Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

DOH!!!! What are my options.....

If you can't return the wheels, then sell them and buy new wheels with less BS. I personally do not care to use spacers, because I feel the risk has just increase of snapping a stud or two or all of them while at speed if spacers are used. A friend did add spacers to his car, ran the car down the track and about the 1/8 mile or so his wheel came off and was beating his car down the remainder of the 1/4 mile. He was using 7/16" x 3.5" studs, snapped all of them on one side. Next day he bought new wheels and studs and left the spacers off the car. Since then no problems. JMHO

Well the 2" ones I use bolt to the axle and then there are studs made into the spacer. I drive very hard and have not had a problem yet. I guess if you by the plate that does not have studs made into them then I can see it being a hazard. Just my 2cents.

I would personally stay away from any spacers. T-Buckets are not the safest cars on the road, so adding spacers only makes them that much more dangerous.

thomas:)

thomas said:
T-Buckets are not the safest cars on the road,

There is something you don't want to say too loud in the wrong circles.

The only way to be safe is abstaining from hotrodding. SCREW THAT. Me? If I wanted to drive my Bucket not now but RIGHT NOW, Id buy the spacers. I have a third Gen trans am and a lot of guys use spacers when they do the C5 brake upgrades and larger rims. no problems. Id buy em for now and save my pennies for the wheels I want. Additionally, if you arent driving this thing like the duke boys...Id be reasonably sure theyre okay. Every single stud snapping on someones wheel leads me to believe something was installed improperly. The car doesnt know you have spacers on...snapping the STUDS off means either the spacer was flopping around on the studs (improper torque specs?) or the studs were junk to begin with. My dads 55 chevy just broke one stud after oh Id say 20yrs of hard living on the ORIGINAL studs in the ORIGINAL rear. This is with a set of old Ansen Unilugs, so he checks them once a week anyway. Go buy yourself some ARP or Moroso studs and a pair of spacers If you cant wait; check em once a week like you should anyway. Thats what *I* would do if I wasnt surrounded by snow. But with Xmas and all, you could ask for a chunk of money for new rims and sell the old ones on here or eGay

Nate

I went with the 1 1/2" spacers from fleabay. I tourqued them down to 100 ft. pounds and used the 14" wide Cragers w/ 4.5 backspace. The look great, will get ot my standard single car garage door with 2" to spare on each side.....i am set now. The manufature reccomends checking the tourque every 10 miles until they stay tourqued.
I am not real hard on a readend, but I might have to light them up once in a while.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back