't access the cookie you are using.

Here's my read on it - I fully agree that there are a lot of users here. I agree each user might be using a different operating system, with different update settings and different browsers with different security settings behind different firewalls, etc. Which has been my entire point of testing my own accounts and other members' accounts with as many different possibilities as I can possibly throw at it. I'm now logged in with Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat (my earlier post misidentified 10.04, which is Lucid Lynx) and Firefox 3.6. That ups the ante to a total of eight, different operating systems. Not so much as a stutter in any of them. They all work. I've now used thirteen, different browsers, with the very same results. This post is being submitted with the thirty-sixth, different combination of computers, operating systems and browsers. And number thirty-six works just as well as number one did. I've tried clamping security settings down and everything still works. I've tried opening security settings up and everything still works. I've tried clearing just some history and everything works. Of the thirty-six combinations I have tried, I cannot make any of them not work as they should.

It makes no difference what combination I have tried, they all work. About the only thing gained at this point is a renewed hatred of Internet Explorer and the desire to scream if I have to clear cache one more time. I'm sick to death of opening and closing browsers, believe me.

I would love to stumble on a combination that didn't work. Then I would be able to start tearing it apart to see what was different about it. I would love to find the problem, because then I could at least know what it is and find a fix for it. But everything I look at, no matter if it is the software on my local machines, the software running on the server or the server itself, I cannot find anything wrong. Everything is working as it should work. Yes, I am continuing to look at any possibility and I am currently taking a break from poring over some server logs

Every time I think maybe I've found something common, someone steps up and gives me an instance that disproves the theory. IE 8 seems to be a problem, especially 64 bit versions. Yet you're experiencing problems with a 32 bit version. That's a blown theory. At first, I wondered if Windows hadn't thrown us a curve ball, but you had problems running LMDE. there's another blown theory. Lee has had a talk with his IT people and they have had no Windows updates that are suspect, so the idea that perhaps we were seeing something there has flown out the window (no pun intended, BTW :winkn:). Lord only knows how many machines he's tried, but Lee said he cannot find a machine on his work network that can log in.

The very first user that had the problem (and I cannot recall who it was, just the now) cleared cache and logged right in. Some people have tried different systems and have logged right in. Some people have tried a different browser and have logged right in.

I've been clutching at straws. I've cleared the server's PHP caching system and restarted Apache, several times. The site has always worked fine without any specified cookie settings, but I've tried setting a domain to no avail. I've tried setting a prefix, to no avail. I've set both, to no avail. I even had Lee try flushing his DNS yesterday, which, to no great surprise, failed. I've uploaded a fresh set of forum files to the server, in case one was corrupted. No hope. I've cleared the database of all persistent connections (which is likely going to piss some people off, as well as creating a bunch of extra work for me resetting password), but no hope there, either. I am making changes that are affecting all of our users, whether they are members or not, and the only people reporting any problems are the people that were already reporting problems.

When you tell me you've tried two operating systems and you are duplicating the problem on both, that sends up the red flags. But (and I'm a bit blurry just the now) I think you've since found two browsers that are working for you. So my question to that is what is different about the browser/s that would not work and the browsers that do work? Something is different. But those browsers are there and I'm here, so I cannot look into what those differences might be.

When you tell me you've tried two operating systems and you are duplicating the problem on both, I have to ask why I could not duplicate the problem at this end? I had your log in details and had no issues logging in with them. What is different between your systems and my own? Something is different. But again, your systems are there and mine are here, so it makes it tough for me to dig into them to find the differences.

I'm game to try to fix the problem. But I've looked everywhere I know to look and I cannot find a problem. So I'm going to grab another cup of coffee and get back to these server logs. If anyone has been able to narrow down an angle in a controlled setting, holler and I'll see if I can find something. Beyond that, I just do not know what to try.

Hey, I'm in! But not with IE8. At the risk of getting yelled at by our IT folks, I installed Firefox on my office machine. Was able to log in to T-bucketeers right off, like nothing was ever wrong. More evidence it's an IE problem? I could not log on with any of the machines in my department (7 machines on a LAN to a WAN). All of these machines are running XP and either IE7 or 8 through MS Exchange and McAfee Viruscan Enterprise with fairly tight security settings. However, none of this has changed between the time I could log in through IE8 and when I couldn't. Hope this is useful info.

