Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Changing from spindle mouted rim

f1drivr

I bought a 23 T that has been sitting for a while. The front wheels are wire and a few of the spokes are broken, I want to put regular rims on the front, but don't want to speed a small fortune on it. The front spindles are from Total Performance (FS100C). Whats the best way to go? Thanks CBW

Re: Changing from spindle mounted rim

f1drivr said:
I bought a 23 T that has been sitting for a while. The front wheels are wire and a few of the spokes are broken, I want to put regular rims on the front, but don't want to speed a small fortune on it. The front spindles are from Total Performance (FS100C). What’s the best way to go? Thanks CBW

First off...

:lol:

Yep... them old hallcraft wheels broke spokes... I went through 2 sets before I stepped up and got the ones Total has by Dayton... much stronger and have run them without any problems.

However, if you want to switch to a more conventional wheel and tire combo, I believe the TP spindles are Compatible with 1937 -1948 early Ford hubs...

If you want to use disk brakes, this kit from Speedway Motors is designed to fit on early ford spindles and uses the 1978-up GM Metric calipers. The link below has Chevy bolt pattern for wheels but they make one for Ford bolt pattern as well... there are lots of options, just thought I'd show you one..

910-31946-ASSEM_L.JPG

Speedway Complete Brake Kits: 1978-Up GM Caliper to Early Ford Spindles, Chevy Bolt Pattern

Lots of guys are running the GM Calipers... but a lighter setup would be the wilwood setup as shown below... More $$$

835-1401501_L.JPG

Post some pics!

I too would like to get rid of the spindle/hub spokes wheels on mine.

Hey LumenAl,

You wouldn't by chance have the part number for the Wilwood set up? I like them over the Speedway set up. I would rather run a rotor like the Wilwood set up -vs- the Speedway set up. I'm also looking to run the same set up on the rear.

Re: Changing from spindle mounted rim

T 4 2 said:
I too would like to get rid of the spindle/hub spokes wheels on mine.

Hey LumenAl,

You wouldn't by chance have the part number for the Wilwood set up?

835-1401501_L.JPG

Link below

Wilwood "Black Gold" 1937-48 Ford Brake Kit

You should also be able to find a setup for your rear brakes... it would be dependent on what you're running for a rear axle...

Well, I got my rims and spindles powder coated silver and ordered twisted SS spokes from Buchanan's spoke and rim. Trying to re-lace the rim is not easy. I think Buchanan's my not have gotten the bends right (not sure yet). Are the Hallcraft hubs centered in the rim or does the out side stick out a little further? Can someone post a few close-up picks of the Hallcraft rims? Thanks, CW

Ted Brown said:
as far as the speedway brake kits go, they say this..
Not for use with bolt-on steering arms. The 11" rotor brake kits are great for Street Rods based on 1932-1948 Fords. However these kits are much too large and heavy for a T-bucket or early roadster.
910-31940 Instructions (pdf) Just thought I would pass that along.. :lol:

Unsprung weight issue aside, how can one have too much braking power?

Bob

I spoke to them when i purchased mine and they speedway and total said they sell 10 to 1 11 inch chevy with metric caliper, mine work fine. Of course i would love the 1000.00 dollar brakes but the 300 dollar ones will have to do untill my rich aunt passes away i guess.

Speaking of running the 78-87 GM "G Body" metric calipers, have any of you that are using them had trouble getting a hard pedal on the first stroke? I've heard that they are "low drag" calipers and should be used with a quick take up master cylinder. The low drag calipers have a piston seal configuration that causes the pad to retract away from the rotor, thus requiring more master cylinder volume to move the piston back out than can be provided by a conventional master cylinder without pumping the pedal. Experience? Opinions?

Bob

Speaking of running the 78-87 GM "G Body" metric calipers, have any of you that are using them had trouble getting a hard pedal on the first stroke?

I haven't really run into that problem but I'm useing a master cylinder and booster from that era as well and I have the metric calipers on all 4 corners

terrymac said:
Speaking of running the 78-87 GM "G Body" metric calipers, have any of you that are using them had trouble getting a hard pedal on the first stroke?

I haven't really run into that problem but I'm useing a master cylinder and booster from that era as well and I have the metric calipers on all 4 corners

Can you tell me what vehicle it's sourced from?

Bob

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back