Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Stainless wire mesh grille material

kookie2007

Does anyone have a good source for stainless steel woven wire mesh that is either polished or chromed? I would like to have something with 1/4" - 3/8" openings. I would like to make a grille out of wire mesh set on the diagonal in the radiator shell to protect the radiator core and dress it up a little. I've googled until my patience ran out. Everything I find comes in sheets that are not wide enough to make a one piece grille, or it's located overseas. Any suggestions? Thank in advance

On the McMaster site they give you an opening percent. I was told to stay above 80 percent. Some are as low as 50 percent meaning now only half the air makes it on through the radiator. I haven't ordered mine yet.

I saw some chrome plated SS wire mesh grille material on ebay that is 2.5mm wire with 12.7mm square openings. It doesn't seem like it would be blocking more than about 20% of the area. I'm just hoping to find something with a bit smaller wire and openings. Maybe I should just rethink the whole idea.

In order to correctly find out the % of open area that each wire mesh has - go to an actual manufacturer of this material. We all know Mcmaster is great for sourcing and purchasing, but in general, they are just a supply house and have very little information about their products. In doing a quick search - Belleville Wire Cloth - in Cedar Grove, NJ. Look them up....

They should have the information - and possibly even the product that you are looking for. I just called for some quick information and they even offered to send me some free samples of the mesh that I was asking about. Seems like this could be a one stop shop for everything you are looking for.

I got my s/s mesh from McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately I cannot remember the specs and they have completely changed the format of their on-line catalog since I ordered mine 10 years ago, so I can't find it. You used to could order a sample pack of 6-8 different sizes of mesh, which I did. It seems like the samples were 3" x 3" or thereabouts. Unfortunately, I lent my sample pack to someone and never got it back, or I would send it to you.

I just remembered I made a post about my mesh way back. I found it Here are the specs...

McMaster-Carr Part Number 9656T123

Material Type Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Type Type 304
Form Woven Wire Cloth
Shape Sheets
Woven Wire Cloth Tolerance Precision
Mesh Size Range Coarse Mesh
Mesh Size 6 x 6
Square/Rectangle Size .132"
Wire Diameter .035"
Percentage of Open Area 62.1
Sheet Width 24"
Sheet Length 24"

I found mine here, the only problem was the shipping was almost as much as the product.
Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
3642-18X24 Coarse Mesh Stainless, #4 x.047 Wire, 18 x 24" Sheet 1 1 19.99

Looks like it fits perfectly, goes completely into the corners. How did you go
about forming the shape to fit so nicely?

I found mine here, the only problem was the shipping was almost as much as the product.
Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
3642-18X24 Coarse Mesh Stainless, #4 x.047 Wire, 18 x 24" Sheet 1 1 19.99

Looks like it was worth it. Great job. I'll keep them in my notes for when I get to that point.

When I formed the screen I left a 1/4" lip around the edge and pushed it thru the opening, that's all holding it, it seems to be solid, doesn't move.

I just found the screen I ordered on my stoop. I like what you did with yours. I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks for the info on where you got it.

Yes, don't wanna go too small, think screen window flying down hiway....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back