Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Questions from a newbie

bilwil

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Good afternoon,

I am interested in building a 23t but am very new to this. I have a kit car (Factory Five Cobra) but it was assembled by a builder for me. I now have a fabrication shop (Benders, notchers, welders, etc) and a fabricator who works for me (building parts for my off road race truck).

We just had a discussion about building a 23T and the topic of frames came up. It seems like the cost of the frames from the established builders is quite low. Is it really worth the time and effort to build a frame ourselves? Are there design benefits we could incorporate that are not included in the frames we can order? It seems like buying a body and frame together insures no headaches but we want to look at all the possibilities. You guys have the experience here so we turn to you for input.

Please let us know.

Thanks!!

Bill

I too had the capability to build my own frame. When I looked at what it would cost me in material and time versus buying one it was more cost effective to buy one. I bought one with all the suspension brackets and steering box mount for $550. Since I wasn't building anything exotic this was a no-brainer for me. I am still in the building process but I am very happy with the frame I bought from RPM. I also bought his 10 inch stretched body and I am happy with that as well.

Thanks for the reply smokeyco. I just need to look into shipping costs as well for the frame.

I lucked out with Ron at RPM. He was heading in my direction on vacation and offered to bring it with him. Saved me some cash on shipping for sure!

I will call them to get a quote on shipping. I am sure it will be a scary number . . .

For the price it doesn't pay to build one. But if you enjoy that type of work, by all means have at it. But keep in mind that most manufacturers offer an MSO which is needed in most cases for titling purposes.

I will call them to get a quote on shipping. I am sure it will be a scary number . . .
I bought mine prebuilt, but I wouldn't try to build one unless it was going to be for something specific that a shop built frame didn't offer. The guys who make them have jigs, and experience, and it is hard to compete with their expertise. Just communicate with them so they know what you want, and you will save some aggravation with trying to layout and build. Jmo.

RPM - I am in a meeting right now but my shipping zip code is 89118

Thanks!

Bill

Shipping a frame to your business at 89118 is $140.00

Cheaper than going to pick it up!! Cobra in the barn--you ask about s/h?? I'll pay s/h for the Cobra and pick it up!!!

Thanks guys! The Cobra is a blast to drive. Everyone loves it from young kids to older people. It is the one car that transcends all ages and egos :)

Shipping a frame to your business at 89118 is $140.00

Thanks for the quote! That is cheaper than I had expected. I will figure out what we are doing for a body (regular or extended) and then call you for an order.

Thanks!!

Bill

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back