Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

fletchersons T project

Thanks, that function doesn't work on this site for me, never has. Idk if it's because I am using an apple product, but the only way I've ever been able to post any images or pics on here is via a photo share site, even when I use my Laptop that's loaded with Microsoft, and that's a bit cumbersome to perform a simple paste function. Text works ok. Btw, I just tried it again with the same non result. Thanks for being helpful!

Thanks, that function doesn't work on this site for me, never has. Idk if it's because I am using an apple product, but the only way I've ever been able to post any images or pics on here is via a photo share site, even when I use my Laptop that's loaded with Microsoft, and that's a bit cumbersome to perform a simple paste function. Text works ok. Btw, I just tried it again with the same non result. Thanks for being helpful!

I have an Apple system and I use Photobucket with absolutely no problems what so ever. Give it a try.

Jim

Ok, after staring at the computer for several hours, I found the best price on new model t door latches was actually on eBay. Macs price was ok, but their shipping killed the deal. So if you are reading this and considering using them, there you go. They are "Eckler's" brand, and were $ 32.00 each plus $14.00 shipping per latch, but they combined the shipping, so less than $80.00 for a pair of new latches. I'm glad that I snagged those used strikes when I did, I couldn't find them for less than $30.00 each....ouch. Anyways I also ordered some new 6"x48" sanding belts and 8" discs (zirconium) and a 3" long flush cut router bit to assist with final fitting the door gaps as I want to remove enough material to allow room to glass the edges of the doors and the inside of the jambs, so everything should be strong, uniform, and weatherproof when finished. I may go ahead and cut the other side out this week while waiting on the brown truck to arrive. If I get back out to the shop, I will snap some pics to illustrate my progress, or lack thereof. Oh. I also found some interesting door latch handle extensions that are designed to fit on the model t latches. They are available in chrome, polished brass, and nickel. I almost sprung for them, but decided to wait until I'm finished fitting everything to determine if they would add to the finished product. They were $24.00 a pair at Macs. They also have several weather strip options to seal the model t doors in various thickness in 1/16" increments. That may be an option to address rattle, noise, weather, etc.

Well, not much production to report this week. Been rainy, now snowing, the sun won't shine, my body aches, and the recliner won't relinquish its grip.... the brown truck just arrived, so progress is imminent. Here's the thing, after all of the Internet searching for door latches, they came in a Macs box. It aggravates me that they will sell on e bay under a different name for less than their site. I've experienced this with others too. Especially the shipping. Same box, same origin and destination, but twenty dollars price difference. It seems to me that if they simply priced their stuff competitively they would have more loyal customers, or is everything a racket? Why must they wast my time? End of rant, sorry!

6a6d4367-aa08-4967-8dcf-bb2eb87597d8_zpsggmrnk7n.jpg
IMG_0551_zpsaiwvbvn5.jpg
IMG_0552_zpsgctclgpo.jpg
IMG_0553_zpspnx3bqkw.jpg
ok, here are the latches, the strikes, my hack job of cutting the door, and the reason why I didn't get to work on it today, my daughter had a rollover and was then hit by a truck.... no severe injuries, thank God.

I agree about Macs and there excessive shipping charges. Seems like all I do lately is search for a better price and end up seeing the same part in different web sites with exorbitant shipping costs. Glad your daughter is ok, looks like a nasty wreck.

Seems like all I do lately is search for a better price and end up seeing the same part in different web sites with exorbitant shipping costs.

I was gonna buy some of Kugel Komponents 90° standoff line clamps.
3-8-90-standoff.jpg
The come in a 4 pack for $17.95. That's fine.

But then the shipping was $12.00! You could fit all four of them in your palm and what do they weigh? A few ounces.

I'll just make my own.

I was gonna buy some of Kugel Komponents 90° standoff line clamps.
View attachment 12977
The come in a 4 pack for $17.95. That's fine.

But then the shipping was $12.00! You could fit all four of them in your palm and what do they weigh? A few ounces.

