Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

So, why a T Bucket?

My reason for building a T is somewhat different from what I've seen posted. In changing the direction of the build of my unfinished '37 Chevy I had some leftover parts. Namely a brand new 4" dropped tube axle that had a complete disc brake setup and the front springs from the '37 Chevy. I told my wife that I'd probably have a somewhat difficult time selling that setup and that I'd probably lose a lot of money on the deal. I told her that with the help of our two sons I would build a T for fun and that I might have about five grand invested in it. LOL

Our older son, who is a graphic artist and a designer, designed all the body and interior. The younger son, who had a fiberglass business doing a lot of work for Disney and Sea World, was enlisted to do the body. I also had a good friend help on building the chassis. What with all our regular jobs, it took a little over five years to complete the project. I might also add that it cost a "bit" more than the five grand that I told my wife it would cost and she has never let me forget it. LOL

With it all said and done, my wife and I have really enjoy our T and it is a great garage mate for our '37 Chevy.

Jim

My reason for building a T is somewhat different from what I've seen posted. In changing the direction of the build of my unfinished '37 Chevy I had some leftover parts. Namely a brand new 4" dropped tube axle that had a complete disc brake setup and the front springs from the '37 Chevy. I told my wife that I'd probably have a somewhat difficult time selling that setup and that I'd probably lose a lot of money on the deal. I told her that with the help of our two sons I would build a T for fun and that I might have about five grand invested in it. LOL

Our older son, who is a graphic artist and a designer, designed all the body and interior. The younger son, who had a fiberglass business doing a lot of work for Disney and Sea World, was enlisted to do the body. I also had a good friend help on building the chassis. What with all our regular jobs, it took a little over five years to complete the project. I might also add that it cost a "bit" more than the five grand that I told my wife it would cost and she has never let me forget it. LOL

With it all said and done, my wife and I have really enjoy our T and it is a great garage mate for our '37 Chevy.

Jim
At least you didn't "loose money" on the axle, lol... We think alike... It's cost me too.

You might want to check on all the rules & regs. pertaining to running sub-10 seconds ...
i know that at many tracks a "normal" street bucket would never be allowed..You may have to have chassis cert's , inspections , & a whole list of safety equip. [$$$$$$]
dave
Yep, it's gonna' have an altered/funny car cage built to NHRA/SFI specs for 7.50 and slower 1/4 mile et's.

I've wanted a home built, minimalistic Hot Rod since I found some early 60's mags in art class, grade 4 or 5.
The teacher let me take them home and I was hooked.
Wasn't much around here in the way of bodies to build, so I got deep into street machines and drag cars when I got my licence.
Eventually a 5 window Deuce turned up and I started to build it but raising a family got in the way.
I managed to build several other vehicles later while the deuce just took up garage space.
I don't know why...but I just couldn't get "into" the Deuce.
Wanting a pure Hot Rod meant it HAD to be chopped and channelled, but a mockup showed that I would never be comfortable in it.
It sat.
A good friend with a T and myself decided to take his T on a jaunt to the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton one year and with that long distance highway run I was hooked.
The following year we took it again. That did it completely.
I started making plans and collecting parts to build one! LoL

He sold the T later that year, but the guy who bought it just wasn't "into" a T. He wanted a closed car project.
Talking to a mutual friend I kinda sorta suggested there might be a chance for a trade...Running/driving T for the Deuce body and frame plus a few bits and pieces I had kicking around.
A few days later I got a call and the Deuce project went out and the T came in!

It needed a bit of work and some changes to make it mine...but it was a runner AND definately a Hot Rod.

For the past 3 years I've been enjoying it every summer and enjoying making changes and improvements to it in the winter building season as well.

Cool and valuable as a deuce is, I got the best value from the T for me...and I'm loving it!

I've wanted a home built, minimalistic Hot Rod since I found some early 60's mags in art class, grade 4 or 5.
The teacher let me take them home and I was hooked.
Wasn't much around here in the way of bodies to build, so I got deep into street machines and drag cars when I got my licence.
Eventually a 5 window Deuce turned up and I started to build it but raising a family got in the way.
I managed to build several other vehicles later while the deuce just took up garage space.
I don't know why...but I just couldn't get "into" the Deuce.
Wanting a pure Hot Rod meant it HAD to be chopped and channelled, but a mockup showed that I would never be comfortable in it.
It sat.
A good friend with a T and myself decided to take his T on a jaunt to the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton one year and with that long distance highway run I was hooked.
The following year we took it again. That did it completely.
I started making plans and collecting parts to build one! LoL

He sold the T later that year, but the guy who bought it just wasn't "into" a T. He wanted a closed car project.
Talking to a mutual friend I kinda sorta suggested there might be a chance for a trade...Running/driving T for the Deuce body and frame plus a few bits and pieces I had kicking around.
A few days later I got a call and the Deuce project went out and the T came in!

