Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

smoothing welds

I just now found this post. Don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. If you're welding on suspensions, axles, frames, etc.,if you haven't

been in some type of APPRENTICESHIP OR GONE TO SCHOOL WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HELIARC, MIG OR TIG WELDING, you shouldn't be doing

your own welding?! -- An ugly weld is a bad weld. A clean weld will burn all the way through, even if your welding on a thin piece of material,

you should be able to turn it over and see the penetration. The weld should look like a roll of dimes. Whenever I hired somebody, I

always asked for CERTIFICATION! Never grind on welds. You never know what's under it. If it doesn't look good on the top, it doesn't look

good on the bottom. A true craftsman, after a piece has been chromed NOTHING LOOKS BETTER THAN A CLEAN ROLL OF DIMES.

I NEVER USED TO POLISH MY WELDS. BOB NUNES

Heres one for you
If I want to grind a weld back for appearance then I go for two things.

Get a GOOD root weld in. Then another weld top and bottom of that weld. Maybe another one on top in the gap.
Grind back till its smooth but DO NOT get in to it so far the the first root is touched. This way you get a smooth Chromeable finish but with a healthy weld at the point of the joint. The rest is just dressing

Gerry

PS. I was a LLoyds certified welder after my apprenticeship finished. So take what you want from this and remember if you cant or dont feel comfortable welding then DONT. We pay good money for wheels etc so why not for a proper welder???

Heres one for you
If I want to grind a weld back for appearance then I go for two things.

Get a GOOD root weld in. Then another weld top and bottom of that weld. Maybe another one on top in the gap.
Grind back till its smooth but DO NOT get in to it so far the the first root is touched. This way you get a smooth Chromeable finish but with a healthy weld at the point of the joint. The rest is just dressing

Gerry

PS. I was a LLoyds certified welder after my apprenticeship finished. So take what you want from this and remember if you cant or dont feel comfortable welding then DONT. We pay good money for wheels etc so why not for a proper welder???
Gerry, I use the same basic method except I make mig welds prettier by flattening them with a quick pass with the Tig......Good to see your back....Ron (ruggs)

Gerry, I use the same basic method except I make mig welds prettier by flattening them with a quick pass with the Tig......Good to see your back....Ron (ruggs)

Funny thing is so do I
Guess we are on the same wave length
G

Once in awhile I take a welding class at local Jr. College, just to refresh my welding. I am certified but don't weld much being as how I am retired and tired. If I doing a project I will get some scraps out and practice to get my skills honed again. I may do a bunch of welding and then not even look at the welder again for 6 months.

Hey Ron, I just went back over your thread where you made the statement you were worried about why someone didn't get killed in one of your fixes.

Well, you pretty much answered your own question. You're one of those guys I would have fired. I-CAR is nice to have, but as you can see in this thread,

in the hands of someone without confidence or proper training, it doesn't mean anything. I had a separate business doing custom car fabrication

and everything was done with HELI-ARC welding. Your kind of response hurts the integrity and wisdom of the forum.

If you're wondering if you did a bad work, you probably did Being certified in California, is not an easy thing.

One thing crazy about cyberspace, is a lot of people pretending, so you have a hard time with who's real! SAD. This guy is probably for real.

I also went to school for all the technical training, welding, and engineering, etc. Bob
Bob, I know the calber of frame man that I am, what I was trying to say is that maybe I didn't do things exactly as you would have done therefore I must have always be doing things wrong. I see no point in carrying on this conversation with you due to the fact that I have a problem with self professed Guru's...Ron (ruggs)

I don't believe in grinding welds. I just leave them in the nasty as-welded condition. :rolleyes:

MotorMountsLJ.jpg

I don't believe in grinding welds. I just leave them in the nasty as-welded condition. :rolleyes:

MotorMountsLJ.jpg

GAB, That is one beautiful engine mount. At least as a home-shop builder, I think that's what it is.

I'm not allowed to grind or dress welds on this project. The FAA doesn't allow any grinding or dressing of welded structure.
Pictures 222.jpg

GAB, those are some nice "nasty" welds you have there.

OK, enough is enough and I've had more than enough.

Bob, for whatever reason, contention seems to follow you wherever you go. I can always tell when you start posting, because my Inbox starts filling up with complaints from the people who feel you're busting balls and stepping on toes. I am at a point in life where I am doing my utmost to avoid contention and it seems I have to wade hip-deep into it whenever your overly-critical posts start appearing. It seems you are just not a good fit for this forum and I'm cutting you loose. I hope you will be able to find a forum site where your comments, observations and critiques will be better accepted. For multiple reasons, this site was just not the one.

