Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

electric fuel pump problem? Thats a maybe.

I have two of those Holley pumps. A red one on the rear tank on my dually, and a blue marine version on my cuddly cabin. I’ve had trouble with both of them. The one in my truck acts similar to what yours is doing. I haven’t diagnosed it yet, I’ll likely just ditch it. The one in my boat was brand new and locked up after sitting over the winter. When I disassembled it, it looked like it had been in a lake for years. All corroded up. The ethanol destroys them, they do not stand up to it well. I do think parts are available to service them. When the one on my truck acts up, I can tap on it and it will usually run. I suspect it has internal corrosion like the marine one did.

I do think parts are available to service them.
I had a electric fuel pump failure in August 2021 and I couldn't find any replacement parts then. Quickfuel sells an end bell that looks like it should work but will not. For more info check out my thread on this situation.

I have had several Holley fuel pump failures. I moved to a K&N from Advanced Auto, with a lifetime warranty and have not had a problem!

I have had several Holley fuel pump failures. I moved to a K&N from Advanced Auto, with a lifetime warranty and have not had a problem!
Not trying to talk down or criticize your choice rbsWelder. Just didn't want others to think that would work for everyone.

Using the pump below as an example

That would not flow enough for any engines over a couple hundred horsepower. The pump flow rate 38 gph and that's free flow, it's not pumping against any pressure.

Edelbrock Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pump - 38 GPH / 144 LPH (Gasoline/E85)

1729025229564.png

Fuel flow at a pressure of 5 psi will cut the free flow rate more than 1/2. The Holley pump below is rated at 97 GPH, but at 5 psi its only flowing 44 gph. Therefore the flow rate of the Advance Auto pump would be 17 GPH.

Below is the Holley pump and it's flow at different pressures.

1729026654346.png

Using the Fuellabs calculator, 17gph would support about 225 HP.

1729027846061.png 1729027950572.png

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back