Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starter obstructing vega steering joint

Thanks Fletcherson for the info, I will definitely do some homework. Do the short shafts you mention or bearings have a particular name that I should be on the lookout for???

You and I may be kindred spirits....I have a '68 442 convertible with a very healthy 60 over 455 mated to a t56 running to a ford 9". We need to talk sometime.....

Thanks again,

Daniel
If you start looking, there are various size and shaped shafts, etc. the round ones are likely better suited to use a bearing, but they are designed to be welded. It just depends on your setup. RPM has the right idea with the reversed corvair box if you have room for it. I don't know if you will or not, I have a 427 in my T and it would have been very tight, like grind stuff off tight, so I went with the vega under box. If I were you, I'd look into the starter relocation option before committing to spending several bones on steering parts just to have some informed options. Nothing to lose at this point but some time on the net, lol.

The body spacers on my car threw me off. Had to use a double U joint. Also had to make spacer bushings on an angle. Going to fix this right this winter but for now the car should be safe to drive. So far 3 mistakes on this thing. Also have a column shift. Took a good week to sort this mess out.
C0893E92-769F-41A1-A751-F79FBC42BC16.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

Fletcherson is right, all I have to lose at this point is some research time online. I'm looking at each suggestion. Like Butch27 said, I would greatly prefer to make no modifications to the frame.

RPM and another also suggested looking into relocating the starter. I've searched and searched to no avail yet....I've seen over years of posts on websites a few interested in relocating the starter with no success. I have to wonder though, if it was possible would it be worth drilling and tapping into a completed engine for the starter mount, relocating my oil filter, and modifying my exhaust?

I'm interested in the corvair steering box suggestion, but again the exahust issue... maybe someone could post a link or some corvair box specs. I'd hate to spend money needlessly.

Also, I haven't had much luck searching for short, intermediate shafts between steering joints, as have been suggested. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Any suggestions for that and any websites???

Lastly, IF I were to move my vega box slightly further out, closer to the frame, would I be creating any steering problems or altering any steering geometry (if it exists!) negatively?

Much thanks,

Daniel

Why not move that Vega box forward and use it for a cross steer setup? That way your starter is clear of the box.

Jim

Ex Junk, thats a super cool idea! I couldn't tell in the pic, but what about the pitman (steering arm) and interference with the radius rod? This is exciting, another option!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Fletcherson is right, all I have to lose at this point is some research time online. I'm looking at each suggestion. Like Butch27 said, I would greatly prefer to make no modifications to the frame.

RPM and another also suggested looking into relocating the starter. I've searched and searched to no avail yet....I've seen over years of posts on websites a few interested in relocating the starter with no success. I have to wonder though, if it was possible would it be worth drilling and tapping into a completed engine for the starter mount, relocating my oil filter, and modifying my exhaust?

I'm interested in the corvair steering box suggestion, but again the exahust issue... maybe someone could post a link or some corvair box specs. I'd hate to spend money needlessly.

Also, I haven't had much luck searching for short, intermediate shafts between steering joints, as have been suggested. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Any suggestions for that and any websites???

Lastly, IF I were to move my vega box slightly further out, closer to the frame, would I be creating any steering problems or altering any steering geometry (if it exists!) negatively?

Much thanks,

Daniel
You might try Jeggs or summit to find the joints. I think that's where I bought mine, but it took me to the "Borgeson" site, they make them and their site has all kinds of them as well as technical info, etc. I just typed in "Borgeson" on the search engine and their site came up. Try them.

I just spent a few minutes looking for you, trans dapt didn't have anything listed, but butler performance had a adapter plate that the starter bolts to that goes between the engine and bell housing. That may work. You may want to contact them with your dilemma, I bet they have dealt with that issue before. Ive used trans dapt stuff for all kinds of swaps. They may also have something that's not listed on their site. It may be worth sending them an email too. Happy hunting! Good luck. Ps, there are likely many pics and articles of the cross steer setup on this site. Do some digging in the various forums on here.

Ex Junk, thats a super cool idea! I couldn't tell in the pic, but what about the pitman (steering arm) and interference with the radius rod? This is exciting, another option!!!

Daniel, I hope that these couple of pictures that I have on file may answer your questions.

From the pitman arm there is a rod that goes low and behind the radiator, through the four bar or radius rod and connects to a steering arm behind the spindle on the right wheel.

In front there is the tie rod that connects the right and left wheel.

I hope that this helps explain things for you.

Jim

Here is a few shots of the Vega setup on mine. Its cross steer similar to ExJunks, but pinched rails and a SBF which puts the fuel pump (since removed for an electric) and oil filter in the same real estate. I was able to use some dropped arms from Speedway to get the tie rod and steering link within the hairpins behind the axle and not in front. Note I'm also running a 6" drop axle. Maybe this will help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back