Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starter and solenoid question.

tfeverfred

I'm planning to try and wire my T on my lonesome. With the help of some very good schematics from KoalaT. In his drawing, the starter solenoid has 3 connections on it, "BATT", "R" and "S". However, my starter solenoid only has "BATT" and "S". Why is that and how will I hook it up to the switch?:confused:

No one?:confused:

The "R" terminal is only used if you are running a points type ignition. I checked your build thread and it looks like you have an electronic ignition(HEI), don't worry about not having the "R" terminal.

The "S" terminal hooks up to the "start" position on your ignition switch.

Mike

Hotrod46 said:
The "R" terminal is only used if you are running a points type ignition. I checked your build thread and it looks like you have an electronic ignition(HEI), don't worry about not having the "R" terminal.

The "S" terminal hooks up to the "start" position on your ignition switch.

Mike

okay, but in the drawing I have, there is a connection going from "R" to the "IGN" side of the ignition switch.:confused:

Here is the drawing I'll be working from:

START__RUN_CIRCUIT.jpg

I'm not sure about your diagram, but all you need with an HEI is a wire to the "IGN" post on your switch. This wire should have +12 volts with the key on. The other end hooks up to the power terminal on the distributor cap. Be careful because there is a "tach" terminal right beside it, don't hook it up to the wrong terminal. I'm pretty sure they are marked.

The "R" post on the soleniod was there to bypass the ignition resistor that was on the old point ignitions. It supplied full 12 volts to the points for easier starting. The HEI's get full 12 volts all the time and don't need this feature. KoalaT may have thought you had points.

BTW be sure to use 10 guage wire for the HEI power feed. They draw a lot of current.

Hope this helps.

Mike

That diagram is for a point type ignition. Actually, that wire your talking about should go to the coil side of the resistor not to the ignition switch as shown.

Have you changed the distrbutor from the one shown in the pics(without the body)? If your still running the large cap HEI the wiring is pretty simple.

You posted the diagram while I was typing!

RPM said:
What kind of an alternator you going to use? 1 or 3 wire?

3 wire....

Hotrod46 said:
I'm not sure about your diagram, but all you need with an HEI is a wire to the "IGN" post on your switch. This wire should have +12 volts with the key on. The other end hooks up to the power terminal on the distributor cap. Be careful because there is a "tach" terminal right beside it, don't hook it up to the wrong terminal. I'm pretty sure they are marked.

The "R" post on the soleniod was there to bypass the ignition resistor that was on the old point ignitions. It supplied full 12 volts to the points for easier starting. The HEI's get full 12 volts all the time and don't need this feature. KoalaT may have thought you had points.

BTW be sure to use 10 guage wire for the HEI power feed. They draw a lot of current.

Hope this helps.

Mike

So, I just run a wire from "IGN" to the distributor?

Thanks guys. this helped ease my mind. I'll be sure to let Kaola know that I have an HEI.

Electricity is STILL the DEVIL!:dance: But, I'm gonna kick his butt!:mad: My war face! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Oh, the voltmeter ia acually a one wire alternator. Typo.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back