Welcome back, Lee. And I want to thank you for playing guinea pig for me, yesterday. You were actually being quite helpful, even if you were only eliminating possibilities and dashing our hopes at every turn. :winkn: Martin, you were supplying me with a lot of good information, as well. When I can't duplicate a situation, it helps to have people provide the levels of information you both have and also to do some remote testing for me. Lee and I are still not sure what is going to fix all of this, but we sure know a lot of things that won't fix it.

Lee, would you be down for one more test? Since we know you can log into the site from work with Firefox, would you please clear the cookies in IE 8 and give it one more try? No rush, it can even wait until tomorrow. Breakfast and lunch have both consisted of coffee, so I'm about to flip the golden switch and call it a day, anyway. I'm famished.

I have waded through all the archived logs. And there is nothing there to be found. The only unusual thing I saw in any of the logs was a Republic of Korea IP address that was blocked by the Config Server firewall for port scanning at 11:26:04 Zulu on 1 April and a China IP address blocked for port scanning at 01:43:01 Zulu on 4 April. What is unusual is that it is quite common to see a couple IPs blocked, every day and these were the only two in the last week. Both were trying to crack the incoming mail server, but both were zapped back into the ether.

I have a cron job run an anti-virus scan on the server, every twelve hours. The script I use has four databases it uses to check for virii. The most recent database update was downloaded to the server at 05:45:00 Zulu, this morning, so it's as up to date as anything out there. I took the time to manually run the scanner, just a few minutes ago, and everything came up clean as a whistle.

I submitted a ticket and had a tech go over the server with a fine-tooth comb. We had a couple of exchanges in communication and I detailed the problem we have been seeing and what I had already done to try to isolate it. His response? "Whenever you have a problem limited to a small set of users and you are not able to recreate the problem through that kind of testing procedure, then it becomes clear the problem lies with the end-users. Have them verify they are properly clearing all browser history, as this is the most common cause of this kind of problem. If a change in browsers seems to be working for some users, we recommend suggesting everyone try something different. We are unable to find anything wrong with the server and particularly nothing that could cause a problem like you have described."

Do you have any idea of how tired I am of hearing experts tell me to have everyone clear their cache? I've been saying this for five days now.

So. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next? Yesterday was 10+ hours without no results. Today has already been 11+ hours with no results.

I have no clue as to what is happening to cause this. I have no clue why it has affected such a small group and not everyone. I have no clue why you can log in from one machine when you cannot log in from another. I have no hard and fast evidence of why you can log in with one browser when you cannot log in from another. Nor do I have any clue why Firefox 4.0 on OS X Snow Leopard will not allow me to click the back arrow or right-click and then click "back" on a second or third open tab. (See, I found a Firefox bug, so the time wasn't all wasted!) At this stage of the game, I'm going to take the tech's advice and suggest you try a different browser from what you ordinarily run. I'm not saying you have to marry it, just try it. If we ever come up with a cause and solution for my nightmare, you can always uninstall it.

Here is a fresh thought. I bet this will get some faces turning red. 89.76% of you are running Windows. When was the last time you updated your anti-virus protection? When was the last time you scanned your machine? How many of you have taken my suggestion and have installed CCleaner and Ad-Aware? Of that number, when was the last time you ran both scripts? Adobe just released an update within this last week. How many of you have installed it? Of that number, how many of you forgot to un-tick the box to have the Yahoo toolbar automatically installed? How many other browser toolbars and add-ons do you have installed? How many of you have some kind of a fancy mouse pointer widget installed? How many of you are running Outlook as your e-mail client? Of that number, how many of you have the latest release installed? How many of you know that your virus protection scheme is also scanning your e-mails? How many of you open e-mail attachments without a second thought, jut because the message came from Aunt Pearl or Bob at the bowling alley? 57.97% of you are running one version of Internet Explorer or another. Of that number, how many of you are running the latest possible version on your system?

