Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New welder

What is your polishing set-up?

Those aren't mine. I did order some to try them out. They're short double ended and pre-ground from Midwest Tungsten Service.

If I try it myself I'll look for a another diamond wheel in the 3000-4000 grit range. That should do it.

Those aren't mine. I did order some to try them out. They're short double ended and pre-ground from Midwest Tungsten Service.

If I try it myself I'll look for a another diamond wheel in the 3000-4000 grit range. That should do it.
I think trying the pre polished ones first is wise. Setting up another grinder or even buying a finer wheel is not exactly cheap. Try em, if there is a noticeable difference for the better, then make the investment.

And report findings! As often as I need to sharpen the wheel makes sense to me. I saw one guy that used thin disks lined up together. He used 3 different grits. One side for steel and one side for aluminum. Wish I could find it again!

And report findings!

They have really nice grinds on them, but they're crazy short. I'll save them for tight spots with a stubby gas lense and a short back cap.

shortys.jpeg

And report findings! As often as I need to sharpen the wheel makes sense to me. I saw one guy that used thin disks lined up together. He used 3 different grits. One side for steel and one side for aluminum. Wish I could find it again!

I think this might be what you are looking for. I have the EAA Magazine this was published in, Ran across this video a little later.

Diamond Tungsten Grinder

If anyone has a link for a set of diamond wheels like he's got setup there, I'd be grateful.

That's a really sweet setup . . . .

So when you use the outside 1" of the diamond wheels, what do you do with the inner 2+"?

So when you use the outside 1" of the diamond wheels, what do you do with the inner 2+"?

Exactly. And it's still a semi-circular grind unless the disc is huge. IMHO it's best to grind in-line with the outer face of the wheel. Then the diameter of the wheel doesn't matter as much. 4" 6"or 8".
grind.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back