Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How do you remove the inner race?

I cheated and took the easy route. Dropped them off on my way to work to an old mechanic friend who did it for me. :eek: I know, I know.....:eek:

As long as you can drive sooner it doesn't matter how it gets done.Also better to be done without damage to anything else.:ciao:

A weld bead shrinks when it cools, which is why running a little bead on a bearing cup pulls it in just enough to loosen her up. The heat helps crack the metal/metal bond too.This is a damn good trick and saves beating the tripes out of things. Also loosens up an inner race stuck on an axle.

When I need a soft hammer I just cast one from bullet metal. Made most of my bullets for over 55 yrs so I have the stuff to do it. Beat em to peices melt em down and do it over. .:D

If you gonna bash 'em out all you need is a piece of brass rod 3/4" x 6" as a drift. Putting the new one in a bit of wood between the hammer and the cup till she's flush and then use the old cup to hammer on and seat it all the way, or use the drift.
If you whale on something hard like a bearing cup with a hard steel hammer you can produce high velocity flakes of steel that home in on your eyes, so wear your safety glasses or goggs all the time!!!!!

Wild Mango said:
A weld bead shrinks when it cools, which is why running a little bead on a bearing cup pulls it in just enough to loosen her up. The heat helps crack the metal/metal bond too.This is a damn good trick and saves beating the tripes out of things. Also loosens up an inner race stuck on an axle.

If its in the housing and you got a MIG, just weld a couple of beads on the inside, it'll drop out......as wildmango said, if its a race on the axle.....disc grinder........groove it in about 3 or 4 places, grab a big chisel and hammer and pop it one time in one of the grooves.....should pop apart qiute easily.............REMEMBER>>>>>Safety Glasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back