Corley, this is one thing we've both been overlooking. Maybe the reason not all Windows users were affected is because it really never had anything to do with a Windows update. But what else could trigger something happening in just some Windows systems, leaving others completely unaffected? A rootkit could sure do it, every time. Some people are infected, but most are not. Set the rootkit to trigger at a specific date and time and suddenly, the people who were infected all start having the same problem at the same time. Hard to believe some of these corporate networks are being infected, but it sure wouldn't be the first time. The only fly in that ointment would be the problem you saw on your LMDE install.

I am guilty of rarely thinking about virus infections. I run Linux most of the time, so why worry? And while this might not be our culprit, it is as likely as anything else. Food for thought, anyway.

Mike,
More S__T for you. I remembered that I have a second XP machine here in Florence that the grandkids use sometimes. It had not been turned on since last fall, so I went upstairs and tired it. Luckily, it fired right up, connected to the internet, and I was able to test using it as well. (Remember, this downstairs XP machine failed, right?) The upstairs one works fine. SO, I did all the updates that MS pushes at their XP systems, and then rebooted, and tried again. The upstairs machine still works fine. Then I tried clearing cache on it, and it STILL works fine. One upstairs works, one downstairs does not. Both XP, and Both IE8. Both running wirelessly through the same router/modem/provider, not more than 20 feet apart. All this today. WTF??? I say, give it a break for a while, we know how to work around the issue for now. Collect more data and after a few days maybe something will shake out. I know, I know, you are like a dog that grabbed the tail of a tiger, you just can't let go... Since I seem to be no help at all, I say good fricking luck! HA!

Upstairs working machine has IE 8.0.6001.18702

NOTE: Failing machine downstairs has IE 8.0.6001.18702IC So what do you suppose the "IC" means anyway? Could someone else with a failing machine check theres for this? (Click on the "?" in the upper right corner, then on the drop down menu, click on "About Internet Explorer".)

Both these machine were loaded with Windows XP from the same CD, and updated to current levels. Both got IE8 as an update. The downstairs (failing) machine has tons more software on it, as I use it when I'm down here, and the kids only play games on the upstairs (working) machine.

Mike, when at the screen displaying the IE level, there is a button for "System Information". Clicking on that brings up a whole durth of information about the hardware, the OS, and about several programs on the machine, including IE. On the failing system, this is a 4K txt file. I can send you the file from the failing machine and the working machine if you send me your email address. It might contain some clues, and I don't think it has much of any personal data. Let me know if this is of interest to you.

Corley

Mike,
Another thought... I could try removing IE8 and reinstalling it on this machine that fails, to see if that solves it.

I found a site that mentioned that the "IC" version of IE8 that I mentioned on the failing machine is somehow modified by some Internet Content provider (like Yahoo, or ???). I can't imagine how that happened, or why, since it was installed as a MS update...?... Anyway, if I were to uninstall IE8 and reinstall it, maybe that IC crap would go away, and I could determine if that has any bearing on the situation...

Just my stupid thoughts,
Corley

PS That 4K file I mentioned in the last post is actually 4MB, not K. CRS strikes again...

Lee, Firefox used to be available as a separate program that you could run from a usb stick. This would allow you to use firefox at work without installing the program on a work computer. This might help you out.

firefox portable

Mike, I noticed in post #10 you mentioned about doing regular updates. I have found this the worst thing to do (IMHO of course :flower: ) That is how these problems start. You are on the computer and everything is just fine. You leave, come back 15 minutes later and these type of problems pop up out of nowhere because it magically did some update without you knowing. In the past I have found it very successful to do a system restore as you asked earlier. The problem is it is just a matter of time till the same damn update happens again. I have also had problems where MS or IE does an update and it screws up my Google Chrome. I think they purposely do something to cause problems for the poor smuck like me because I don't use IE. I know this is the case because after doing a system restore, then manually install the latest updates it is always some MS or IE update and my chrome will be all wacked out again. I believe this is the case where the system restore works. Now, one other thing that works is sometimes a few days later (or maybe a week) all of a sudden everything starts working properly again. I believe this is because Google makes a fix for the crap MS screwed up the week earlier.

Mike,
Another thought... I could try removing IE8 and reinstalling it on this machine that fails, to see if that solves it.

