Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

DOH!!!! What are my options.....

Yogi

VIP
VIP Member
I put my body back on yesterday and discovered I have maybe miss judged my back spacing on my Cragers. It's hard to tell by the pic but I can not even get my hand between the tire and the body at the closest place.
I don't want to take the rims and tires back, even if they let me, could I safely use maybe a 1 inch spacer?
Thoughts Ideas!?!?!?

think you need more than 1". With 10-15# of air in da bigass tires you will get quite abit of side flex when you go around a corner, especially if you go arounf faster than 5 mph or so.

I think I would take them back and get a different backspacing. What backspacing do you have now ? Also how wide is your rear from mounting flange to mounting flange ?

I would definitely take the wheels back, you're going to need more then 1 additional inch.

it's either swap the rims or the rear end. i'd do the rims too.

Ron

You probably can't take the wheels back. Usually you mount them and they are yours. Some kind of a spacer and longer studs may be the answer. What kind of a rear end is that. You can get some competition studs for a lot of factory rear ends. These are 3" long. The NHRA says wheel studs have to come all the way thru the wheel. :)

Mine went the same way but I wanted the tires as close to the body as possible....just not that close! I ended up using a 1/2" spacer on each side and it worked out perfect. I didn't even have to change the studs, that was an S-10 rear end.

I think I have a S-10 rearend too. I stopped by where I purched the rims and tires this evening on the way home from work, but the guy was out of town until Wed.. The rims are 15x14 with 4.5 offset with 15x18.5x29. I measure several times and was mainly concerned with the width and getting out my sigle width garage door.
I know what I have now is too close.....whats the closest anyone has with out rubbibg?

When talking S10 rears you need to say 2wd or 4wd.

Todd,
I am not sure what it came out of, I am the 3rd in line on this build. A fellow started it in 2002 (from Spirit) couldn't finish it due to illness, the second guy finished it and lost interest and left it sitting, I came along and found it sitting in the ellements and bought it last year and took it back all the way down to the frame and started all over. I know that Spirit uses S-10 rears, but other than that I know very little.
BH,
I think I might go with them, they have a 1.5" bolt on I might get to work. Only problem its a set of 4, twice what I need, but it will get the job done.

Thanks everyone for the input!

put the other two on here. i'm sure your not the only one that has run into this problem.

Ron

The S-10 rear I have is from a 2 wheel drive pickup, I think the 27 T from Spirit uses a rear from a 4 wheel drive blazer.

RexRod said:
... 1 1/4". May work: ...

add that to what you have, you "should" be OK.... once you install them, you could jack up one side of the rear axle nice and slow... once both wheels are off the ground, if your tire doesn't hit the body, odds are you'll be fine, sure is a cheaper remedy that new rims... and if it doesn't work, you can always resell them and be out very little cash for the effort...

Sorry Yogi.

signed,
Booboo

I'm wondering how safe these will be. I've never had to run anything like this.
The same people on Ebay have several different sizes (1", 1.25", 1.5" and 2"). I'd like to try the 1.5", has amyone else tried this, spacing out such a wide wheel?

I have a set of 2" on my 92 Camaro. When I upgraded the rims to the newer style I had to have the spacers for them to clear and fit. The way I drive and take the curves it has never let me down. And that has been over 2 years of my driving now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back