For those who have taken the time to drop me a note when something is coming apart around here, I appreciate Bruce and I being made aware of potential problems before they get out of hand. There are only the two of us to look after everyone and everything, a situation I am now in the process of trying to alleviate with some additional help. So, if you suddenly get a message asking you to step up to a forum moderator's position, please do not dismiss it without giving it some serious consideration. Bruce and I have spent more than a few minutes agonizing over who amongst you would be an asset to this site through service as a moderator. Our list has been an extremely short one from the very beginning, so we both hope you will see your consideration as part of the team as the compliment it truly is.

For those who have taken the time to drop me a note to do nothing more than pick fly specks out of pepper, be advised I am more than willing to measure you by the same plumb you measure others. There is something in the vicinity of 100 members who are participating here on a regular basis. If you really believe everything those people say will always be 100% correct, diplomatic and politically-correct, it's time to step back through the looking glass. It's not going to happen and I'll be damned if I will let you tie me over a barrel every time your sensibilities have been disturbed. If you feel a post is out of line, send myself or Bruce a link to it. I promise you we will look into it as soon as humanly possible and we will strive to come up with a solution that will serve the majority of our members and guests in the best way possible. If that solution does not meet your high standards, you can 1) get over it, 2) get used to it or 3) get out. If you prefer hearing it in Biblical terms, read Matthew 7:1 with the understanding that your individual reality only exists when you choose to focus your awareness on that perceived 'reality'. Go figure, Jesus was actually teaching about karma and in real simple terms, He said karma is a bitch. There is one person standing at the experiential center of your own state of being, and that's you. What you choose to do with that is up to you. The standard we Christians are held to is that of loving others as we are loved and forgiving others as we expect to be forgiven. What standards are you held to in your life? (Wow, an entire sermon in just six sentences? :wow: I am teh awwsum.)

I spent 37 years working with people in sales and I managed to develop a good method of assessing not only situations, but those involved in them. What the school of hard knocks failed to teach me, the United Methodist Church taught me as I was prepared to serve as a pastor. You'll have to take my word for it, but the members I chose to serve as forum staff were chosen with more care than you might imagine. So do me a favor. Flag us up if you think a volcano is about to erupt on the site. Then, please take your opinions and get back out of the way, so we can do our jobs. Pissing in my ear and trying to convince me it's raining is accomplishing two things - it is wasting your time and it is really rubbing my fur the wrong direction. Let those with ears hear.

'Nuff said? Good. Now go play well with others, before I feel the need to make some more changes.

I alluded to a shortage in forum staff members and want to ask if anyone has had any contact with Yogi. He's been away for some 3 months now and I've not received any reply to my attempts to reach out to him. I am hoping his absence is nothing more than a change of his interests in Life and is not caused by something more serious. If you do have contact with him, please let him know of my concern and extend him my best wishes for the future.

MotorMountsLJ.jpg

Take a bow. Thats as good as I have seen anywhere.
Gerry

Gerry

Agreed!! boy it wouldn't take but a second to grind that down nice and smooth, and then polish it up real purdy. :sly: :run:

Russ

Gerry

Just thought I would throw these up. Make your own mind up if you think they make the grade or not. This is the rear hub. There is about 6 '' of weld around that block, which survived on 4 tacks for years while I roller the chassis around. It also survived an A bar tow for 20 miles or so in that state.
smooth weld.JPGsmooth weld1.JPG
I am more than happy that this will be OK under power. What say you?
Gerry

Being steel, those should be OK, now in Alum, the weld is the weakest part, and not a real good idea to grind away the bit of strength that is there. So I have been told by older, wiser guys than me... hehe another good reason to drive the chassis naked for at least 1000 miles, hard miles, to see what it all looks like after a good beating, past the test of hard street use, and now the purdy can take place, like Russ always says, make it purdy... :)

I'm not allowed to grind or dress welds on this project. The FAA doesn't allow any grinding or dressing of welded structure.
[attachment=4897:pictures 222.jpg]
A very good point, Ironhead. Our CAA here don't allow it either. If the aircraft guys don't allow machining welds, then we should think at least thrice about doing it on a vehicle as well.

This is a side note in that the HAMB has a thread that is unbelievable on welding. Not taking ANYTHING away from the work here. I'll see if I can find it and reference it.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back