Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I REALLY dont like wiring

RocknT

I have a IDIDIT tilt column with the GM wires and plug and it has me stumped so far,, I have googled just about every source for what go's where and does what,, I am sooo confused :confused:,, or just a IDIOT ,, making it harder than it is ,,
If some one has done one of these or could explain what the heck the wires do would be much appreciated ,,
Thanks

If you have an aftermarket harness it should or could have a GM plug that is connected to the fuse panel. If you do not have an aftermarket fuse box and harness I would suggest purchasing one. It will make life easier. Some things are worth doing yourself to save some money but some are not worth the time and stress. I have purchased a couple of different wiring kits and do not see much difference in any of them.

The wires in a GM column are as follows:
White-Stop light switch
Green- Right rear lamp
Yellow- Left rear lamp
Purple- Turn signal flasher
Brown- Flasher
Dark Blue- Right front lamp
Light blue- Left front lamp
Black- Horn
Orange- Ignition switch
Dark Green-Ground
Tan- Ground
Red- Battery 12 volt positive
Brown- Accessory fuse box
Pink- Ignition coil
Red- Battery fuse box
Purple (with double white stripe)- Start on solenoid

Jim

Thats what I needed Thanks Thanks !! I have the Haywire fuse box,,,, Just sitting here thinking,,, If I need to have front turn signals and clearance light in the same bulb what would be the magic connection ?
Ex Junk bailed me out on my last T wiring I still have his diagrams but it was for the after market turn signal that bolts on the column

Thats what I needed Thanks Thanks !! I have the Haywire fuse box,,,, Just sitting here thinking,,, If I need to have front turn signals and clearance light in the same bulb what would be the magic connection ?
Ex Junk bailed me out on my last T wiring I still have his diagrams but it was for the after market turn signal that bolts on the column

What I've listed as a lamp is the turn signal lamp. Your front parking lights and rear tail lights are powered through the light switch not the steering column.

Jim

OK I understand that ,,,but where or what I don't understand or see is how to have the turn and parking lamp as one in the same bulb on the front we did it on the last one but that had a clamp on turn signal switch would I run a wire from the headlight switch to the column to have both in front on one bulb ?
Thanks EX Junk

OK I understand that ,,,but where or what I don't understand or see is how to have the turn and parking lamp as one in the same bulb on the front we did it on the last one but that had a clamp on turn signal switch would I run a wire from the headlight switch to the column to have both in front on one bulb ?
Thanks EX Junk

You should use a socket for a double filament bulb. In the front the brighter filament is for the turn signal and the dimmer one is for the parking light. In the rear the brighter filament is for the turn signal and brake light while the dimmer filament is for the tail light. In the front, the turn signal will remain active as long as the turn signal arm is in the on position. However, in the rear the brake light on the side that the turn signal is activated will not come on as long as the turn signal is activated. That is why there is a brake light wire (the white one) in the column so that it is able to cancel the brake light on the side that has an active turn signal.

Jim

Ureeka !! thanks ExJunk,,just finished up wiring all my lights and everything is working ,including the dash lights ,not even a blown fuse LOL
Thanks again for the help

Good advice. One thing: You can use a single filament bulb if you want - but it means adding some relays and it can get quite complicated. I turn one headlight off and flash it when I'm turning - some new cars turn the headlight off when the turn signal is on so I don't think it's a problem.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back