Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My ProjecTee

My 2 initial cuts were wrong. But , I think I managed to add to the mistake & bail it out. I am now re-inspired & my creative juices are flowing once more. I stared at the big mistake for a long time..... then a light turned on in my head. I think the operative word would be , " EURICA ".

I find myself having one of those "DOHHH" moments more and more often as the years add up . . .

Always nice when you can manage to recover before too many notice.

I separated the finished fiber glass from the buck ( dashboard ). I now have 5 pieces to put back together. No big deal. That's why there are no photos of the dashboard. Who wants to look at a pile of pieces ??

dashboard buck..JPG This is what's left of my buck after removing the fiberglass shell. Very nasty looking. I have scrubbed the pieces with dishwashing liquid to remove any Vaseline residue. I'll have to sand the pieces to remove any remains of the m.d.f & the enamel paint. I plan to use latex paint on my rear spoiler buck. Hope this helps ausbucket.

Thanks DR,
Alway educational to see the different ways people achieve the finished product. Any time we've done a buck like that (long time ago) we sprayed it with two pac enamel and then waxed the crap out of it. I seem to remember we used mould release as well as we were doing multiple parts out of the mould..
Keep up the good work.
Regards,

The only time I've used vaseline is when my kids were young. I'd put it on the bedroom door knob to keep the kids out.

PVA Release Agent, all we ever used when I was mixed up with fibre glass. Brush or spray on, let it dry, (15 mins) and paint the gel coat straight over the top.

Me too. Wax, wax, wax and wax again, then a coat of PVA and go to go.Sometimes even after all that it sticks...

I purchased some p.v.a today from Tap Plastics. I now have 4 of the 5 pieces ( dashboard ) reassembled. I have the final top piece to attach tomorrow. I also did some more work on the rear spoiler. I probably need to take some more photos.

DSCN0629.JPG DSCN0630.JPG DSCN0631.JPG DSCN0632.JPG DSCN0633.JPG I took more photos but I think I didn't have enough space on my memory card. So , I deleted everything on the memory card. I'll take some more photos tomorrow. I promise !

After viewing these photos , I can see some changes I need to make. So , I will make changes tomorrow.

You are doing some great work DonnyRay ! Really enjoy watching your progress.

Thanks a lot indycars. Here's some more photos from today's work.DSCN0634.JPG DSCN0637.JPG DSCN0639.JPG DSCN0640.JPG DSCN0641.JPG I saved all my templates for the dashboard. I'll cut out some 3/4 oz glass mat and lay it up on the backside of the dashboard. The dash desperately needs strengthening.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back