Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

rear spring

buzztbucket

i was just wondering instead of using a model a or t spring on the rear axle is there another spring can be used thanks cary

for a cross spring, the A and T springs work the best. anything else would have to be mounted a ways behind the rear end. the longer the spring mounts are, the more stress there is on them. you might look at quarter eliptics if you don't want one of thr Ford springs.

Ron

Speedway sells two different length mounts for 35 to 48 Ford transverse springs. They mount behind the rear housing, not above it. The mounts weld to your rearend housing and extend 6" to 8" back. Posie sells different legnth rear springs so you can find one that is not too long.

Coil Springs.....

You could always use coil springs, they been using them for years...Mount em ontop the axle with a couple "cups" (speedways has em) or make your own mounts and mount em behind the axle. Lots of em out there . Smaller cars= Smaller springs.. You can cut the coils for the ride height you want.. And they are CHEAP. As far as shocks, you can mount them as you would any other time or if the springs are behind the axle ,run the shocks thru the center....JN

_PartsBench.jpg

CCsprprch.jpg

_rearsprngs1-1.jpg

I used Vega rear coils on my track T in 1979. Not many Vegas in bone yards anymore so my current build uses Rear springs from a Chrysler K-car (don't know year or model). The spring has a variable rate, 73# first inch, 81# second inch, and som on. These springs are almost free in most junk yards.

Re: Coil Springs.....

if you use the '35 to '48 spring, mount it 8" behind the rear end. the A and T would be the 6" distance. without the added bump of the earlier spring, you will run into a clearance problem.

coil springs are a good low buck alternative the the leafs. there is a lot more bracket building to do to do. look at the setup BH is running if you deside to go this way. he did an excellent job of fabricating there.

Nice set up blownt!

Ron

thanks guys for the info on the rear spring setup. i do have coilovers, but i leaning more to the old style with the spring.but with that high arch spring of the model a or t it looks like it jacks the rear end up kinda high.thanks once again guys. cary

You could always use coil springs, they been using them for years...Mount em ontop the axle with a couple "cups" (speedways has em) or make your own mounts and mount em behind the axle. Lots of em out there . Smaller cars= Smaller springs.. You can cut the coils for the ride height you want.. And they are CHEAP. As far as shocks, you can mount them as you would any other time or if the springs are behind the axle ,run the shocks thru the center....JN

_PartsBench.jpg

CCsprprch.jpg

_rearsprngs1-1.jpg

I used Vega rear coils on my track T in 1979. Not many Vegas in bone yards anymore so my current build uses Rear springs from a Chrysler K-car (don't know year or model). The spring has a variable rate, 73# first inch, 81# second inch, and som on. These springs are almost free in most junk yards.

Can you provide the free height and o.d. of the K car springs

I mount the coil springs to the front side of the rear housing, this is much better for tuning and a great ride compared to springs mounted to the rear... The farther back, the more traveling they must do, and that means leverage used against your ride.. not for it... same for shocks, this is a very light car, not close to anything stock, so think leverage, to YOUR favor... :bubble:

i do have coilovers, but i leaning more to the old style with the spring.but with that high arch spring of the model a or t it looks like it jacks the rear end up kinda high.

I like the old school look also but i sure like the way my coil overs ride. Especially since they're attached to a Corvette rear end.

I am planning 1/4 elips since coils are too "new looking" for the flavor of the car I am building. My plan is to use the speedway kit and after the front end is set up I will mount the rear spring brackets to get the right rake and ride height.

_PartsBench.jpg

CCsprprch.jpg

_rearsprngs1-1.jpg

where did you get the setup in last pic

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back