Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

engine miss and popping

dustytrails

heres a list of my problems so far only about 30 miles on new rebuild every thing is new carbs,intake,cam,rings pistons,distrubitor,rough idle,stall when stepping on gas,popping on both sides at high idle,oil on plugs and inside headers,after driveing a few miles i get oil around distrubitor and rear main leaking,every thing has been checked,timeing right plug wires in right place,no pcv valve,useing 2 breathers ,valve lifters bleed down as you watch,i know they bleed down but should it be that fast

No Pcv? you may be building up Crankcase pressure causing blow by.
What's your initial and total timing?
What type of ignition are you using?
What your vacuum reading at idle. Is it steady?

the popping sounds like a carb adjustment or maybe timing or ignition.my first thaught was it is running lean.the oil sounds like a ring seating problem.i know some guys that use hard molly rings and they are a bear to get seated the block has to be honed realy well to seat them properly.i use cast rings and have never had any trouble getting them seated.but in either situation it sounds like the rings are not fully seated and this is causing exsess blow by and extra pressure is going into the crank case causing oil to be forced out of the seals.could also be that some of the ring gaps are alligned.on the bad part you could have a broke ring.as for the lifters i am not real sure on these so i am going to leave that for some one else that has more experiance.just my thoughts Dan

How much lifter pre-load did you put in it? It sounds like the valves are hanging open to me.

And to clarify, the moly facing on a ring is actually soft. The reason a block must be honed differently for a moly-faced ring is that the moly requires a much 'smoother' finish. A cast ring can seal on a rather aggressive finish, which would tear the facing off a moly ring. A properly prepped cylinder wall and a moly-faced ring will seal almost immediately, whereas a cast ring can take some time to seal up. A moly ring is always going to need clean oil and clean filters, in order to survive.

Mike said:
How much lifter pre-load did you put in it? It sounds like the valves are hanging open to me.

And to clarify, the moly facing on a ring is actually soft. The reason a block must be honed differently for a moly-faced ring is that the moly requires a much 'smoother' finish. A cast ring can seal on a rather aggressive finish, which would tear the facing off a moly ring. A properly prepped cylinder wall and a moly-faced ring will seal almost immediately, whereas a cast ring can take some time to seal up. A moly ring is always going to need clean oil and clean filters, in order to survive.
thanks for clarifying mike,i was under the impression that the molly was harder.from what you explained the molly rings i have seen used were probably honed wrong therefore presenting the sealing problem or breaking the rings or sumthin to that effect.i personaly have never used them always cast. cast has been tried and trued in my opinion so i prefer to stick with them.lol:lol:

I think I would run a compression check, and see what you get. Then we can have a point to start fixing something. Right now you have what looks like a problem causing more problems, when that happens you can end up running in circles real easy. I think a compression check can point you in the right direction. Keep us informed.:D

Distributor is in 1 tooth off......
Put the right pcv valve in it also. makes a world of difference.. Best of luck!!

1st check oil level when not running if ok make sure u have a gasket around dist base. popping on both sides is a timing prob at idle try 16 above and then check at 3000 rpm and let us know what advance u have. check compression and hopefully it will be a min of 150 hopefully u didnt put rings on so that gap lines up on all three rings. hope this helps keep us informed we will help all we can oh yea ford or chevy motor mike

Just out of curiosity who set your valvetrain up and were the cam and lifters broken in properly?
Take it from me, if that isnt right you got problems..
Pop a valve cover off and watch all the rocker arms and see if any look "lazy".
Possibly knocked off a lobe..
Please keep us updated!! Paul

found the cause of all my problems,needed a pcv system instead of dual breathers no pcv was causing to much inturnal pressure causeing oil leaks ,pro comp electronic distrubitor was was crap <you get what you pay for 69.95 on ebay>replaced it with msd distrubitor and coil $375.00 and runs like a champ now ,scared to open second 4 bbl, now i know what it must be like to be catapulted off an aircraft carrier

This is good news!
glad to hear it all worked out with no major surgery required.
That launch off an aircraft carrier feeling is awesome isnt it? I really enjoy seeing the look of shock when people arent expecting it to be quite so quick. lolol Have an awesome summer!!

Great its fixed. :D It is a thrill to open it up a run every now and then. :feedback:

As a rule, I NEVER buy anything electrical on eBay... Every time I did it bit me...EVERY time... I buy stuff that can't break on eBay, that's about it, and only with rating in very high percentages only! I run dual carbs on a tunnel ram so I run about 16 degrees advanced with a Mechanical advance Mallory distributor and electronic ignition...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back