Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spark Plug Wires

jimbo01

I was wondering what everyone likes to use for spark plug wires for HEI or distributers using points. I also like to know the size and why. The price range is as wide as the manufactures that produce and sell them.

I've always used Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm angled boot wires- custom fit. I like them because I can cut them the the exact size I need, the angled boots (I use the 135 deg) gets me clear of the headers, they have silicone jacket, and they come in a lot of colors. They cost a bit more than other sets, but last a long time and are well worth it in my opinion. I do use a little lacquer thinner and wipe off the writing on the wires - I'm not a fan of any logos or manufacturer's name on my car.

They will work well for any street car running an HEI, electronic ignition, or points.

What Ben just said.

Jim

Hey Ben, great to see a Ford engine on a Ford car. Still don't know why those other guys use the wrong engine. Kind of like mixing top shelf whisky with coke I guess.

Accel 8mm spiral core. Perfectly sized, no cutting, lasts a long time. This set is 4 years old and cost 40 bucks. Wire management is super easy, even without looms.photo21.jpg

The whole reason I started this thread was because of the Taylor brand as I had never heard of them! I searched the web for Taylor reviews and the feed back was about 50/50, so the search was on. I've looked at MSD but way to expensive and only comes in black and red. I've narrowed it down to Accel, Moroso and the Taylors. The only thing I was really looking for was 8mm universal (trim able), blue wire and 90 degree plug ends. So now I just need to decide between the three. Ben, that is a great idea with the removal of the writing. I too have been going out of my way to keep names of this thing until they start pitching in either money or start busting their knuckles.

The whole reason I started this thread was because of the Taylor brand as I had never heard of them! I searched the web for Taylor reviews and the feed back was about 50/50, so the search was on. I've looked at MSD but way to expensive and only comes in black and red. I've narrowed it down to Accel, Moroso and the Taylors. The only thing I was really looking for was 8mm universal (trim able), blue wire and 90 degree plug ends. So now I just need to decide between the three. Ben, that is a great idea with the removal of the writing. I too have been going out of my way to keep names of this thing until they start pitching in either money or start busting their knuckles.
You won't go wrong with Accels. You can't beat their short wire runs and machine-crimped connectors with cut-your-own. Fancy wires won't increase performance, but they may last longer. But 2 sets of Accel is still cheaper.

Bought 2 semi-finished[1 end installed] at a swap meet 15 years ago for $15... the moroso blue's have been on for the last 13 years/37k miles .... maybe someday I'll get to try out the accell's..

dave

Just thought I'd let you know that I went with the Accel 8mm spiral core. I ran Accel back in the day and never had a problem with them. So I dove back in and went with what I had used in the past and had faith in. I have a fondness for Accel anyways. I will also be running an Accel distributer and have already got my hands on a couple of sets of NOS yellow jackets. Thanks for the help.

I run the Taylor wires as well, nice fit without a lot of slack.
I was planning on "cutting my own" but I came to the realization that I could not make them any better.

I just installed a set of Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro Universal (cut-your-own) wires, but I will never do it again. Pushing the wires back and forth through the boots is extremely difficult, not worth the grief even if it does make for a better fit (and I'm not certain it does). The wires and boots are very good quality, but I would never recommend this method to anyone.

Jack

I like the custom fit & look you get with the cut your own. Use silicone spray and the boots will slide back and forth with ease. Cutting your own does take a lot of extra time because of the added steps I agree, but looks much better then some of the plug wire jobs we've all seen at car shows. I've seen some that would give spaghetti puke a run for it's money. Here is a couple of pictures of how mine turned out. Keep in mind that I have a different distributer and cap that I'll be putting on after initial start up. I'm a firm believer that one shouldn't change to many things at once incase there are problems.

100_5328_zpsf3cb8617.jpg

100_5327_zps38453a16.jpg

100_5329_zpsdc623db6.jpg

Looks great! I have the "made for you" wire separators as well and like them alot.

+1 on the silicone spray when putting together a custom set.

I liked the Taylors as well as the 135* boot seems to fit a sbf perfectly. I have used accel and MSD wires before as well. The Taylor custom fits are my favorite however. I also found the Accel's would burn easily (now this was years ago) where as the Taylors could almost lay right on the header tube and not burn through.

I have also used wd 40 when I didn't have silicone spray and the wire will shoot right through the boot with no effort.

Use silicone spray and the boots will slide back and forth with ease.

Not to start an argument, but that definitely wasn't the case with the wires I bought. I tried silicone spray, Teflon dry lube and WD-40 (the WD-40 worked best). So much force was required to insert the wires into the right-angle boots, I was afraid I was damaging the wires. I even had to put on leather shop gloves because my hands kept slipping up the wire. Just my $.02...

Not to start an argument, but that definitely wasn't the case with the wires I bought. I tried silicone spray, Teflon dry lube and WD-40 (the WD-40 worked best). So much force was required to insert the wires into the right-angle boots, I was afraid I was damaging the wires. I even had to put on leather shop gloves because my hands kept slipping up the wire. Just my $.02...

I spray the wire as well as the boot to help. If you just do one or the other the tightness of the boot strips off the lubricant leaving it hard to do. If it will only go a bit and gets hard pull it back a little and spray some more wd40 on it. About the only problem I have is the wires are so lubed up sometimes they are hard to push because I can't get a grip on the wires. lol.

I spray the wire as well as the boot to help.

I did exactly what you did. Toward the end, I was practically filing up the boots with WD-40 to try to make it easier. It is evident from this discussion that not all Taylor wires are the same. No one could have assembled the set I bought and thought it was anything other than a huge PITA. They're pretty though, I'll give 'em that.

p610765951-4.jpg

If any of you ever start using plug wire sleeves for additional insulation, the secret to sliding it on is to have a helper whisper a bit of compressed air from the end of the sleeving. Start the wire into the sleeve and then just use a wee bit of air into the sleeve from the opposite end and the wire will push right through, slick as a whistle. :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back