Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cheap T Project

Never give up! My bucket took 5 years to get it to a point that I could drive it! I thought that was long. Spanky has me beat. His took 15 years. He gets the gold star.
My bucket was built on the cheap. I bought a 1966 Chevy Impala from a friend who was moving for $100.00. That gave me the engine and all it's accessories, trans, drive shaft, steering box, etc. A lot of swap meet parts. I made the frame, front axle, radius rods, steering arm and drag link. A lot of blood, sweat and tears! Of course that was more than 40 years ago when I had a lot more energy and ambition. Today it's a chore just to climb in and out of it! Next bucket has a door!

Thank you gentleman for your words of inspiration! I'm going to the garage to finish my trans mount tonight. I was hoping to get to the driving stage by the end of summer. (even if it's just in the driveway!!) I'll no doubt run out of $$ before I run out of summer. I've got a few parts left to sell so maybe I can move it along a little bit faster. Indycars, Old Round Fart, Spanky, LincolnT and Neshkoro, Thanks for your help and kind words. I'm going keep plugging away, hopefully on a nightly basis.

Just reread your build. Only comment I can make is consider gussets in the rack mount. I’m sure you have checked but some pintos had front steer arms. Be sure when you turn left the wheels turn left!
I'll be sure to recheck the steering direction. I'm not real certain on strengthening the rack mount yet. Right now it's just mocked up. I am open to suggestions though. I don't know how much force is exerted on the rack while driving and turning.

I'll be sure to recheck the steering direction. I'm not real certain on strengthening the rack mount yet. Right now it's just mocked up. I am open to suggestions though. I don't know how much force is exerted on the rack while driving and turning.

I think you will be fine. R&P is very light and your skinny wheels and tires will turn easily. BUT RE wire wheels: if you are using motorcycle wires they tend to snap wires with much use. I had to rewire my Hallcrafts, and I didn't even have any front brakes! If you are using automotive wires you should be OK.

I think you will be fine. R&P is very light and your skinny wheels and tires will turn easily. BUT RE wire wheels: if you are using motorcycle wires they tend to snap wires with much use. I had to rewire my Hallcrafts, and I didn't even have any front brakes! If you are using automotive wires you should be OK.
My rack is wrong direction or I’m trying to install it wrong. Turn left wheels right. I’ll have to check when I get off work today. Not sure how I missed something like that...I’ve got the rack mocked up behind the front cross member.

Had a friend build a race car and find out after he did all the TIG welding. He was pissed! See if you can just flip it over and still mount it ok.

I put a Mustang R&P on my roadster. Wife came into shop and I said "we have steering now." Turned wheel left wheels went right. I had the Mustang unit behind the axle. I found a Toyota rack that mounted to rear of crossmember. Then it worded correctly.

I'll have to see if I can do anything with this rack. Might just be one of those little setbacks. I believe a trip to the boneyard may be in order.........different rack, maybe look for some seats too. Hopefully I can sell my parts rear end and I'll be good. Know anyone looking for a "58 pontiac /olds 9 3/8 open rear end? LOL

I like ORF’s idea. Turn it upside down. I had a friend who was rebuilding a Model A Ford. He mounted the rear end upside down. He had 3 speeds backward and one forward. It was an easy fix.

I have discovered that there are 2 types of racks. There are those mounted in front of the cross member and those behind it. If I mounted mine in front of the cross member and changed the steering arms so they were pointing in front of the axle it would work. I don't care for what that might look like. I'm going to have to find a different rack. A rack that is made to be mounted behind the cross member which will turn the wheels the same direction as the steering wheel is turned. With the rack mounted behind it would not be very visible as viewed from the front since the axle is in front of the rack. Time to research where to get one.

Unisteer is the perfect answer but goes against the cheap goal! Sometimes safety and convenience takes the front seat. At $350 you have a decision to make. Good luck.

Unisteer is the perfect answer but goes against the cheap goal! Sometimes safety and convenience takes the front seat. At $350 you have a decision to make. Good luck.
Agreed. Won’t go cheap on steering or brakes. I’m looking into new racks today

I have some photos if you need some of my half rack..

Looking at unisteer, Detroit axle, and helix. I’m looking for safe, reliable and ease of installation if possible. ( I don’t bend so well any more)

I put my rack inside the frame. You may have room in front for the bellcrank to change foreword/back motion to left/right for steer.C74AE6E6-27BB-4A1E-A454-6B0FAB7E55F0.jpeg1A8A2742-D97F-4853-9AB2-6F7B660D1D0E.jpeg 59EA00E2-157A-4CA6-BC01-6B669D042A96.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back