Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Names for different T looks?

Bugflipper

Hello guys, sorry didn't know exactly where to put this but body fits it best in my mind.
So anyway I have one I'm going to start when it warms up. I want to make one where there's no high bench seat. Where you are as low as possible on the floor. Bucket on top of the frame, high boy style. And the steering wheel no up in a horizontal fashion like a boat wheel. I would assume that would be a low T but on the internet low T means some kind of medical condition so it's not helping to try and search for similar ones to try to find pics for ideas. I was hoping you guys could offer up the real names for different styles and maybe even pics to help me and other folks decide what direction we are going.

Personally I wanted to go with a low street rod look, just don't know if low t is the right name. Who knows some other style may look much better to me if I knew about it.
Many thanks.

I'm curious as well. I'll be watching for replies to your question. Good post.

Bucket T, T Bucket, Track T, Track Roadster. I think probably the later two would give you some search criteria maybe in the images part of a search engine. Try searching for "Track T Roadster".

You Have Channeled, (Body sits lower to the frame), low ride (Suspension is lowered and/or frame is Z'ed) , Low rider (which the body and frame pratically sit on the suspension until the air-ride system is aired up on startup) and several other names, classic oldschool (vert. steering wheel, floor up in the body....feels like your gonna fall out going around a corner), RatRod....(mostly primer or flat paint, little chrome, alot of handmade parts but still safe), lake type highboys, gasser T's....(straight axle, high in the front, tank out in front of the radiator)....Pro street, yada, yada, yada....on and on.
You say tomato, I say tomatoooo kinda thing. It all depends on where your at in the country also....

I believe what you looking for is channeled and lowered. Just build it the way you want it, don't worry about the name....its a damn hotrod, <THE CLASSIC HOTROD>.

I believe it was Shakespeare that said, "what's in a name."

Jim

I've found amazing versions of T's by doing a simple web image searches, like "Model T hot rod" or the like.
Mine would be a "track T" if it had a track nose...but it also has "Lakes Modified" influences along with some left over "T Bucket" from its previous incarnation!
I'm working towards " Track-Mod Bucket"...(...it's the next big thing...trust me!) :thumbsup::D

Bugflipper, why do you want the body to sit on the frame? You said you want a low street rod look; that's tough to do with the body sitting on the frame (Speedcraft does it, but with a double Z'd frame; see if you like the look). And do you want the steering column to be horizontal or vertical or somewhere in between? I might have some pics to help if I get a good idea what you are going for.

Yes sir I want the steering column somewhat horizontal like a traditional driving position. I did a mock up with a dowel rod and pie pan to get the measurements and got a column and drop bracket to get it very close. May have to weld in a little piece to get it dialed in just right. Haven't been able to work on it over the winter. The PO has a junky old 70s Chevy column in it that is at about a 75 degree angle. It binds. The one I got should give it more of a straight shot to the steering box with he drop. Likely going to have to raise the steering box anyhow as it could create issues being so low.

The reason for the high boy setup is for the low driving position. I dropped the floor to almost the bottom of the frame to get the seating position a little lower. It's going to be satin black for the body and frame so it should blend well enough. Actually it has a white body and flat black frame now and doesn't look bad even like that. So I think I'll be safe. The ride height is reasonably low with the normal hot rod rake, has a drop axle up front. Can't go too low because of all of the potholes in the area.
Thanks for the help guys.

So I guess the best description is a track t style seating position. Just a simple street rod like my 34 pictured in the avatar. Probably will have a model A grill shell since the radiator is to wide for a 32 or 34 style. 20" or so bed, no chrome to speak of. Just a simplistic hot rod style. I already have 325/50-15 rears and 215/60-15 fronts on weld wheels, so not so much of the old style look of the 34. More of a modern stripped down style.
Thanks

Definitely look at Detroit speed craft, thats about as low as you can go and the steering wheel is also more horizontal. That's the look I'm liking. They have lots of videos to look at. nehrspeedcraft.com

We have built several low T Buckets. Some things to consider when building. The lower the car, the higher the engine has to be in the frame. We built the frames on our jig, but the engines, and transmissions were installed so that the oil pans were 1" higher than the bottom of the frame. Then you build mounts to fit all of this, not a big deal. The real problem comes from the eng and trans setting so high in the frame that you lose a LOT of interior room, and foot space. Some of this can be gained back by using a stretch body. You will also end up with some of the master cylinder up through the floor, so as not to rip it off on a speed bump (not good). You will also have to use a reversed Corvair type steering box, on top of the frame.

If I can help you, even with just thoughts give me a call.

Take RPM's advice and give Ron a call. I'm using his stretch body since I'm going real low as well. 5" in the front and 7" at the back. (Ground to bottom of frame. If it were not for his stretch body it would be very tight quarters. My transmission is virtually in the car, but still have PLENTY of room. The cowl 10" longer than stock so it puts your feet behind the bell housing. Even channelled over the frame, the bottom of my seat will only be about 12" off the ground, sitting IN it instead of on it. The pic is of the speedway tribute car which is about the stance I'm looking for except mine is a little lower. It had the corvair box so you get a nice profile with the column. Ron can hook you up with all of that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 35
I would think a Modified T is more what you are looking for. Just picture them without a hood. Mine is being built pretty low. I did a search for a modified t and got a lot of good ideas. Also, someone mentioned it before but definitely look at Detroit Speedcraft's website. They used to be called NEHR Speedcraft. They recently changed it. detroitspeedcraft.com. I got a lot of ideas from them.

Take RPM's advice and give Ron a call. I'm using his stretch body since I'm going real low as well. 5" in the front and 7" at the back. (Ground to bottom of frame. If it were not for his stretch body it would be very tight quarters. My transmission is virtually in the car, but still have PLENTY of room. The cowl 10" longer than stock so it puts your feet behind the bell housing. Even channelled over the frame, the bottom of my seat will only be about 12" off the ground, sitting IN it instead of on it. The pic is of the speedway tribute car which is about the stance I'm looking for except mine is a little lower. It had the corvair box so you get a nice profile with the column. Ron can hook you up with all of that.
Ron sells reversed corvair boxes at a very good price. I just bought one from him. Great service too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back