Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford 300 inline 6 for a bucket

I was just covering all the bases......doesn't hurt to have too much infomation on things that way YOUcan make that all important decision!

I build blower setups/ engine combos for the pro people, and every-once-a-while, I'll have one want to do a rundown on prices. Its funny, they don't mind me putting together a totally killer blower setup for their AA/FC car; teflon tipped rotors, coated drilled drive gears and special low drag bearings.............but they want to go frugal on the streetrod.....:welcome::lol:

Here are a few pictures I had found on the net some time back. I don't know who owns the car or who took the pictures.

1526894740_b862c1b8c3.jpg
1526033853_3f24266b0a.jpg

1526908034_241e75a83d.jpg

You don't see many buckets with an in-line six and I think you'd like going with one in yours. I have a 235 CI in-line six out of a '57 Chevy matched to a 2 speed GM Powerglide transmission in mine...ergo the name "Six-Shooter". Check out the Inliners International website for more info.

Hey Six

I was checking your ride out in the gallery, very cool. I'm on a couple inline forums but mostly just read. I'm excited about the project and think it will be fun. How's the power in your ride? Got plenty of umph for fun???

Mike

mikesplumbing,

i drove a 95 ford f150 for 10yrs, it had the 300 i-6 in it, it and the 302 ford motors are my favorite ford engines...

my old 95 ford had some work done to it, i was looking for fuel mileage because stock, the fuel mileage on a good day was 15mpg it wasnt the most economical engine for sure..

i took all emissions stuff off the truck, cut the catalytic converter off of it, put a split exhaust manifold on it, put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it, msd coil, did some work on the throttle body, and the throttle position sensor and a copy of a flowmaster from summitracing.. computer didnt have to be messed with because i didnt go to far with the mods and the computer was speed density so it would handle alot of mods... the truck wouldnt get out of its own way, but it got up to 20mpg , and ran a helluvalot better than stock, it would pull a house, i couldnt tell my boat was behind it... i did this stuff to it and was planning on going farther with milling the head .100 and putting a cam and adjustable rocker arms on it.. even pondered with sticking a blower on it, with stock pistons the most boost you can run is like 6 lbs, and thats going to net you around 70 hp on a stock engine, even looked at turbo charging, if i were to boost one it would be with a turbo, the inlines work better with a turbo rather than a blower.. with the cam, milling head and exhaust ,rockerarms, carb you were closer to 100hp, so actually it was more effective to use natual aspiration than using boost to a point.. if you put forged pistons in and cranked up boost to 10lbs or better it was more effective..

basicly just playing and using leftover parts i had like the muffler and coil, and adjustable regulator from an old mustang, the split manifold/header was from an old dragracer buddy of mine that i had to modify to work.. i was after a lil better performance but i knew the truck would get better fuel mileage, i think if i were to put a bigger cam in it fuel mileage would have been even better, i think what i was hitting was the power to weight ratio of the truck was way low with the I-6, on the books stock the I-6 was about 150hp and i knew it would get alot better mileage if i could get the power up on the engine, and i was correct..

i looked at sticking a turbo on it, a relatively cheap way to do it was using a mitsubishi turbo and 24lb injectors with adjustable fuel pressure regulator, the computer wasnt a problem just as long as you didnt go nuts with the boost, but i was also told i could send the computer in and have it reprogrammed with a different map sensor..

but i was satisfied with its performance as it was so i just drove it for 5 more years without having truck payment, when i was wanting a truck with more power i ordered a 2wd dodge ram swb 2wd with a hemi and towing package, sold my old ford (which i kick myself everytime i think about it) but i shouldnt have, should have kept the old ford, it was the most dependable vehicle i have ever owned hands down...
i bought that truck new for $13000 drove off the lot, drove it for 10yrs, kept the oil and plugs, and cleaned the filter ever 4000 miles religiously changed tranny fluid every 40k miles..sold it with 160k miles on it for $3000 to an old man that is still driving it daily, i think now that truck is now 15yrs old and i still see it about once a week going down the road..

i would probably buy it back from him...

Well, it's been in the back of my head for a number of years now. I always liked how much power people get out of the inline 300 and always thought it would be pretty cool in a street rod. I have a buddy that has one he pulled out of a dump truck that ran so well he didn't really want to scrap it. We were talking this morning and I decided to use it for my bucket project instead of my 327 Chevy. It's quite a change for sure but I think it would not only be fun for my son and I but would look pretty nice. It's a good thing I listened to you guys and waited before cutting up parts for the chassis because the engine is about 36" long and may need a little extra rooom.

Anyhow, any of you guys have a bucket with an inline 6? Or anybody ever think of putting one in? Just trying to pick up as much information as I can here. People have told me in the good old days many of the old rodders used inlines so I would bet some of you have some good lessons for me.

Mike

I'm a fan of Ford in a Ford... and I like things to be different...

so, I really like the idea of the 300 I6
We had one in a 79 Ford Truck when I was a kid...
that thing pulled as strong or stronger than the following truck with a 302

if you mentioned it farther down I missed it...
what Tranny are you thinking of using?

I'm still in dream mode....
I know for certain, I want a T-Bucket.
I know I want it to be Ford in a Ford.
6 cyl is right up my alley for being different...

You don't see many buckets with an in-line six and I think you'd like going with one in yours. I have a 235 CI in-line six out of a '57 Chevy matched to a 2 speed GM Powerglide transmission in mine...ergo the name "Six-Shooter". Check out the Inliners International website for more info.

very cool

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back