Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How I scratch built a Modern T

Tbuilder

With being stuck at home and it being a bit too cold to drive around in an open car and since there are no major projects in the shop I figured I might just as well do a build thread on my latest Model T. Note that most of what I am posting is awhile after the fact.

Every one has a different idea on how their T should be built and this is mine. That is one of the nice things about the Model T, there are many different ways of building it.

The Model T was probably the right car at the right time in its day but driving one today with its 40 mph top speed and poor brakes, would make it fodder for the first transport truck that came up behind it.

I did not want a Hot Rod, there are enough of them around and I already had one quite a few years back. What I wanted was a car with the look and feel of a Model T but one that was safe to drive at Interstate speeds, hence the name Modern T.

This is not going to be a show car I want this do be driven like any daily driver, just hop in it and go. Also I am going to try to keep the cost down as much as is practical.

The first thing we need is a donor vehicle, after a few months of searching I found exactly what I was looking for, a 1994 Ford Ranger pickup with a 2.3L OHC 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed overdrive standard tranny and 7.5 Dana rear axle. The Model T came with a four cylinder engine and standard transmission so I could not brake with tradition, just using a more modern version. There is a reason I wanted the early 90’s model engine, but we will get into that a little later on.
D01.JPG D02.JPG D03.JPG

The owner of the pickup was well into a rebuild/restore when he got another job out of town and could not take the truck with him. It came with a bunch of new body parts, four almost new winter tires and aluminum rims and all new brakes. He started the engine up and it ran real nice.

I bought the truck, sold the all parts I did not need on Ebay, sold the tires and rims to a friend and sold what was left to the scrap yard. I ended up coming out money ahead on the deal.

I ordered the 1925 T kit with deluxe body and standard frame and front suspension from Speedway Motors. I knew I was not going use some of the parts in the kit but it was cheaper to buy the whole kit than all the individual parts. As it turned out I was able to send any of the parts I did not use back for a refund. I have found that the folks at Speedway are real nice to do business with.
D04.jpg

I had to order the fenders, running boards and splash pans separately, they came a few days later. I had to order the ones for the 1927 Model T as at that time there were not any available for the 25 T from Speedway and I was not going to go to the expense of buying metal ones. I tried fitting all the fiberglas parts on the frame to get an idea how it was all going to fit together and how it was going to look.

At this point I realized I had ordered the wrong rear fenders so I had to send them back and reorder the proper ones.
D05.jpg D06.jpg

With being stuck at home and it being a bit too cold to drive around in an open car and since there are no major projects in the shop I figured I might just as well do a build thread on my latest Model T. . . . I did not want a Hot Rod, there are enough of them around and I already had one quite a few years back. What I wanted was a car with the look and feel of a Model T but one that was safe to drive at Interstate speeds, hence the name Modern T.

Looking forward to the next episode. This should be fun!

I also want to see your project finished. Back in the 80's or 90's Ford authorized a kit car builder to build a model t replica. The replica had a Ford Pinto 2300 4 cylinder engine. I believe it could be purchased for $10,000.00 through a local Ford dealership. Anybody else remember this ? I thought it was a neat little ride back then. I would love to see another one done by an individual instead of a company. Go Tbuilder go !! Long live the tin lizzie !!

Back in the 80's or 90's Ford authorized a kit car builder to build a model t replica. The replica had a Ford Pinto 2300 4 cylinder engine. I believe it could be purchased for $10,000.00 through a local Ford dealership. Anybody else remember this ? I thought it was a neat little ride back then.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but you are right Donny Ray. This article talks bout the Model A replica, but I think he also built Model Ts. Check it out . . .
Shay Motors Corporation - Wikipedia

I cleaned up the rear axle and removed all the old spring brackets that were not needed. I also removed the diff cover and check the condition of the gears. No point in going to all the trouble of installing it just to find out the parts are worn. It looked perfect inside.
D07.JPG

First thing to do is to temporarily fit the engine, body and front and rear axles to the frame to get then into their proper locations before building the mounts and brackets.
D08.jpg D09.jpg D10.jpg

Good job, Spanky! I forgot all about the Shay! There must still be some of them around. I wonder where they are. When they came out I had no interest in them. Today I would like to have one.

I have a very good OLD friend here in Artesia that has a Shay and he wanted much more than it is worth back the last time I talked to him $20,000...….Now he is 90+ and still won't sell it.....I also sat in it a while back and I just don't fit...……..If I hear it is for sale I will post it here......

macsautoparts.com . Is a vast resource for reproduction model t parts. I purchased model tt repro door hinges from them.64-55840.jpg 64-55840.jpg This single hinge will take care of one door.

TT is model T truck. The T bucket body is a replica of the model T Truck roadster ( convertible ). WARNING : Mac's parts tend to be pricey.

TT is model T truck. The T bucket body is a replica of the model T Truck roadster ( convertible ). WARNING : Mac's parts tend to be pricey.
Sometimes you can buy the same parts on eBay for less and free shipping FROM THE SAME VENDOR. I have found this to be true from several vendors. Btw, I made hinges very similar to these out of Stanley swing clear door hinges and some flat stock for a fraction of the cost.

I welded the mounts for the radius rods, shocks, transverse spring and the panhard bar to the axle housing then bolted the spring and shackles in place.

At this point I figured I had better replace the axle bearings and seals as they were possibly damaged from the heat of welding. Past experience has told me that if one does not replace suspected parts they will bite you in the ass at a later date and at the most inopportune time.

The frame came with mounts for coil springs so I cut them off and made a new cross member to bolt the transverse spring to.

D13.JPG D14.jpg D15.jpg

I purchased a length of square tube the same size as the frame and extended the frame to hold the spring mount and provide support for the turtle deck.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back