Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Covid Project - 80's Project T-Rod

Finally got the floor installed and screwed to the frame. I used the long bolts and rubber expansion anchors from Speedway. I decided to take my chances at doing upholstery. I've never done upholstery work, so I took my time and did the best I could. I used 3/4" plywood for the bench frame, 2" medium density foam, and black marine vinyl. It's nice that you can purchase pleated vinyl. I ended up buying a Singer 66 for $50 off of Craigslist, and then cleaned and lubed it up well. I purchased a quilting walking foot, and it did a nice job with moving the vinyl. In some situations, I had to sew through 4-layers of vinyl and it actually went through it fairly well. Overall, the seat bench turned out OK, by no means is it excellent, but it will work for my situation. The seat is by far, the hardest part for getting all the corners and front roll bump completed. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but overall, it's not bad.

IMG_6225.jpgIMG_6228.jpgIMG_6249.jpgIMG_6250.jpgIMG_6252.jpgIMG_6257.jpgIMG_6255.jpgIMG_6259.jpgIMG_6260.jpg

Finally got the floor installed and screwed to the frame. I used the long bolts and rubber expansion anchors from Speedway. I decided to take my chances at doing upholstery. I've never done upholstery work, so I took my time and did the best I could. I used 3/4" plywood for the bench frame, 2" medium density foam, and black marine vinyl. It's nice that you can purchase pleated vinyl. I ended up buying a Singer 66 for $50 off of Craigslist, and then cleaned and lubed it up well. I purchased a quilting walking foot, and it did a nice job with moving the vinyl. In some situations, I had to sew through 4-layers of vinyl and it actually went through it fairly well. Overall, the seat bench turned out OK, by no means is it excellent, but it will work for my situation. The seat is by far, the hardest part for getting all the corners and front roll bump completed. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but overall, it's not bad.

View attachment 24987View attachment 24988View attachment 24989View attachment 24990View attachment 24991View attachment 24992View attachment 24993View attachment 24994View attachment 24995
Great job! Looks good.

Another update...I finally got the steering column and linkage completed. I discovered that the "cheap" chrome Double-D U-joints are junk. I thought it may work, but it started binding when turning the steering wheel. So, I went and bought a quality Borgeson u-joint and it worked great. Borgeson and Sweet Mfg. u-joints are the best on the market.

IMG_6262.jpg

Quality Borgeson U-Joint

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6276.jpgIMG_6277.jpg

I have a considerable investment of effort and money in the steering column/gearbox/etc. I’m sure it could have been done with boneyard pieces but I was using different parts, so some ingenuity was required and ordering parts was simpler.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back