Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

pics from my build

Ordered this seat and cover from Summit Racing. Trying to lock down the steering wheel and seat positions.
ofajpe.jpg
[/IMG]
ofajpe.jpg

2cz3j9l.jpg
[/IMG]
2cz3j9l.jpg

SM

thats going to be a great looking car love the straight 6 and tractor grill shell for sure the color choice for the frame is cool to what color is it

Hello Lake Modified! I'm about 185 miles north of you in Titusville. If you look at my avatar you can see I like the old dirt track style cars, too. My roadster is done in the style of the track roadsters of the late '40s and early '50s. It has a full tubular frame, roll bar with side bars built into the body, twin Kirkey aluminum racing seats, and dual 5-point racing harnesses. The engine is a 4-banger from a Chevy S-10 pickup with a 5-speed manual trans. The whole car weighs 1630 pounds. It's a blast to drive, so yours should be, too. That 300 - six is a torque monster. It would be fun if we could actually get on a dirt track together somewhere, but that's unlikely.

When I started building mine I got the book "Roaring Roadsters" by Don Radbruch. It is a pictorial history of the track roadsters all over the country and a good resource. The main difference between a track roadster and a lakes modified is the location of the fuel tank. Most tracks and sanctioning organizations required the car have a hood and the fuel tank be located inside the body, so track roadsters almost all had at least a hood top and they ran turtle decks (trunks) or shortened and enclosed pickup beds with the tank inside. Lakes modifieds mostly had open rear areas with the tank sitting on the rear of the frame and a hood was optional.

Looking good so far; keep it up. Maybe we'll meet at a cruise-in someday.

Hello Lake Modified! I'm about 185 miles north of you in Titusville. If you look at my avatar you can see I like the old dirt track style cars, too. My roadster is done in the style of the track roadsters of the late '40s and early '50s. It has a full tubular frame, roll bar with side bars built into the body, twin Kirkey aluminum racing seats, and dual 5-point racing harnesses. The engine is a 4-banger from a Chevy S-10 pickup with a 5-speed manual trans. The whole car weighs 1630 pounds. It's a blast to drive, so yours should be, too. That 300 - six is a torque monster. It would be fun if we could actually get on a dirt track together somewhere, but that's unlikely.

When I started building mine I got the book "Roaring Roadsters" by Don Radbruch. It is a pictorial history of the track roadsters all over the country and a good resource. The main difference between a track roadster and a lakes modified is the location of the fuel tank. Most tracks and sanctioning organizations required the car have a hood and the fuel tank be located inside the body, so track roadsters almost all had at least a hood top and they ran turtle decks (trunks) or shortened and enclosed pickup beds with the tank inside. Lakes modifieds mostly had open rear areas with the tank sitting on the rear of the frame and a hood was optional.

Looking good so far; keep it up. Maybe we'll meet at a cruise-in someday.

Thanks for the post.... I have the book, Roaring Roadsters and you're right, a great resource. I look forward to meet up with ya one day....

SM

A few little updates....
added lower shock mount
Cut the firewall out... adding a 1/4" aluminum firewall
The Kirkey seat came in

34hc5dx.jpg
[/IMG]
34hc5dx.jpg

24q6amt.jpg
[/IMG]
24q6amt.jpg

34hc5dx.jpg
[/IMG]
34hc5dx.jpg

nytfeh.jpg
[/IMG]
nytfeh.jpg

Pics of the chopper would be nice to see.

Pics of the chopper would be nice to see.

Ask and you shall receive.... I built this 10 years ago. still ride it every weekend I am home.
Ultima rigid frame raked to 40º
Paughco 15 over springer
King Sportster gas tank
Original aluminum Moon oil tank
S&S 93" Panhead Kick only
Harley 4-speed ratchet top set up for jockey/suicide
Rivera S.U. carb.
original Cobra seat

fjq9lz.jpg
[/IMG]
fjq9lz.jpg

3166w6q.jpg
[/IMG]
3166w6q.jpg

2jfdmz7.jpg
[/IMG]
2jfdmz7.jpg

Very cool. Noisy little critter,I'll bet.

Always thought these are the 2 wheeled version of T or deuce roadster.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I appreciate it
G

Nice looking mounts! I don't think that you will need gussets, just fab a cap/boxing plate on the outside of the mount. you will still have access to the cussion bolt from the underside.Just a idea? One other thing at this stage of the game you might want to just tack weld everything untill all mock up is complete and your sure everything is going to work and play well together. This makes moving things less of a pain in the a@#. I learned the hard way!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back