Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Guy From Rochester NY

mprokop

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join! I am from the Rochester area and am a software/electrical engineer by day. I have been toying with the idea of building my own T-bucket for a few years (like most people on here probably have at some point) and now I am getting into the part and plan gathering stage. Recently a buddy of mine stopped by in a client's car and we went for a 'hell ride' as he would put it. Did 0-100ish and a few burnouts... to test the drivetrain :) . Well that fueled my bug and since I finally have a garage and some funds I figured it's time.

I have found Youngster's plans online, which I will most likely use as a guide for the frame, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look for more information (plans, tips, parts, etc...)? I would like to build one with a big block Chevy (pros? cons?) and maybe even a 4 seater if I can find good info for it. Other than that I am open for suggestions and I am looking forward to the project!

Welcome from Ocala, Florida. You will find plenty of help and suggestions on the forum, just enjoy and have fun. Check out the suppliers and manufacturers on the fourm.

Last edited:
The forum sponsors here are a great source of parts and info.

My first thought when in the planning stages was how I was going to get it registered after it was done. This can be a complete nightmare if not planned properly. Spirit offers a service to get an Arkansas title with their kit which streamlines the whole process dramatically. Otherwise, you need to keep all receipts for everything you buy and make sure it's all legit, because you will have to get the car inspected by the state after it's completed. They go over it very carefully and if you are missing paperwork or proof of purchase for some components, they are subject to confiscation. Believe it, it happens. I've seen it. I spoke to the state before I started and they said any frame you buy needs to at least have an MSO, so keep that in mind. I believe most manufacturers offer that. I'm not sure about building your own frame. But the sponsors here offer very high quality frames at bargain prices, so I don't believe building a frame would be the way to go...unless of course you really enjoy doing that. In that case, have at it!

I'm not trying to scare you, just making a point that you need to prepare. It can be a fun project as long as you plan ahead.

A BBC is total overkill for a bucket, but the cool factor is undeniable. I'd go for it! lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I've been contemplating building the frame myself, still unsure of it. As far as the inspections go, I am used to those because I have been helping my father rebuild wrecks since I was a little kid. They are definitely strict on that stuff!

The only reason I would put a BBC in a bucket is for the cool factor. Otherwise a good ole 350 it is. The original plan was to put in a 350 but my neighbor challenged me to put in the big block and I happily accepted. Another project of mine is a 1976 Argosy which has a 454 and th400 (I think) in it. I want to replace the th400 with a 4l80 for the overdrive and possibly upgrade the engine at the same time. After that project, hopefully this winter, I will have a spare 454 and tranny kicking around. It only has 25k miles on it too.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back