I found a site that mentioned that the "IC" version of IE8 that I mentioned on the failing machine is somehow modified by some Internet Content provider (like Yahoo, or ???). I can't imagine how that happened, or why, since it was installed as a MS update...?... Anyway, if I were to uninstall IE8 and reinstall it, maybe that IC crap would go away, and I could determine if that has any bearing on the situation...

Just my stupid thoughts,
Corley

PS That 4K file I mentioned in the last post is actually 4MB, not K. CRS strikes again...

Corley why do you insist on using IE? Quite that crap and move to chrome or firefox. They are much faster (well maybe not firefox anymore) but they are less prone to virus' etc. Try the portable version I linked in the post above or better yet just use Google Chrome.

Sorry it took so long to get back, but here's an update. I read through Corley's post and verified I have the same version of IE on my home and work PC's that he has. No suprise there. It also wasn't any suprise that I couldn't log onto the site from any of the other PC's at work. Our corporate IT in RI keeps all the desktop PC's on the network updated.

But there is some new info. I have a PC connected to the TV in my living room (who doesn't right.... right?). Anyway, that PC hasn't been turned on in over a year. Fired it up tonight and I can log on just fine, this PC has IE ver 8.0.6001.18702.

I have to believe it's an IE issue (as I have from the start). I'm not sure if you can find any info on the updates that MS has been releasing Mike, but hopefully this helps you. I know you've spent a lot of time on this already, and I appreciate it.

I'm going to leave this PC update free for now, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Mike, I had already cleared the cache per your instructions without success. I tried it again this morning, again with no success. I also have the 8.0.6001.18702 (no IC) version of IE8.

Re Firefox, I happened to be in a meeting yesterday that our corporate IT director was also in (he and I play golf from time to time, so he is a friend). I asked what the current corporate policy is on Firefox. He said they have not been enforcing the "No Firefox" policy for quite awhile now. He said they didn't want to make a general announcement to the organization that it was OK, but they are not doing anything to prevent it. Then he got this sh*t-eating grin on his face and said, "Guess which browser I'm running."

Corley why do you insist on using IE? Quite that crap and move to chrome or firefox. They are much faster (well maybe not firefox anymore) but they are less prone to virus' etc. Try the portable version I linked in the post above or better yet just use Google Chrome.

Fordsbyjay (Fix Or Repair Daily by Jay),

Sorry that you missed the point, I DO use other browsers, in fact that is how I am operating at this minute. However, this problem is potentially an IE problem, so that is why I'm focusing on IE at this time. How else do you isolate and fix the problem? That said, IE is on every MS system shipped, so this forum and IE ought to play nice, right? Turns out that since MS owns the lions share of the market, we usually have to conform to them, not the other way around, be that right or wrong. There are a lot of folks on here that only barely know how to use IE, and downloading / installing anything might be a challenge for them. I'm sorry you didn't understand my goal and attempt to help Mike gather data for debug. After a lifetime of software and firmware work, I can't resist my old ways I guess...

Try switching to Cheviesbyjay and it may all become clearer. HA! (TUNG IN CHEEK!)

Corley

Corley, you have a PM. Yes, I absolutely want those files. At this point, 4 KB or 4 MB makes no difference. (But I don't want to go through 4 GB files, OK? :nope:) I appreciate how you've kept your own teeth sunk into this. The IC in that browser really means nothing. There are no functionality or feature differences in an IC version. IC versions are generally versions that have been supplied by an ISP or other content provider, who have customized the default home page to reflect their company. What might be interesting would be to compare the Internet Options between the two machines, to see if there are any different settings between the two. I'm not sure if that information is something that would be included in ther SysInfo files or not. I have your files in hand and will see what I can learn from them.

Jay, I'll let Windows update anything security-related. Not because I really want to, because I only browse the Web with Windows for work. I allow Windows security updates, because I figure the majority of Windows users are allowing them. That keeps my system somewhat close to their own, when I'm trying to test things. When other updates come along, I look them over before allowing them. After using Win 7 for about a year, I have to say it's not so bad. But I'm sold on using Linux. I'm not a gamer, so I don't need Windows for anything. The company I am contracted with uses a sidebar tool that will only work with Windows Firefox. And Firefox 3, if you can imagine. I asked them if they had any plans for updating the tool to work with Linux and their response was, "Oh. You're one of those." Yes, I most certainly am.

