Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starter obstructing vega steering joint

Daniel

Hello to all.

I've been slowly assembling a '23 Spirit t-bucket. I'm assuming that this frame was designed for a Chevy motor. I'm using an Olds big block. I discovered to my horror that my mini starter motor and possibly even the block is partially obstructing the path between the vega steering box and the steering column. Thanks GM for keeping stuff similar between your divisions! At any rate, I'm sure that I'm not the first to encounter this problem. Room is tight in this area and space is at a premium. The starter body is about 1.5 inches from the frame while the starter mounting block is a bit over 2 inches.

I know that you can purchase a double u-joint, but unless I move the steering column closer to the frame and further inside the cabin this won't solve my problem. I've also considered drilling new holes in my steering box bracket and moving the box further out, but I may be creating more problems then I solve. Any ideas???

Thanks for any input.

Daniel

PICTURES!!! We need pics. You have to have a monologue with your self a few times (need 10 posts to post pics)

I had issues changing the steering in mine and had to experiment with steering box location, steering column location, etc to clear the clutch linkage, etc. I ended up using a double u joint. Detailed pics will definitely help the guys on here make better suggestions. Have you already chosen a steering column? There are various options that allow variations in the shaft angle, etc.

Thanks for the replies... Yeah I have photos to post. Guess HenrysT was right about posting until I get past ten.

Fletcherson, I have a Flaming River steering column with a 2"od and a DD setup.

This should bemy 8th post. Lol

Now I'm a moron AND I'm talking to myself. I can't post any pics. Am I missing any special instructions for posting pics???

In the top photo the starter is on the left, steering joint in the center, and frame is on the right.

The second photo is taken from above.
I'll be glad to take some more pics if it would help.

Thanks,

Daniel

You may need to notch out the frame for joint clearance, plus move the box a bit to the left, then box the notch back in for strength. Need the frame experts to chime in for this one. 1 1/2 " isn't much to work with if the u-joint is probably 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 diameter.

What transmission are you using? Is there any way to drill and tap to move the starter to the other side? I remember someone either had a starter mount bellhousing or something to allow this, but I don't remember the details. The frame notching is a definite possibility, but it would need to be boxed or channeled or reinforced some how. The reason I asked about the column is Ive seen cars that use short, high mounted columns and rout the steering shaft via joints and short shafts to clearance various components. It's hard to tell from the photos, but could you use a joint at the box with a short shaft to another joint to the column to get past the starter? Also moving the steering box isn't unheard of, you just have to change the other related components. I am a BOP guy and I never understood why GM did that. Of all things that interchange, why not that? They did, at least, start offering a multi case auto transmission.

Thanks for the replies.

Choppedtop, I've had the same thoughts about notching and boxing the frame. I would be very interested in some input as to frame strength with such a modification. Olds motors are very torquey. I estimate mine to be close to 600ft/lbs, so modifying the frame may not be an option for me.

Fletcherson, you've asked some good questions I'll have to find out. I'm not sure, but I don't think I can re-locate the starter to the passenger side. I will investigate for sure though. As to the tranny, its a short BOP Turbo 400.
I like the idea of the joints seperated by a small shaft.

Much thanks,

Daniel

Thanks for the replies.

Choppedtop, I've had the same thoughts about notching and boxing the frame. I would be very interested in some input as to frame strength with such a modification. Olds motors are very torquey. I estimate mine to be close to 600ft/lbs, so modifying the frame may not be an option for me.

Fletcherson, you've asked some good questions I'll have to find out. I'm not sure, but I don't think I can re-locate the starter to the passenger side. I will investigate for sure though. As to the tranny, its a short BOP Turbo 400.
I like the idea of the joints seperated by a small shaft.

Much thanks,

Daniel
There are tons of joints and shafts in many variations available on eBay for resonable prices. Borgeson also makes quality joints and has a plethora of them and has a informative site. Don't let it confuse you with all of the variations. You will likely have to adapt from one or more shaft type or spline to accomplish your goal, but there are pleanty of options to achieve it, just do some homework to assure everything is compatible with what you have. You may have to add a bearing block also, depending on geometry. The reason I asked about the tranny, if it was standard shift, Chevy truck bells have the starter mounts in them, and a adapter plate for the top two bell housing bolt holes would allow a re configure. I love the torque of the bop engines. I have a 67 firebird drop top with a 455-4 speed with a t56 on reserve and a 69 skylark drop top with a 350, but I have a 455 with a 200r4 conversion on tap. It's nice to see one in a bucket! I'll be watching your build.

Thanks Fletcherson for the info, I will definitely do some homework. Do the short shafts you mention or bearings have a particular name that I should be on the lookout for???

You and I may be kindred spirits....I have a '68 442 convertible with a very healthy 60 over 455 mated to a t56 running to a ford 9". We need to talk sometime.....

Thanks again,

Daniel

I think you would be better off, to not use the Vega under frame, and switch to a Corvair above the frame. You just need to make sure the Corvair will clear the rear exhaust tube. The Corvair sets on top of the frame right in front of the firewall.

Back in the Mid 60's a farmer gave a 54 Ford car, Crestline I believe. The engine was blown up. I got an Oldsmobile out of a car from an other farmer for just hauling off the car to the junk yard. I had the same problem with the steering column. Never solved it. I just drove around with out a starter for about 6 months. I lived in Southern Ohio with a lot of rolling hills. With proper planning and push help from your buddies I always got it started by rolling a few feet and popping the clutch in2nd gear.

There were adapters from California to move the starter to passenger side but that was cost prohibitive for me. I used the 90 degree bends from and old metal bed frame to hook up the exhaust.

I was younger then but I am older now and I know what can't be accomplished now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back