Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How can I reduce the coolant temperature?

For some reason, from the start, I got the impression that the fan was mounted in front of the radiator, pushing the air thru the radiator.
Steve, could you tell us exactly what the original radiator is (stye, material, size, manufacturer, etc. ?).
And exactly what you have now ?
It seems we have cured the problem without identifying what the problem is. The car ran @ 230*, idle round town, idle in driveway, @ freeway speeds, etc. So really, the fan (either mounted in front of or behind) was not a factor. Without a fan at all, it still would run hotter than what people here are comfortable. With the new setup, try disconnecting the fan and see how the temp behaves (idle, cruising, freeway, etc.).

John

P.S. Could you send us snap shots of your ride ? More the better.

For some reason, from the start, I got the impression that the fan was mounted in front of the radiator, pushing the air thru the radiator.
Steve, could you tell us exactly what the original radiator is (stye, material, size, manufacturer, etc. ?).
It seems we have cured the problem without identifying what the problem is. The car ran @ 230*, idle round town, idle in driveway, @ freeway speeds, etc. So really, the fan (either mounted in front of or behind) was not a factor. Without a fan at all, it still would run hotter than what people here are comfortable. With the new setup, try disconnecting the fan and see how the temp behaves (idle, cruising, freeway, etc.).

John

John
I purchased the radiator from RPM it's a NEW REPRODUCTION RADIATOR FOR ALL 1965-66 MUSTANGS WITH 289 CI ENGINES. 3 Core BRASS/COPPER CONSTRUCTION. DIMENSIONS - 16 3/8" X 17 1/4" INLET - PASSENGER SIDE - 1 1/2" OUTLET - PASSENGER SIDE - 1 3/4"
It came with a 14" pull fan which I mounted to the back-side of the radiator.
I now have an aluminum radiator with two 1" cores. Dimensions are virtually the same. The fan is also a pull type but 16" in diameter. The bottom hose outlet is on the driver side.

Drove the car without interruption for a little over an hour today and the temperature did not go beyond 185.

I too believe that the overheating was not caused by the fan being undersized. Nor do I believe this was a thermostat or timing issue. I'm leaning towards a malfunctioning water pump or blocked radiator, but I suppose there could also be other explanations... I will attempt to upload some pictures. I will also, may have to be tomorrow, disconnect the fan to see if the cooling system does what it aught to when in drive mode.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 39
  • FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 40
  • FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 39
  • radiator 2.jpg
    radiator 2.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 40
  • bucket 2.jpg
    bucket 2.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 39
If you haven't already , put a relay [30-40 amp] on a fused source to run your fan , a thermo-switch IMO is the best way to control it..
dave

If you haven't already , put a relay [30-40 amp] on a fused source to run your fan , a thermo-switch IMO is the best way to control it..
dave
I'll need to buy a control sensor. The fan is directly wired to a fused relay and running full time when the ignition is on.
Is there a specific sensor you would recommend I purchase?

Thanks

I bought mine 14 years ago from 'Southern Rods'...My rad. has an extra 1/4 '" bung in the bottom tank so that's where the sensor went..I'm really not up on what's out there now...
I'd reccomend an adjustable unit....you should be able to kill the fan at anything over 25 mph...
dave

Just looked at your pics , I think you'd be surprized at how much better that fan would cool w/a full shroud..
dave

John

I disconnected the fan today and the cooling temp was in the 180 range when cruising at 40mph. Temperature began rising at idle - with fan disconnected - but cooled down when driving.

I used a fan switch from Summit Racing in one of my cars and my bucket is wired direct for simplicity. I have also used a couple different fan controllers, they were expensive and I have mixed feeling whether they are worth it or not.

Something like this. You hook it to the ground wire on your relay and it will close when it gets to the specified temp. Clean and simple. If you have a real parts store with real parts people they can look up all the different kinds of Fan Switches out there but those are pretty hard to come by these days.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-890017/overview/

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back