It needed a bit of work and some changes to make it mine...but it was a runner AND definately a Hot Rod.

For the past 3 years I've been enjoying it every summer and enjoying making changes and improvements to it in the winter building season as well.

Cool and valuable as a deuce is, I got the best value from the T for me...and I'm loving it!
I have several steel cars that I've been hoarding and planning to do for a while, but Ive lost my zeal for all of the effort required to do them justice. They are valuable rag tops, and I have many hard to find parts for them. The bucket came along and seemed like a much more doable and enjoyable project. I'm still hoarding my goodies though, lol... It's in my blood.

I like a nice Deuce, but they have a problem. There's just so gawd damn many of 'em. Great story.

Yup.

My first sighting of a T. I was just under 17 and went to a drag race on my Honda 90 "motorcycle". That was that. Never got over them and now, some 40 years later they are still my #1 choice. A Lotto win would make no difference, probably buy a Lexus for a daily and have a few Rods scattered around but always will be a T as my first choice.

Ah the days of little 4 bangers, when V8 were the exception in the UK.

I have always liked anything that had to use an internal combustion engine. At an early age I was taken to a drag strip in Florida. That did it. Then as I got older I went to the local circle track. More cool cars and noise and speed. It was great! I lived not far from a lake that some hydroplane racers used to test on. That is just insane! I like it all. When I turned 16 I bought a convertible. A 74 Triumph Spitfire. Bright canary yellow. It was not subtle. Loved having the hard top off and driving all over with the wind, sun and hearing the exhaust. When I got older and more settled down (don't talk to my better half, she'll say it has not happened yet) I started to rebuild my then current car, a 68 Pontiac LeMans, it was rough, I drove it hard. I ended up getting rid of it because I took a job in Texas. Since I got rid of the Pontiac I started thinking about building a Cobra. I looked into them all. It was a lot of money then. Still is today.Would never be able to afford to buy one. So.... Then my wife came home and told me about this hot rod (a T Bucket) that her friend's father had built. She liked it! Plus points there. I saw it and was hooked. Fat tires, no top and loud! It is a very basic car that everyone wants to look at and talk to you about. They are all a personal choice as far as what each of us put into them. What color we paint them, how detailed we want them to be. I like it! I like it a lot. That is why I'm building my T Bucket.

Great story, Paul.

They may be every where but its still my dream car.

Don't get me wrong, I like them too. In small doses and done right. It just seems at every show I went to, there would be a conglomeration of them in one spot. Power parked. I get the whole "iconic" bit. woo freakin' hoo. I have no stomach for the elitist attitude of SOME of the owners. The image of old men sitting in lawn chairs waiting to jump up, if some looks like they might touch their car. And before this gets screwed all out of proportion, not all Deuce owners behave that way. But the one's who do are a real turn off.

Besides, IMO, the '34 was the better looking of the two.;)

I over heard a guy looking at my car once and he was like, "Yea, a T Bucket. Everybody has one." Yet, mine was the only one there. In fact at just about every show I went to, my T Bucket was the only one. Hell, I won a trophy for 1st in my division, because my T Bucket was the only one there, in my division. LMFAO But I kinda like it that way. The "Lone Wolf" attitude is strong in this one.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys noticed, that it seems like the biggest fans of T Buckets are people who drive/ride motorcycles? Or how about how a lot of T Bucket owners have or ride bikes? I think it's because they "get it". Cruising along, wind flappin' all around you. You're all tucked in, you and the engine all exposed. WAY over powered for it's size and weight. Lite, loud and FAST. No confining "shell" for protection. Just rolling along, on four wheels, IN THA WIND. Sometimes, when I would go out, I'd just be smiling. Sometimes, laughing out loud.

I got caught in a thunder storm one day. The rain was coming down in buckets. I was drenched. I was sitting at a stop light and this guy rolled up on a tricked out Harley. He looks over and says, "HEY! The rest of these guys are pussies, eh?" Then, the light changed, a thumbs up and he rode off. Suddenly, I didn't care how wet I was.

Damn, I really do love these cars.

You hit the nail on the head with the wind and power to weight thing. Also, the lone wolf... Thats why I liked building off cars, pontiacs, buicks, etc. I don't want just another one of what everyone else has. If we have similar cars, I guarantee there are noticeable differences based on taste. That's a big reason why I do things the hard way as opposed to buying off the shelf stuff, nothing wrong with that, and no inference intended, it's just my DNA... If I had the energy, I'd make every part.

That's it!!!!!

It's like the saying when someone asks why I ride a motorcycle. I try to explain it but some just don't understand. They just think I'm crazy. Maybe I am, more so than others. Fred and Fletcherson have nailed it imho.

I ride a Harley to. And your right, when I'm in my T-Bucket almost all the motorcycle riders give me a wave.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back