Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radiator protection

fordsbyjay

What are you using to protect your radiator from bugs and road debris? I am using a Walker radiator and it has no shell to facilitate a grill. I searched and the posts I found show either use a shell or the roadster style grill. I thought about some screen but that would look like chit probably. Maybe some type of oval mesh or something. I even googled it and didn't see any pictures.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Btw, I meant to title the thread radiator protection not grill protection but I can't edit it now.

fnjunebugs.jpg

How long did it take to accumulate all those bugs?

As to your radiator, I would just be careful about restricting the air flow.

How long did it take to accumulate all those bugs?

As to your radiator, I would just be careful about restricting the air flow.

That was one night coming back from a cruise in. The wife thought we could take a short cut through cane country to save time. We had June bugs everywhere. lol.

Blocking flow was one of my concerns with the perforated metal mesh.

hahahahahahahahawha
It won't keeps the bugs off but as soon as he comes out of the speed coma, he'll clean up.

McMaster Carr and a few other places have stainless "screen" with multiple open patterns. You might be able to make a protector that looks good and doesn't block too much air. But it won't completely block bugs as much as it will cover up. Looks like a challenge to make something that doesn't look like an anteater but still does the job.

See how I tied that all together? :whistling:

Jay You might check with Wardlow Masks. They make bras and radiator shields for a lot of cars, including streetrods.

http://www.wardlowbras.net/

I'm using one of their masks on my 32 grill. They even have them for cut down radiators. It removes and goes on easy. It's almost a must have on a 32, since you practically have to disassemble the grill shell to clean the radiator. I don't know if they make one for a T, but they might.

Mike

Holy crap, did you drive through a swarm of locusts? What the heck did you hit?

(stainless steel mesh works well)

June bugs. They come out in the summer time and are pretty heavy in sugar cane fields. Not good roads to be driving down on summer nights. hahahahaha

Jay You might check with Wardlow Masks. They make bras and radiator shields for a lot of cars, including streetrods.

http://www.wardlowbras.net/

I'm using one of their masks on my 32 grill. They even have them for cut down radiators. It removes and goes on easy. It's almost a must have on a 32, since you practically have to disassemble the grill shell to clean the radiator. I don't know if they make one for a T, but they might.

Mike

Thanks for the link. I will check them out.

June bugs. They come out in the summer time and are pretty heavy in sugar cane fields. Not good roads to be driving down on summer nights. hahahahaha

Yep, they're a real drawback to having a short windshield. Feels like a getting hit with a small rock! Caught one square in the forehead once. Hurt like hell.

Mike

They were spattered in our hair and face as well as debris all inside the car. The wife is a foot shorter than I am so she sits behind the windshield where as I am above.

Well, they have screens to help keep bugs off the radiators...but, regular metal screenwire hampers airflow. You could use hardware cloth, but thats more restrictive than screenwire.
What we do in the racing business and looks good and protects, is use expanded metal. You can get this in really small openings, usually the really small stuff can be ordered if they don't have any in stock. They even have it in alum. and SS....you can get it painted, powdercoated, or plated.
Usually they have some at Tractor Supply, Fastenal, Lowes in their metal bins. Theres also perforated metal sheets, though that is as restrictive as screening.
The main thing is for the radiator not to catch all the Flack....anythings is better than nothing....especially if you run a aluminum radiator. All the copper ones are going by the wayside, hell, they're making production cars and trucks with plastic radiators. Catch a big bug at 75 with one of those.....'POP'......Ahve a couple of guys in my shop bitched about those....
Heres some info....
http://www.brown-campbell.com/pg72-79.pdf

3/16's is pretty damn small, and will allow great airflow with little resistance. That and 1/4" looks good also. When mounting in front of your radiator, have someone with a brakepress X the front of it to keep the stuff at highway speeds from pushing into your radiator.
You can have this done at any sheetmetal shop or good machine shop. It actually makes it stronger....

Also, standard expanded metal will resist pushing in better than the flat expanded metal.
Also look into SS basket wire.....thats good size and is really sturdy, won't rust either....

Airflow does funny things. Midget radiators we mount in front of car at 90deg to the vertical. No dirt plugging and she cools just fine. Summer roads here are thick with bugs at night. Big buggers like 4" Grasshoppers and Dragonflies. Smacko !!. I have a piece of 3/8" lexan mounts about 6" ahead of the radiator, its a solid sheet, stops everything, but the air must curl round or something because she cools just fine too.

Airflow does funny things. Midget radiators we mount in front of car at 90deg to the vertical. No dirt plugging and she cools just fine. Summer roads here are thick with bugs at night. Big buggers like 4" Grasshoppers and Dragonflies. Smacko !!. I have a piece of 3/8" lexan mounts about 6" ahead of the radiator, its a solid sheet, stops everything, but the air must curl round or something because she cools just fine too.
What he said! I didn't mention that because a lot of people don't like its looks....but I think it looks killer. That 'Buckshot' plays hell with the radiators....Or a solid piece, you can always paint a design on them. People will wonder how you cool your car.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back