Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Holes...

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Until yesterday I'd been planning that my frame would have a short Z kickup on the front end, to clear my rack and pinion steering. Yesterday it dawned on me that somewhere in the evolution of the frame layout, the R&P unit was almost perfectly aligned with the center line of the main frame rail. Today I experimented with doing away with the Z kick-up, and running the the R&P bellows through a minimum 3" ID sleeved hole in the main frame rail...see below.

My questions are, with a 4"x2"x 1/8" frame rail, a 3/16" wall sleeve, is a sleeved hole of that size going to weaken the frame too much? Would a thinner wall sleeve, and leaving more of the frame sides intact be better? Or would going the other way, and going with a larger OD thicker wall sleeve be best? Should I scrap the whole idea, and go back to the short Z kick-up?Clipboard01.jpg

Zandoz,

No need to use .187 wall tube. Good rule of thumb is to match the wall thickens of the rectangular tube you are sleeving. Personally I would probably use .065 or .083 wall sleeve. I see you are using Draftsight for your drawings. After running Auto Cad starting with Version 12 through Version 2000 I switched to Draftsight and have no regrets. One thing I noticed in your drawing was the use of fractions. I always tell people that fractions are for carpenters. Decimals are mechanical designs. My mills and lathes all require decimal input as they laugh when I try to dial a fractional move. Just my single track mentality. Glad to see you use a R&P setup. I really think that is the way to go if you can get it packaged and if you're starting with a fresh build that shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

George

I think it would be fine as well, but if you had any worries, it would be easy to cut a piece of quarter inch plate to go on the inside of the frame where it wouldn't be noticed. Just cut a piece about 8x4 with the 3" hole in the midle. You can't have too much insurance in my opinion.

I like the idea of just sistering the inside. I had thought od doing both sides, and rejected it on aesthetics grounds. Thanks!

Zandoz,

No need to use .187 wall tube. Good rule of thumb is to match the wall thickens of the rectangular tube you are sleeving. Personally I would probably use .065 or .083 wall sleeve. I see you are using Draftsight for your drawings. After running Auto Cad starting with Version 12 through Version 2000 I switched to Draftsight and have no regrets. One thing I noticed in your drawing was the use of fractions. I always tell people that fractions are for carpenters. Decimals are mechanical designs. My mills and lathes all require decimal input as they laugh when I try to dial a fractional move. Just my single track mentality. Glad to see you use a R&P setup. I really think that is the way to go if you can get it packaged and if you're starting with a fresh build that shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

George

I just switched to Draftsight a few months ago...when my old DOS version of Autosketch would not work on my new Windows 8 laptop. Like the fractions vs decimal issue, this old dog is slow to take to new tricks...LOL Now that I've switched to Draftsight, I'm glad I did.

I'm glad to encounter someone who is enthusiastic about going with an R&P set up. Most folks try to talk me out of it. For me it was a decision that made itself...many years of working on and driving MGs with R&P, met with already having a band new unit squirreled away in storage.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back