Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

sitting low

This is an example of wicked cool looks but questionable safety, check the scrubline. Get a flat tire and someone could get hurt.

1258865661_382a9d30b7_z.jpg

I'm actually gathering parts to build something very similar but with a nice VW engine out back and a couple of inches higher.

Should give me the legroom I need without that huge transmission hoggin' up the space.

2092767603_8814f5ba00_z.jpg

Might try adding some airbags on the rear to be able to adjust the ride height and adjust for additional passengers.

Got one of my bugs ripped apart, got a bucket to chop up and stretch. Just pulled apart an Econoline for the front end, going to see if RPM can whip up a really clean mount for me. Should be ready for Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green and then on to Dayton.

Got one of my bugs ripped apart, got a bucket to chop up and stretch. Just pulled apart an Econoline for the front end, going to see if RPM can whip up a really clean mount for me. Should be ready for Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green and then on to Dayton.

Very cool, I'm looking forward to pics of this. :spy:

T-odd, thank you for the info and pics. Definitely gives me more of an expliantion to go about my plans, im a visual person. Also Dons rod is awesome! I love the colors, love the stance, very well put together in a clean and simple way. his motor seems to be mounted a little high though I think. in your opinion, would you lower it maybe an inch or two?

Todd, I'm trying to identify the track where you snapped the VW-powered T. Is that Bowling Green?

I found the Volksrods.com site a few months back. I had to get away, because that looked like too much fun and I am skint. I used to sell springs to a lot of people doing VW motors and it's pretty amazing how much power you can milk out of the wee motors. If I had been able to fund the project, I would have loved to have tried G/D a few years back. The index was pretty soft at the time and I think it would have been pretty simple to have built a car that could have qualified low anywhere it went.

Mike,
I build all my own cars and the ones in magazines. I always gave people credit for work they really didn't do. That's just

me. You have a lot of great people here on the forum. Ted Brown, Corley, Old Rotor Flap, Fluidfloyd, and T-odd just to

name a few. But, you also have some wanna-bes that have unproven cars--- Airbag, helmet guys. You call someone a

bad apple. I am not someone that is on probation. I spent 10 years in the court system with judges and lawyers. This is

what it's starting to feel like. No freedom of speech. The number two strike was unfair! So, I will see it as strike three. If

you would read my posts, I am who I am. I've worked with thousands of people and built a successful business. I have

always been honest and true to myself. I am my own person. When I write something, it's to make people think and be

interesting! I just don't write one-liners. I also have a job and a post takes up time. I do it only because I love T-buckets.

T-odd,
All your photos were awesome! Hard to pick the guys out of the forum that know what they're doing and the guys who are

just talkers. Bob Nunes

mike r "T-odd, thank you for the info and pics. Definitely gives me more of an expliantion to go about my plans, im a visual person. Also Dons rod is awesome! I love the colors, love the stance, very well put together in a clean and simple way. his motor seems to be mounted a little high though I think. in your opinion, would you lower it maybe an inch or two?"

A "Don's car clone" could be built with the engine dropped an inch and maybe even two, but you have to take a few other tings in consideration when dreaming about dropping it in the weeds.

Suspension travel and comfort might be affected in order to look cool. You don't want a car three inches off the ground to scrape when two people get in it so you stiffen the suspension. In the old sprint car with torsion bars it was easy to adjust a "click" or two. With air suspension you can adjust by turning on the compressor and airing it up. With coil overs, you can get out the wrench and adjust it. With leaf springs front and rear it's darn near impossible to adjust on the fly... unless you set up the spring mount with a weight-jack like my old super modified. It had a big bolt that you could tighten to jack the weight of the car around to the inside, or back off to shift the weight to the outside.

When we were dropping VW bugs to the ground and couldn't clear a crushed soda can, the ride suffered because we can't have something that low and have it bouncing around like a cruise ship. It's just dangerous. So low vehicles usually have "sport" suspension. Sport = stiff. You have a car that has 6" or travel and rides like a caddy, you can't really get it low because it'll be scraping the ground on the big bumps or if you have a hefty passenger.

As always, there are exceptions to the rule and I'm speaking in general terms. Just because the suspension is a little stiff or amount of travel is decreased does not necessarily mean it doesn't have a nice ride. You can obtain the look and ride if it is very well planned out.

My bucket's front end barely has an inch of travel and I drive long distances in it at the drop of a hat. Memphis to Springfield, IL was no big deal. Not once did I say, geez, this front suspension is too stiff. The rear? a little different story. I'd like a little softer, but I'll fix that with a better seat. ISSUE RESOLVED.

Somewhere I have the pics from when Stitch's car was ripped apart and rebuilt. The frame on that was pretty drastic BUT Stitch drove that hot rod across the country... from Chicago to Bonneville, then flogged it like a rented mule and drove it home.

When he sold it, he drove it from IL to Arizona, dropped it off and flew back home. It was built to drive and it was low, but it was also very well planned out. Sad end to the story of Stitch's bucket, the new owner totaled it a week later.

Enough drama. To get things back on track, T-ODD, keep posting up those pictures.

Keep the pictures and comments coming Todd, I'm one of those poser's gathering knowledge from those that have done it ahead of me.

I'll keep digging up pics and posting them when I can.

One of the projects I'd love to get started on is a stretched and widened bucket that sits low and looks great, but has enough room for two grown men to drive the Long Haul on the Hot Rod Power Tour.

The VW was the first idea, just because the VW engine is in the back, and that means legroom and interior space not occupied by a huge tranny. Ha, huge tranny. Saw one of those walking down the street the other day. (figured you might need a laugh about now)

Then I came across three Corvairs in the yard and started thinking... I still want to build that the front mounted V8 'vair gasser, and that leaves an engine and transaxle... the Corvair was heavier but had more power... hmmm.

I just love T Buckets and I'm always trying to come up with something else to do, something that might be more comfortable, something that has an awesome stance but is thought out enough to actually be able to be driven long distance, and SAFE.

Still looking for a '26-'27 Coupe or Sedan cowl so I can get started building the Woodie more-door.

In the spirit of sitting low I always wondered if you could use the rear end out of a C5/C6 corvette where the trans and rear are together. That would free up a lot of space in the car. By the looks of it though you would need a long box or a C cab maybe. Or how about a transaxle from a Porsche or Ford GT. They stick out farther in the back and the driveshafts are more centered. Obviously an expensive route but would be cool non the less. Just food for thought.

c6_diff_strut_lr.jpg

Eggy built his low and he's using a Jag rear. The stationary rear helped a tad because the driveshaft doesn't have to move up and down, but on a normal bucket that up and down distance is only a few inches in most cases.

His bucket is low and long (and for whatever reason I cannot find any of my pictures of it right now) and it is very comfortable. He drove it from Texas to Lenoir last year, he drove it to Colorado Springs this year, he drives it everywhere.

Built low, but it's a driver and it's comfortable. Sure the trans take up a bunch of room, but his car still works (for lack of a better term right now).

Digging for pics.

Oh yeah!

stitch101.jpg

stitch102.jpg

stitch110.jpg

These are the exact photos I was searching all my computers and drivers for... beautiful car, shame it got destroyed.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back