Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Iso-Free Clear Coat

Is there such a thing as Iso-Free Clear Coat for auto paint? I plan to paint my t bucket next spring with Auto-Air Colors paint, but it has to clear- coated. Is there any company out there that sells clear coat like this and which is safe to spray in a home-made paint booth?

Thanks, T-Bucket Bob

I'm not sure about the ISO free stuff but DuPont does have it. I paint in my 2 car garage all the time including using clears. I use Sherwin-Williams stuff. My neighbor is a house painter and he gets me boxes of the roll plastic sheet. I roll it out and then staple one edge all around ceiling so it hangs to floor. Then open 1 garage door high enough to put 2 of those square window fans under door and have a long throw rug that I staple to the door to seal it off beside the fans. I use furnace filters on suction side of fans. On outside top of door I use the blue filter roll that I staple for incoming air. Looks weird but works great.

kcfatdawg said:
... boxes of the roll plastic sheet. I roll it out and then staple one edge all around ceiling so it hangs to floor. Then open 1 garage door high enough to put 2 of those square window fans under door and have a long throw rug that I staple to the door to seal it off beside the fans. I use furnace filters on suction side of fans. On outside top of door I use the blue filter roll that I staple for incoming air. Looks weird but works great.

Couldn't say it any better! AKA Ghetto paint booth!

I used Auto Air Colors to paint my T- never again! Keep your heat gun handy- you need to spray multiple VERY LIGHT coats,using the heat gun between each coat. We're talking 10-12 coats! Each like a tack coat. I used their black base with a top of iridesicent purple. I then used a typical iso-clear from Eastwood. It came out OK but next time it's basecoat/clearcoat for me!

hotrodman said:
I used Auto Air Colors to paint my T- never again! Keep your heat gun handy- you need to spray multiple VERY LIGHT coats,using the heat gun between each coat. We're talking 10-12 coats! Each like a tack coat. I used their black base with a top of iridesicent purple. I then used a typical iso-clear from Eastwood. It came out OK but next time it's basecoat/clearcoat for me!
Just goes to show you that the best way is not always the cheapest way.You get what you pay for as you well know by now.I know the wife got an ear full for a while.Good Luck on the next job.We used PPG Paints on mine.

There ARE non ISO Clears; however most of the available ones in the US are too soft for a driven car. Dupont makes one in the UK but we're having trouble getting it. not to cross the beams, but if youre interested in Non ISO or ISO free, check out autobody101.com. There are a few guys over there (one in particular goes by Night Train) that are doing experiments; and to rehash their information would be a dis-service. The short of it is that just because something is Non ISO or ISO Free///doesnt mean its NOT hazzardous. Just like low VOCs...just because Acetone isnt on the VOC list, doesnt mean its healthy.

My reccomendation, if youre going to use AAC, Id definitely hit that board up. It seems that AAC is better suited for small graphic applications...instead of an all over. I used Napa base with their 15420 clear. Ive used their high end TEC-Base and 2 wet coats is all you need at 40bucks a pint I think. And Ive used their Crossfire as well...which takes 3 coats and costs about half as much but is very finicky about contaminants (I never had so many fingerprints to sand out before). Their 15420 air dry clear is awesome though at 90 bucks a gallon.

Right now we just arent ready for ISO Free clears. the durability and adhesion is still suspect. PPG makes an environmentally friendly paint line, but you have to have a lot of training to mix it properly apparently and its not widely available

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back