Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rick's T-bucket Adventures 2007

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
I gotta go to work but when i get home i'm going to give you guys a little drooling music starting with the day i got her inspected,insured,and tagged.Pretty mean of me i know but i just gotta tell you guys what you'll be doing and the feelings you'll have.Later for now

It'll be good to know, but each state is different. getting the paperwork together to accualy drive it can be a nightmare i've heard.

Here in Michigan you take your reciets to the secratary of state and they submit your forms and you wait 24 hours to run a check on it (check what?)then they call you and say COME ON DOWN you go there and they issue a title.

After the DownRiver Cruise and after alot of miles i found out the front shocks need to be READJUSTED (i have friction shocks)or that sucker will bounce you out of the car.This is NO joke you will not like what happens to you and the car.So be sure after a couple miles readjust them suckers

I called the DMV (Texas) a few months before I started my T and the lady I spoke with was very helpful. From the way she spoke, she almost sounded like she or someone she knew had gone through the process. She answered my questions and asked what I was building. She made a point to tell me to get a pencil etching from the frame (Total puts it in two places) and save my reciepts, as they would be used to set the tax:eek:. She also said that having photos of it being built from start to finish would possibly help during the inspection by a Sheriff:eek: and may even make it where they don't have to see the car in person. I'm not sure about the last part and I'm hoping she is working the window when I get down there.

I have also heard that going to a DMV office in a smaller city is a good idea. I hope things go smooth, but I am ready for anything when it comes to the DMV. I used to do title work for a storage lot and if they have a reason not to like you, you'll be in for the worst time of your life. Smile, be polite and try not to be in a hurry. It's a game and they have all the marbles.:eek:

That is very true...........sometimes it may depend on if they have had a good day themselves or not. The small town thing might help. I live in a one red light town and mine was as easy as going in and paying the taxes on it and they handed me my tags.

Nailbomb said:
how do they figure the taxes on them? Whats this based on?

Here in Tejas, it is figured off the total of the reciepts. 6%, I think. Now, you're supposed to be honest and report everything, but a fellow I met at a meet said that he had a reciept for his bare frame and used that reciept for his FULL chassis. The way my luck runs, the person at the counter would be related to someone who is building one. One thing you don't want to do is get busted being fraudulant. I've heard they can blackball you in the system!:eek:

I'm going to try it in my moms home town, Port LaVaca, TX. Everyone knows me and my family and odds are that someone at the DMV will too. I've had total strangers there, recognise my name and run down my family heritage!

Hey, CJ, that's a nice looking T Bucket in your avatar. Is it yours and do you have some more pics.

Oh, welcome to the site!:D

ok, let me get this straight...

for example i could show them the $200 bill of sale for the engine and tranny and leave out the aftermarket parts, machine work, and full rebuild right? For all they know it was good when i bought it...

and what about freebies and work done yourself? i mean if you slaped together a bunch of stuff you had "laying around" how are you supposed to account for that? I go through junkyards, swap meets, friends and family for my parts. Don't always get a reciept. Hell my dad just picked up a 1970 impala 350 for free(minus the gas i used to go pick it up). We love deals like that.

Hey there Tfeverfred, Yes that is my T bucket in a since. I have actually purchased the car but need to go pick it up. I work the next 7 days straight so I am going next Friday to get it. Thank you for the complement. I am glad I found this site and look forward to chatting with you guys (and gals if they are here). Hopefully I will learn a little something.

I had my car built already and went to the Sec.of State with the Total frame and body papers and told them i had "STUFF"from other builds and this is what i came up with'No problem just pay the tax on the parts from out of state and the tax on the value($1500.00)Got my title

nice, ok thats not too bad.

If things go well, my nailhead will be fed by six stromberg 97's :) Found a old hot rodder who has been sitting on a bin full of them, planing on getting the rebuild kits(~$59 a piece) and doing the work myself. Plan is buy 10 hopefully 6 are good.

