Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My first T-Bucket part!

Ttownbucket

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Well, I bought my first T-Bucket part today!
photo5_zps68949ea0.jpg

It's an 8.8 out of an explorer. 4.10 limited slip with disc brakes. I wasn't planning on starting to collect parts yet, but I went with my buddy to look at some heads for a motor he is building and the guy had this diff as well. I ended up getting it for $150. I plan to cut the long tube down and swap the axle with a short side stock axle. May as well change the seals and bearings while I'm in there. If anyone has more advice as to something I should or shouldn't do or the best way to shorten the axle, I'm all ears. Yeah, yeah, I need to clean out my garage I know.

Do you have the alignment jig to align all the parts back, so it is straight when you weld it? It is not just a matter of cutting it off and cutting a section out then weld it all back together.
P1010008-4.jpg

P1010005-7.jpg

P1010001-12.jpg

Nice find. Being at the right place at the right time is a big part of this hobby...

Are you kidding? I can't get far enough into mine to take a picture. Congrats on the find!

I am an "anti-clutter" freak. With a bunch of stuff laying about it makes the job not only harder but unsafe also. My garage has seen lots of work done in it and it is ALWAYS neat and clean.

Call me a "neatnick" or whatever but I refuse to be messy!

Jim

P.S. I'm sorry if I've stepped on some toes but I see absolutely no excuse to be sloppy.

My first part was an automatic tranny that I bought for $25. Needed a rebuild so bought a kit for that. Shop book was $30. Rebuilt a tranny for the first time from reading the book and it works.

I think I see some dirt in the tire treads!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ron, I don't have an alignment tool. I thought I would cut the flange as close to the end of the tube as I could and use the new axle to align everything. Just tack it up at first and make sure it spins freely before welding it out. If this isn't a good method I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Jim, I do plan to clean my garage before any work begins. I'm a painting contractor and of course the summer is our busy time, so a lot of stuff kind of just lands in the garage. It is truly embarrsassing at this point, and don't worry about stepping on my toes.

Why not just use another "short side" tube along with the short side axle?

Jim must have a lot of get-together's with his buddies at his house as I spy (4)! folding tables. How come we've never been invited? :laugh:

Jim must have a lot of get-together's with his buddies at his house as I spy (4)! folding tables. How come we've never been invited? :laugh:

VERY observant, Ben. We used to host a street rod picnic every year for several years but quit doing that. The tables are now loaned to neighbors that are having garage/yard sales.

Jim

Why not just use another "short side" tube along with the short side axle?
I thought about that, but I've heard that they are extremely difficult to remove and even harder to reinstall. I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but I've read some horror stories on some other forums. If any one has a trick for doing this I would love to hear it.

Well, Ron, I and a few others will tell you its best to use a lineup jig, its the only absolute way to keep things perfectly straight. BUT, there is a way you can do this, but its gotta be done carefully, precisely, and not 1/2 assed, or your car will suffer bad tracking, pulling, rear tire wear.

The axle tube is pressed into the housing, and has a big spot weld right beside the rear end cover, look and you will see it. You can drill that out, and the axle tube just slides in.

Now the way I will tell you about, you can cut the tube and remove a section, but you have to enlist the help of a certified welder. You can cut the tube with a die grinder with a 3" disc or a 4 1/2 angle grinder w/slotting disc.
You can use a welders wrap-around to draw a line, then cut it. Now, you make another line for however much you want to remove out of said tube.
Now, deburr the two pieces of tubing, I use a special pipe welding lineup jig to hold it straight with the axle tube coming from the diff. housing, then I TIG weld it. its nice, strong and straight. BUT, you can use a couple of big pieces of straight angle iron, C-clamping it across the flats of the angle. The welding has to be done carefully and correctly, and I do not suggest anyone other than a seasoned professional do this. I've done it a couple of times, but I have all the tools at my disposal for doing these type of things.
A welding/machine shop should handle the cutting/alignment/welding for you for a minimum of funds.
The Easiest way is to rent or borrow a alignment bar, cit off the end flange and weld on a new one.

Like I said, I've done it, but I have the alignment fixtures, welders, machinists squares, indicators, and alot of experience. It can be done, but only by a good mechanically inclined individual, with good metal working skills.
Search online, theres alot of info....and be careful and do it right....

I thought about that, but I've heard that they are extremely difficult to remove and even harder to reinstall. I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but I've read some horror stories on some other forums. If any one has a trick for doing this I would love to hear it.

Though no personal experience doing this, but when I was researching using an Explorer axle I ran across a lot tube swapping recommendations from folks who had done it. I was considering swapping the other way...so I'd have 2 long tubes. I ended up taking the easy out and got a T-bird 8.8 unit that was already wide...and cheap.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back