Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

E-bay find

I agree, looks like a great T, even has some 194 early heads on her too. I think the front spring setup looks kinda cool, definately different, wonder if it is oingy though?? 10 grand cant get you much anymore, especially a driver.

You are absolutely right. I see posts on different forums all the time where some new to the hobby guy is saying he wants to build his first hot rod, and I usually recommend they buy someone else's cast off project or a running car the first time, and then make it their own. They don't realize what it takes to build a car from the ground up. It's expensive, time consuming, and requires a fair amount of skill and equipment to do it right. You usually end up with more in tools and equipment than the actual car itself!!

For the $ 9800 this guy wants you would have to spend twice that probably to put together a comparable car. Sure, it is a little worn in spots and needs the handling issues taken care of, but it sure beats spending a year or two or more cutting and grinding and painting, when you could be driving around and enjoying it instead.

I'm not saying people shouldn't build their own cars, just the opposite. But for the very first one, for someone who has never done one, I think going this route makes so much more sense. How many times do guys jump in and start building one from scratch then realize they are in over their heads and bail out at a big loss?

Good point Youngster.

Don

I did the same thing bought before build paid $10000 put some into it and have a decent driver with a few small issues to work out but I driving it in the mean time.First thing I would do is get rid of points distrubutor.More dependable.

After taking a closer look at this car, I would say it's built from the plans in the '67 Car Craft series that neal East and the L.A. Roadsters built. The front end is almost bolt for bolt from that series. The rearend too.

As Don says, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from building either. That's the only way you are going to end up with just what you want. For an entry level car, you just can't beat someting like this.

Ron

Right you are Youngster. That's a Cal Automotive frame. Car Craft used that design on their project T. I was looking at the auction this morning and thinking it was a great deal for someone.

CalAutomotive-vi.jpg

Just for comparison;

67c7_12.JPG

ok, someone buy it. Ditch the front end and give me the front wheels and brakes.

About 20 years ago I went to a car show in Port Charlotte, Florida, and there was a T bucket there that the guy had built bolt for bolt like the Car Craft one, even down to the cross ram intake. It was really a cool little T, with Corvair springs and all. I always loved that series Car Craft did, they showed you every step of building one of these........very informative articles.

Don

I went the way of buying a T already built and in poor shape ,not haveing the skills and tools to build my own I found it on e bay ,sad part is I paid 2 times what it was really worth but with a little work and I ended up with the T I wanted in about 4 months instead of years ,before picture
107350-4sm.jpg
cture

You made a nice looking car out of your e-bay find.

I like the Wheelie Bars and Zoomies [hope they have baffles]:cry:

I have no regrets in doing the e-bay thing. I have some things to do this winter; i.e. re-wire the car (and ditch the rats nest wire job), repaint, and otherwise personalize it.

I was shocked when I spec.'ed out a kit and was up to $16.5K and still had to obtain an engine, exhaust, tranny, paint, guts to the rear end, and wheels and tires to name a few items.

Like y'all say it's a great learning tool for a future build.

JC

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back