Getting the car ready today is The Telegraph Cruise goes 9 to 9 should be 1000 cars again.There are 10 of us Bucket heads that cruise together.Picks later gotta go wash the car

I looked for you and any other T-Buckets in the cruise. I saw only one bucket. About 7,000 mustangs:lol: I was ready to take some pictures of your car, just didn't see you.

thomas:)

Huh?Are you sure you was on Telegraph?:lol:Ok since this was you're first time you need to know about the way a cruise is laid out.First the cruise started at Eureka Road and went to 5 mile in Redford 10 miles down the road.The best place to start is at the beginning of the cruise and blend in when you find a place that has the cars you like T-Buckets,'Vetes,Mustangs,and god forbid the Jap Crap.Second the clubs usually set up camp NEAR THE BEGINNING of the route (which is where we were) there were 15 'Buckets there from mild to real wild as in blowers with four barrel carbs on top we were at Gilead Baptist Church as a result of there invite.Don't park your butt down at the end drive around cause 12 hours of driving is a bit much so we drive then sit drive eat and sit and take in the rest of the cars and bench race wit da udder gear heads:lol:My son drove my car about two hours straight along with my buddys who have 1 a C cab,2and blown 'Bucket and his son3,a fellow member of the roamin chariots and old guy who had his 29 there and a friend drove his 'bucket for him.So the next cruise you need to stop by (dont call cause i never answer the machine)and i'll tell you where to be.Hope this helps for future cruises.

Nailbomb said:
ok, let me get this straight...

for example i could show them the $200 bill of sale for the engine and tranny and leave out the aftermarket parts, machine work, and full rebuild right? For all they know it was good when i bought it....

Nail, that's about the jist of it. I bought my engine yesturday for $450. I got a reciept that has the vin# of the vehicle that it came out of. Now, if and when I go into it, I may spend who knows how much more, but the DMV will only want to see a reciept for the engine. There's no way I would produce a reciept for a $1,500 set of aluminum heads (I wish). Sometimes, ya gotta know when to keep your mouth shut.;)

I think the DMV is going to want to see the obvious stuff. Engine, body, tires/wheels and chassis. Everything else is stuff you could say you did yourself or already had. Like paint and body work. But like I said earlier. CALL FIRST and ask. Each state is different.

Nailbomb said:
nice, ok thats not too bad.

If things go well, my nailhead will be fed by six stromberg 97's :) Found a old hot rodder who has been sitting on a bin full of them, planing on getting the rebuild kits(~$59 a piece) and doing the work myself. Plan is buy 10 hopefully 6 are good.

Nailhead, I can't wait to see that setup. I love the multi-carb setups. They'll look REALLY impressive on an old nailhead. Definately "out of the box" as far as induction systems go.

Heh, i'm always shopping around looking for deals. I really don't think of anything i'm doing as out of the box, this isn't something new i'm making up, its been done befor. Its just not the popular way of doing things, becaws its work intensive and going to cost more. I'm in no real hurry on my end, i'll shop for deals, do as much as i can to save money, and learn as much as i can along the way. I've never rebuilt a carb befor, but i can't think of a good reason i shouldn't learn. There is a entire generation of gearheads that are out there for people like me to pick the brains of, and a lot are willing to teach. I want to be the guy who knows how to tune a carb, rebuild a automatic tranny, port a set of iron heads(this will have to happen on another project, nailhead heads are a little too rare to learn on).

I've got a 75' yamaha 650 bobber(my beater, newly aquired for $1k), and a 59' iron head sportster chopper(my heirloom, and baby). I've got a 01 ranger to get me to and from work. Once I have the hotrod it'll be a complete package for me:-D but i'm going to enjoy the trip to completion with it.

That's some great plans and the '59 sounds awesome. I never owned a bike, but I have always admired the older Harleys and Indians. I like the craftsmanship and the will power of the owners to keep them on the road.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back