Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chevy truck axle/ spindles

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
We had several requests to use the 47-59 Chevy truck spindles. No one made a drop tube axle to use those spindles. Well it seemed these old trucks are very plentiful and the spindles can be had for next to nothing in the bone yards. So we went to work and got some spindles, built a new jig and now we offer dropped tube axles that will use those Chevy/Gmc truck spindles. They are very similar to the Chevy car spindles except they have more king pin angle. We have the adapters for these spindles to put on GM midsize brakes. These axles can be had in any length and with any drop up to 6"

Hey Ron... I wish I had known you were looking for some of those truck spindles. I got a pair from Gary a few years ago.

Jackie Brown's been using those spindles for years and making his own tube axles, that 's why I got them.

Right now I'm actually wanting to find an entire Chevy truck setup (leaf springs/I-Beam/Spindles, etc) but have come up with nothing around here.

We had several requests to use the 47-59 Chevy truck spindles. No one made a drop tube axle to use those spindles. Well it seemed these old trucks are very plentiful and the spindles can be had for next to nothing in the bone yards. So we went to work and got some spindles, built a new jig and now we offer dropped tube axles that will use those Chevy/Gmc truck spindles. They are very similar to the Chevy car spindles except they have more king pin angle. We have the adapters for these spindles to put on GM midsize brakes. These axles can be had in any length and with any drop up to 6"

Ron, I have a 4" dropped axle with Chevy spindles that I bought back in the 80's from Butch's Rod Shop in Ohio. Do you know what Chevy spindles those might be?

Jim

The Chevy car and truck spindles are almost identical, but do not interchange. The truck spindle has more king pin angle and the bolt holes for the backing plates are farther apart. Making the disc brake adapters fit was just a matter of putting some new holes in the plates. The difference in the king pin angles required a whole new jig be built. They do take the same king pin and bushing sets.

As a side note the Chevy, or Chevy/GMC truck spindles do not require any bushing to be pressed and fit. So no trips to a machine shop. The bushings slip in and out with just thumb pressure and the king pin slips right in. So this just saved you at least a $50.00 trip to the machine shop.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back