Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Inserts...

I have Sanderson Limefire headers on my T and I was going to buy a set of ones that I found, but they were pretty pricey, so I built my own for a few bucks. They really do drop the sound to a nice level compared to running open headers.

All I did was take a piece of 2 inch exhaust tubing and cut it into two equal pieces, one for each side. Then I took a 2 inch hole saw and cut a hole in the middle of a steel plate I made to the same shape as my header flange. Next I drilled holes throughout the tubing and welded it into the flange I built, and finally I took a punch and shaped each hole into somewhat of a scoop shape.

Here are some pictures of how I did it. With the turnouts installed you can't even see the baffles in there.

Don

tbafflesforheaders003-1.jpg

tbafflesforheaders010-1-1.jpg

tbafflespainted-1.jpg

theaderturnouts-1.jpg

think these are mainly for riceburners with the coffee can type mufflers. They look very restrictive.

Thanks for the ideas and advice guys. Still not sure if I want to try these or not. Why can't I be happy with what I have...lol? I feel the need to rebuild everything and make it louder for some reason...lol.

engine24355 said:
Thanks for the ideas and advice guys. Still not sure if I want to try these or not. Why can't I be happy with what I have...lol? I feel the need to rebuild everything and make it louder for some reason...lol.

There by the grace of god I discover I'm not alone in this world! :welcome:

if you are not going to change or build your car to fit you then you might as well be driving a new mustang

Ron

Well, I decided to try a pair of these CC header collector inserts. Installed the inserts and fired her up. They were pretty loud, but not as loud as open. I am tweaking a little to tune in the sound level I want, but like what I hear so far. Ken at Car Chemistry has been very helpful and responsive. Stay tuned for the final tune and pics to come.

Nice work on the inserts. But, I too think they are a bit restrictive. If you're planning on only driving your bucket to and from shows. I'd say don't even install them. But, if it will be use as a DD then yes you may want to install some type of inserts. Question, Whats wrong with a loud, heathty sounding bucket rolling down the street?

I saw some in a post that looked like an auger in the collector that claimed 10 DB drop in sound

Looks like you could wrap some fiberglass around them.

I am going to try the stainless steel wrap approach for starters. Ken at CC has been very helpful and has given many great suggestions on how to tune in just the right sound without being too restrictive. Stay tuned...

i was planning on running open headers until i was thinking that the neighbors wont like when i fire the bucket up at 6 in the morning to goto work. So what should i use to quiet it down a bit? i dont want to run an exhaust sytem with mufflers though.

Youngn said:
i was planning on running open headers until i was thinking that the neighbors wont like when i fire the bucket up at 6 in the morning to goto work. So what should i use to quiet it down a bit? i dont want to run an exhaust sytem with mufflers though.

So far, I really like the inserts. I have them installed so it looks like open headers until you look closer. I want to be considerate to my neighbors and others too so I did not want to run open. The inserts give a good tone and are quieter than open headers, but still pretty loud (IMO). That is why I decided to quiet down some so I will not annoy my neighbors or go deaf driving...lol. However, there is something to be said for loud pipes. After all "loud pipes save lives".

I run open turnouts because they are 4" diameter and there are no 4" augers. I had a buddy laser cut me some spider looking jobbies and tacked them to a new set of augers and slipped them in. It quieted it down but now I am used to the open headers. So I took them out and slipped them into the jetboat headers.

I bought some DNA Full Thottle Collectors that are made out of SS and I polished them. I will have them on by spring so I will see how they sound.

I usually just lurk here, but I want to thank ya'll for all the info on the header inserts. I am at the point of firing my 27 , and this thread was just what I needed....:clap:

I was about to commit to building the baffles myself and thought I might find some inexpensive stainless pie pans to use until blownt posted about the augers. Man, the price is right and I can notch the augers if they are too quiet. Great suggestions and Speedway will have them here in 2 days or less.

Thanks for the sound advise,
railroad

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back