Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

LED Tail Lights / Turn Signals / Brake Lights and 1 Switch

PaulR

I have a Painless Wiring kit # 10308 that I'm using to wire my bucket with. It has LED front turn signals ( 2 wire) and rear 38-39 FORD LED lights from Speedway (3 wire). I have a resistor for each of the LED lights so I should not need an electronic flasher. At least that is what I can gather from the web.
I want to use a simple on/off/on switch for my turn signals. I have read the instructions for the Painless kit and they seem to not cover anything other than using a standard turn signal on a column for a GM/Ford or Mopar. I don't want anything on the steering column except the steering wheel. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Please forgive any spelling errors as the 'way better half' and I celebrated Cinco De Mayo early.

PaulR

Hi Paul. Is this your tail light:1938-39 Ford Red LED Tail-Stop Lights
I think it is, and it is normally used with a standard column. Since the stop & turn signals are combined we have to get a little tricky, but I have a big bag of tricks. I'll go look at the Painless kit and get back soon.

Paul, where will your ignition switch be? Do you plan on low and high beam headlights? What column are you using? All the Painless kits seem to be made to plug into a standard GM, Ford or Mopar column, where the ignition switch and hi/lo switch are. Not impossible to work around, but will need to ignore much of their instructions.

Last edited:
I just ran a fused hot wire to the flasher, then to a 3 position toggle switch. Left-Off-Right Center pin on toggle is for hot from flasher. Outside pins are for left and right.

I just ran a fused hot wire to the flasher, then to a 3 position toggle switch. Left-Off-Right Center pin on toggle is for hot from flasher. Outside pins are for left and right.
That's what I do too, but it only works if you have unique turn lamps (not turn/brake combos). I think Paul has the combos and he has a wiring kit made to connect to an OEM-style wired column. So we have some mods to plan.

I didn't mention that I put in diodes to prevent feed back to brake light when turn lights are used. The only problem is, once the brake light is on, the turn will not flash. Not a big deal as I use the turn light long before I slow down to turn.. Also this does not affect front turn signals. One diode was used each brake wire just before the turn wire was joined, and one in the brake wire cross over wire. I can draw this out if anyone wants.

Last edited:
Please dis-regard this sentence in my post. One diode was used each brake wire just before the turn wire was joined, and one in the brake wire cross over wire It is wrong, wrong, wrong. I just drew it out and only 2 diodes were used.
Bagman, are you using the same bulb/LED for brake and turn? If so, how does the turn not feed back in the brake wire? Not questioning if it works, just wondering how.

Last edited:
Paul, where will your ignition switch be? Do you plan on low and high beam headlights? What column are you using? All the Painless kits seem to be made to plug into a standard GM, Ford or Mopar column, where the ignition switch and hi/lo switch are. Not impossible to work around, but will need to ignore much of their instructions.

PotvinGuy,

The ignition switch is a universal one, down under the front of the seats. The head lights are on a PainLess (# 80154) switch that is an off/parking/low beam/high beam type. The steering column is from Speedway, no wiring on it. All switches are under the front part of the seat.

Thanks,
PaulR

Please dis-regard this sentence in my post. One diode was used each brake wire just before the turn wire was joined, and one in the brake wire cross over wire It is wrong, wrong, wrong. I just drew it out and only 2 diodes were used.
Bagman, are you using the same bulb/LED for brake and turn? If so, how does the turn not feed back in the brake wire? Not questioning if it works, just wondering how.

Yes same bulb.

Bagman, I found the wiring diagram for the switch that you used. Looking a the diagram, I understand how it works. I will order one of those.
Thanks for the tip.

I had to use diodes on my rear lights as the rear and brake lights are the same LEDs. I knew nothing about LEDs, diodes or wiring but google is a good friend. I also used flasher units for LEDs, one on each side. They are adjustable from fractions of a second to 5.

I think I'll give that switch a try as well. I think it might work

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

PaulR

Hey everyone,

I finally got to test my t bucket (see if it would move under it's own power) and surprisingly all of the electrics worked.
The switch show below works like a champ.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/aw...cGD_3fWSFzdAAwKORlHygVvS6ziFTACiOfxoCGurw_wcB

No additional diodes, the LED rear lights/brake lights and turn signals all work like the should.
The wiring diagram is super simple to follow.

I just wanted to give some positive feed back. Now the running on after the key was switched off and removed was a little interesting. That was my own fault for cutting out the diode in the alt. wiring. DOH!

Thanks to all who answered.

PaulR

Good to hear, Paul!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back