I'll just make my own.
Many times I end up modifying the stuff I order anyways. As for the shipping, It's not just the vendors fault either, I recently purchased a new radiator and some gas struts from different sellers and both were not correct for the advertised application. I contacted the vendors and they issued refunds, but weren't willing to issue return shipping labels and told me to keep or dispose of the items. I guess the shipping is a sore spot with them also. That's a pretty big hit for them to take. But from their perspective, paying shipping both ways on product that is either mis labeled or mis packaged, or whatever, is a lose, lose scenario. It makes me wonder how much more I am paying for stuff due to shipping before having it added to the price.

At our shop we have a saying. "it's a direct bolt on fit, if you have a full fab shop to modify or fix it". And yes a lot of times it is not worth the time or money for a vendor to hassle with returns on small items. We always ship our products with no markup in shipping charges. It's the fair thing to do.

I haven't made too much progress with all of the stress and related from the accident, my wife flew out to see her mom in fla, so me, the critters, and my daughter are holding down the farm, and the respiratory infection that I thought was finished is back with a vengeance, so back to the doctor today...Violin? Anyways, I did get one door hinged and swinging. It fits really good, but in my over attention to fitting the gap prior to hinging it, I removed more material than I should have, so in the process of making it swing and close right due to the body contour, I had to mortise the hinge deeper on the bottom, so my perfect gap is not so. I over thought it. I planned on glassing the door edges and jambs anyways, but only a couple of band type layers of glass. I am less than thrilled with myself. Any ideas of the best material to use to build the glass on the edges of the door? I plan on using glass resin and mat. I have several weights of biaxial, and chopped on hand. It's not an excessive gap, but door edges are prone to more abuse than other areas. I'm thinking that drilling some holes in the door edge will allow the resin to penetrate and allow for a stronger, more durable bond. Thoughts?

I agree about Macs and there excessive shipping charges. Seems like all I do lately is search for a better price and end up seeing the same part in different web sites with exorbitant shipping costs. Glad your daughter is ok, looks like a nasty wreck.
Thanks! It was nasty. She is very lucky. I didn't expect what I saw when I got to the scene. Other than some internal bruising from the seat belt, she's seems fine. I'm glad she was wearing it.

Without seeing the gap it sounds like you are headed in the right direction with the fiberglass fix. I would drill some holes like you said to get a good strong bond. I am not an expert at glass work but what I have done in the past has not fallen off yet and the boat I repaired didn't sink.

Sensible girl, your daughter, wearing a seat belt. Not worth the risk to not these days with complete dimwits on the road. From the pics looks like a hard impact.... nice to know she is OK.
Gerry

I haven't spent much time in the shop, I did get the passenger door to swing and close to my satisfaction, will likely get out there and mortise the latch in it today, then I will band the edges of the door and jamb with glass. Fitting the door and the hinge gaps to my satisfaction took much more effort than I expected. Im too picky, but I spent many years hanging doors in everything from houses to schools, jails, etc... the non flat, non square, non level, non plumb ness of the bucket makes it less than ideal, lol. I'm still deciding how I want to finish the inside stop area of the jambs, it will likely just be a glass lip extending past the opening. I'm not super impressed with the rigidity of the hinges. They work fine, just seem less strong than I prefer. I may modify them. As long as no one leans on the door while open, no problem. Always something. My friend came out yesterday with the wheel adapters that he is making to install the discs on my twelve spoke spindle mounts. He wanted to re mock them to verify the how deep to mount them. That turned out to be a pretty invasive procedure, but he made them out of stainless, they will cup the actual wheel around the bearing cup area and bolt to the wheel with countersunk, flat head hardened bolts and the discs will mount to them and through bolt to the wheels. The seal will actually press into the adapters because there wasn't enough material on the wheels. It was a motivator to spend time with him and his son, we have built many machines together in the past. It was good to deal with something besides my daughters wreck and me being sick, for a welcomed change.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back