Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

So, why a T Bucket?

When I was about 8 y/o I started building car models. My two favorite cars were a Lotus 7 and that big t bucket model that Revell put out. Several years ago I realized I wasn't getting any younger so I bought a Lotus 7. That leaves a t bucket. Several years ago I bought a cowl that was made to build a woody with. Time to get started.

When I was about 8 y/o I started building car models. My two favorite cars were a Lotus 7 and that big t bucket model that Revell put out. Several years ago I realized I wasn't getting any younger so I bought a Lotus 7. That leaves a t bucket. Several years ago I bought a cowl that was made to build a woody with. Time to get started.

Ahhhh....a kindred spirit!

Around age 7-8 is when I started kitbashing models of my take on the bobtail T-Bucket Tweedy Pie. Early on my car interests turned to sports cars....it's a family thing. I always loved the Super 7s and Caterhams. Still very high on my "Would love to build" list is a melding of a T-Bucket bodied track roadster and something Super 7 esque. I'm with you on the woodie to...back in the early '80s I bought a Jeep CJ5, and cut off everything from the cowl back with the intent of building a little woodie. I may still turn my project into a T cowl based something like this
Woodie.jpg

Zandoz,

Looks like we've had the same type of cars. Started with a CJ-7 and drive a Wrangler Unlimited. I've driven mostly Corvettes my whole life except for a couple of mustangs and a triumph slitfire.

Triumph GT 6 was a cool car back then. Spitfire on steroids.

Back in the late '60's I had 4 different guys who owned british sports carsb,working at home in the evening , those guys paid for the majority of an 20' rayson craft jet boat I bought , seems those cars had the WORST electronics in the world , constantly breaking down !!
dave

Wiring was not the best but the most complicted 'electronics' on them were relays....

I recall wiring , switches , relays ,sending units , gauges, voltage reg. , starters all being "suspect"....IIRC the Triumph was the worst , then the MG...
dave

I think I had more problems with that triumph than I have with all of the rest of my sports cars combined. I had been looking at a tr-6 when I decided to just pay the extra bucks and get the lotus. Probably saved myself the cost of a lot of tylenol.

full

That thing is sweet

That's Speedway's Tribute T, built by Hot Rod Magazine.

These pics are the one's that inspired my "Black Dahlia" build. I wasn't sure an all black T Bucket would look right, then I saw this:

black_tribute1.jpg

black_tribute.jpg

Note the Bomber seats, but I'm still not completely sold on them. Note the stance, as well.

Last edited:
They are both nice. I like the black on black. Are the headlights lower than normal? I guess it is because the front is low. Could be just the angle as well.

I think those are short mounts. But it could be a perception issue. The whole car is low, but again, it may be the camera angle.

Zandoz,

Looks like we've had the same type of cars. Started with a CJ-7 and drive a Wrangler Unlimited. I've driven mostly Corvettes my whole life except for a couple of mustangs and a triumph slitfire.

I meant triumph spitfire. Currently have a porsche 914 project in the works.

My British years were spent mainly with MGs and Austins, but I did dabble a bit in various Triumphs because friends and relatives had them. I was also into VWs big time. The 914s were a product of the Porsche/VW collaboration years...a lot of VW components. If I were still in any kind of health, one of the projects I'd be on the lookout for would be a VW 412 wagon with an engine built from 914 2.0 litre components.

On the Jeep side, 2 others besides the '56 CJ5 I mentioned...a '48 CJ2 with a flathead V8 conversion, and currently a Grand Cherokee Special Edition. We got the Cherokee 2 years ago, and I've only been in it 3 times. The first time daughter drove it she proclaimed it her car.

Back in the late '60's I had 4 different guys who owned british sports carsb,working at home in the evening , those guys paid for the majority of an 20' rayson craft jet boat I bought , seems those cars had the WORST electronics in the world , constantly breaking down !!
dave

Wiring was not the best but the most complicted 'electronics' on them were relays....

I recall wiring , switches , relays ,sending units , gauges, voltage reg. , starters all being "suspect"....IIRC the Triumph was the worst , then the MG...
dave

I think I had more problems with that triumph than I have with all of the rest of my sports cars combined. I had been looking at a tr-6 when I decided to just pay the extra bucks and get the lotus. Probably saved myself the cost of a lot of tylenol.

All of the Brit cars back then were more than likely going to have electrical problems, because they all used the same source electrical components. They all came from Lucas. If you got one that did not have problems, you were lucky. On the MGs I did that were not strict restorations, I'd replace almost all the electrical components except the starters with components from German Fords.

Actually, after Tweedy Pie, the car that has had the biggest influence on what I'm trying to accomplish with my unconventional T-Bucket build was a car we called the Spridget. A '69 MG Midget chassis that was rebuilt for SCCA Solo racing, that was fitted with Lenham fiberglass bodywork intended for an Austin Healey Sprite. When I got my hands on it, I converted it back to minimally street legal. The car was utterly simple...nothing that was not needed to be street legal. The car had 1275cc engine that put out less than 100hp, yet with the car's gearing and low weight to hp ratio it was stupidly quick at street driving speeds. The car had an antiquated suspension by modern standards, yet with it's low center of gravity it was a blast to to toss around. With the little V6 I have to work with, I know there is no chance of winning drag races or burn out competitions...but I also know that there there is an alternate equation to fun...simple + lightweight + low + nimble = fun

My old man was a Triumph fan. Started with Standard Vanguards and moved to Triumphs. He had 2 Heralds, 1 Vitess, 2 Spitfires and finally a GT6. My second car was a Herald. 22 foot turning circle, but be careful as the stub axles got strained and it wasn't uncommon for them to shear off. Had a front wheel race off in front of me once, when the stub axle broke. Never mind it had bucket seats, a 10" steering wheel and rattle can flames. Loved it to bits.

Gerry, since you are in England perhaps you can verify the words that Mr. Lucas is supposed to have said on his death bed. We've heard over that those words were "don't drive at night". LOL

Jim

My old man was a Triumph fan. Started with Standard Vanguards and moved to Triumphs. He had 2 Heralds, 1 Vitess, 2 Spitfires and finally a GT6. My second car was a Herald. 22 foot turning circle, but be careful as the stub axles got strained and it wasn't uncommon for them to shear off. Had a front wheel race off in front of me once, when the stub axle broke. Never mind it had bucket seats, a 10" steering wheel and rattle can flames. Loved it to bits.
my father owned a body shop and dealt with all of the car lots, so he had access to bulk inventory, lol... He always had a dozen or so cars and trucks to fix and sell. He liked mustangs, ramblers, and triumphs. They were in constand need of something, but very fun to drive! He had one with a tilt front end that was most memorable to me, tr6, maybe? I have a little fiat spyder that reminds me of them to some extent, except for the service issues. I also have a rail buggy with a 1600cc VW engine.

Tilt front end was the Herald or Vitess. Also the GT6 has the same which is why a buddy of mine put a BBC in one. His reasoning was that he just had to take the flip off, put the Chevy in and cut a hole for the carb.

You know I cant remember ever having trouble with Lucas stuff. Mind you the lights back then were about 3 candle power.

Herald.jpg

Well done guys the pic upload works really well. Thanks
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back