Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Slow out of the hole

I was told by a trans expert to buy that truck trans when we were building my trans turbo400 in the beginning... It has worked more than great over all these years, and has never failed in in a dead stop race, and with the Big Block, the faster it went, the harder it pulled... The engine would go faster than the windshield wanted it to, so always when I wanted to go out driving at faster top speeds, I took the top half of my windshield off for the weekend, then 160 plus speeds were no problem...

The days of using T-400 are behind us, unless you are building a nitrous drag car. They are a bit heavier, but have way too much rotating mass. T-350 is lighter and rotating mass is also lower. The rotating mass differences between T-400 and T-350 will amount to about 15 HP at the tailshaft. Where I come from, 15 HP is huge and you certainly cannot beat getting it for free. If money is not critical, converting to the 904 Torqueflite is the best choice for a 3 speed. If I had a real torquey big block in a T, I would even consider using a 'Glide, as it will help keep the motor on the converter. There will be those who have no clue what that last sentence actually means, but for those who do... :wolf:

The days of using T-400 are behind us, unless you are building a nitrous drag car. They are a bit heavier, but have way too much rotating mass. T-350 is lighter and rotating mass is also lower. The rotating mass differences between T-400 and T-350 will amount to about 15 HP at the tailshaft. Where I come from, 15 HP is huge and you certainly cannot beat getting it for free. If money is not critical, converting to the 904 Torqueflite is the best choice for a 3 speed. If I had a real torquey big block in a T, I would even consider using a 'Glide, as it will help keep the motor on the converter. There will be those who have no clue what that last sentence actually means, but for those who do... :wolf:

You're right, but they are harder to find in good enough shape to build or harder to buy for initial cost. JM .02

I could not keep second gear in a turbo 350, tried many with my big block, they work OK with a small block that can spin the tires, but full traction and HP kills their second gear, I have found, anyway... :) For the money, in all ways, (many) the 400 is very hard to beat!!! IMHO PS, I noticed that I forgot to put the word converter in my post about what my trans builder told me to buy... Sorry I did miss that in my re read...

Try setting initial advance @ 16*, all in by 2500 rpms, shoot for 36 - 38 * total, hook up the vacuum advance (for better fuel economy [with these fuel prices an extra couple mpg won't hurt]).
2820 lbs., 3000 lbs. w/you in the driver's seat is about 1000 lbs heavier than the average T. That's a real difference. I think more horse puppies are in order.
Any way, get the timing figured out first. Then attack the carb. 600 cfm is fine for that engine. Is the carb stock? Is it second hand and seen a few owners? Find out what stock settings are and use that as a staring point.
What is the loaded diameter of the rear tire? Maybe a shorter (or narrower) tire is in order.
You didn't say how the car runs. Get the ignition fixed first, then the carb. If you can't do a huge smoky, there are worse things in life.
If you want to do burnouts, then more H.P. will be required.
2x Ruggs request for pics.
This is where "tuning" comes into play. 90% of carb problems are in the ignition.

John
Ok I added air to the rear tires[now at 35 psi], bumped the timing up to 16 degrees at idle and 35 at 2500 rpms. I changed the secondary spring to a heavier spring [Holley purple]but still have no burnout. I guess I will have to live with that. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures. I will have to wait for my daughter to come for a visit and get her to post them for me. Thanks guys!

Ok I added air to the rear tires[now at 35 psi], bumped the timing up to 16 degrees at idle and 35 at 2500 rpms. I changed the secondary spring to a heavier spring [Holley purple]but still have no burnout. I guess I will have to live with that. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures. I will have to wait for my daughter to come for a visit and get her to post them for me. Thanks guys!
KP....If you know how to e-mail them I'll post them for you.. rruggles@cox.net
.....ruggs

What size tires are we talking anyway?

When it comes to timing have you tried using a degree wheel to verify your cam position? It is fairly simple, all you need is a degree wheel and a piston stop.

Pictures from KPoole
photo.jpg

kp2.jpg

Hotrod_side_view.jpg

photo3.jpg

Just thought I would bring this thread back to the top, people like to see the car pictures so, here is Kennys...........ruggs (one post before this one)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back