Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

spring perch height

Testmule

Can anyone tell me the approximate finished height of a T-bucket frame perch on a finished car? i'm starting a 27 lakester project and plan on lowering the chassis closer to the ground than a standard T-bucket. I figured with a approx. height from a finished car that i might have a place to start planning.

Can anyone tell me the approximate finished height of a T-bucket frame perch on a finished car? i'm starting a 27 lakester project and plan on lowering the chassis closer to the ground than a standard T-bucket. I figured with a approx. height from a finished car that i might have a place to start planning.
A lot of variables here: drop axle(how much),front wheel/tire overall diameter,spring arch,etc.I first used Speedway's perch,mocked everything up,didn't like it,and made my own perch to get a 2" lower drop.The flat plate of the perch sits about 3" above the top of the round front crossmember.See "40 Year Dream" in the Gallery.Keep in mind you need about 4" ground clearance and some wiggle room between suspension parts for travel(at least 1").Hope this helps.

When I set up a chassis I use a 4" dropped axle, bat wings with the spring mount about even with the top of the axle and the spring perch even with the top of the front cross member. With a 27" tire on the front, the perch is about 8 to 9 inches of the floor. This way the engine nestles nicely down in the frame rails and you have about 5-6 inches of pan clearence.

It's really a matter of personal prefrence. This is where a mock up of your major components answers many of your questions.

Ron

I am just starting my T and I too asked that same question awhile back. Now I know the question is so vague without all the variables, frame, axles, drop, wheels, tires, etc etc, a person just cannot answer it. What would be 8'' on one car would need to be 12'' on another. But , I understand what you are trying to ask is, where do I start? Like Hotrodman and youngster said, it is a matter of personal prefrence, do a mock up, and have plenty of ground clearance.

Having said that, you can do like I did. I blocked the frame up on the floor, hooked the axle up with the spindles, measured the distance from the center of the spindle to the ground, went online to a tire size calculator, bought some cheap used tires and wheels to make sure it was what I was looking for. Not to mention that it's a great way to move it around while under construction.

FYI my wife said the car was too low and my son said it was to high.

Bobby

When I set up a chassis I use a 4" dropped axle, bat wings with the spring mount about even with the top of the axle and the spring perch even with the top of the front cross member. With a 27" tire on the front, the perch is about 8 to 9 inches of the floor. This way the engine nestles nicely down in the frame rails and you have about 5-6 inches of pan clearence.

It's really a matter of personal prefrence. This is where a mock up of your major components answers many of your questions.

Ron

Thanks for the info.I'm planning to mock up all of the associated parts, wheels, tires engine and will purchase an axle kit from one of the site sponsors. I've been a race car fabricator most of my life and believe there is no such thing as too much info! I originally planned on a 32 roadster, there are too many out there. With my abilities I would rather build something a little different. the 27 Lakester bodies look like the have plenty of room, being 6'3" I'll need it. My biggest concern is the car not being too high off of the ground.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back