My Linux installs are all set up to check for updates in any of the repositories I have enabled in etc/apt/sources.list If it finds an update, it flags me up with a wee icon on a task bar. I can then look to see what it is, what repo its coming from and decide whether or not to install it. In nearly every instance, it's all worked slick as a whistle. I did have one rather large download/install that hammered this 32 bit LMDE machine. I mean it crashed it, but good. I was tinkering around with the Mint 10 Julia Live CD, so I installed it for a change of pace. It's actually simple to change Linux distros, for the biggest part. You stick the operating system in a root directory, all of the programs go into a /home directory and you set up a /swap directory. This machine went from Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala to Linux Mint 9 Isadora to Linux Mint Debian Edition 10 to Linux Mint 10 Julia and I never lost anything. I was backing up the /home directory to an external 1TB drive, but I've never needed the back up for anything. I pretty much look at Windows as being the Dark Side, these days.

As a quick aside, I think Corley is actually a Firefox user, because he also uses Linux on occasion. I think he's just been doing a lot of IE testing, in an appreciated effort to help me remain sane. :nod:

Steve, thank you, as well. With that browser being the same release as what Corley is using, we might be able to do some testing back and forth.

Lee, I figured you had probably tried it already, but I was interested to see what would happen if you hadn't.

Is it safe to start narrowing the field down to Internet 8? Have any of you experienced this problem on IE 7 or on IE 9?

How about Firefox? Those who have/had problems on Firefox, can you list what version you were running? If you are running Firefox 3, have you tried upgrading to Firefox 3.6.16 yet? If not, it's available and you might want to test to see if it makes any difference?

Was anyone having trouble with Opera? If so, what version? Opera 11.01 is the latest version, so see if that makes a difference?

Was anyone having trouble with Google Chrome? What version? Try upgrading to 10.0.648.204, if you're not already running it.

Anyone having any problems with Safari and if so, what version? Safari 5 has been released, so try upgrading to it, if you're still running 4.

Mike, just got on here by going through FireFox on my work computer. I think it has something to do with roots that were embedded in an update that was pushed onto our system.

On the Buckethead Bash forums, When I now try to read any posts, it denies me for [content-games] whereas I could read before the updates.

Had my IT tech come and try to fix and said he could not because they even blocked him from repairing these last updates, and also trouble with other sites that we use here at work.

Don't know anything else that would help you. Sorry, Bruce

Mike, just got on here by going through FireFox on my work computer. I think it has something to do with roots that were embedded in an update that was pushed onto our system.

On the Buckethead Bash forums, When I now try to read any posts, it denies me for [content-games] whereas I could read before the updates.

Had my IT tech come and try to fix and said he could not because they even blocked him from repairing these last updates, and also trouble with other sites that we use here at work.

Don't know anything else that would help you. Sorry, Bruce

For got to say I am using Windows7/IE

yep I can. Just put on my glasses to see what you are saying
Gerry

Very strange....I can sign in on my step-daughter's laptop but not on my desktop. Both are running same version of IE8. Installing Chrome on my desktop now. Stupid computers!!!!

Chrome is installed and I signed in from my desktop. This is stranger than science.

Very strange....I can sign in on my step-daughter's laptop but not on my desktop. Both are running same version of IE8. Installing Chrome on my desktop now. Stupid computers!!!!

Chrome is installed and I signed in from my desktop. This is stranger than science.

Yep me to !! can't sign in

Fordsbyjay (Fix Or Repair Daily by Jay),

Try switching to Cheviesbyjay and it may all become clearer. HA! (TUNG IN CHEEK!)

Corley

I don't need a chevy to be ignorant. I was just offering some of my experiences so that maybe any one bit of it might help. Just because IE is factory loaded doesn't make it the best thing out there or even a program that people should use. Anyways, good luck with it.

Btw, stick this is in your cheek.

IMAGE REMOVED

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back